Notices

Old 30-06-21, 03:34
GM Fox I

Pic from end of day today.
Attached Thumbnails
June 29, 2021.JPG  
Old 30-06-21, 04:17

My Gosh, Bruce1

I can almost hear the chorehorse and dynamotors humming!

David
Old 30-06-21, 04:27
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
My Gosh, Bruce1

I can almost hear the chorehorse and dynamotors humming!

David
Ready to go...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01953.JPG   SIG61.JPG  
Old 01-07-21, 05:36
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post

If you were able to use the original, was there much work in repairing it?
Expanding on this, for what it's worth, sheet metal repairs have always scared me. Luckily CMPs are generally flat so complex compound curves and stampings are not a problem. And robust 18 gauge panels are way better than antique cars with their flimsy 22 gauge or thinner sections

Banged up sections are always a judgement call. Do you hammer them out or replace? If replace, can you match the contours of the original? If so, I've found pop rivets to align the new edges work...weld, then fill the rivet holes.

Filling holes has always been another problem. Bondo just didn't sit well with me and welding shut generally was messy and could distort if too much heat was applied. I've worked out a method where short MIG 'bursts' around the edge of the hole can fill it, followed by a reciprocal application on the inside, then grind smooth. I'm approaching 3/4" holes with some success.
Old 04-07-21, 04:45
GM Fox I

Found these on my phone, They rightly should be inserted several posts ago. Anyway, the old beast seen sporting it's green paint for the last time, getting blasted and the result waiting for me to drag home.
Attached Thumbnails
a1.jpg   a2.jpg   a3.JPG  
Old 09-07-21, 01:11
GM Fox I

Sliding rear body windows completed...

These are restoration projects in themselves and fabricating from scratch I don't want to even think about. Luckily the window tracks are still available (sold as 1947 GMC tracks). These will eventually get their black vinyl blackout curtains and note the padlock. It locks the vehicle on the outside but also the inside, presumably so the signalers won't be bothered or would have time to eat their code books if the Germans were trying to break in.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 3.JPG   Windows 1.JPG   Windows 2.JPG  
Old 09-07-21, 01:20

Nice , very nice job Bruce !
94 LSVW
Old 15-07-21, 02:53
GM Fox I

I thought the sliding roof hatch was going to be easy. It was NOS but stored outside (NOT BY ME!!!) and the weather did its mischief. Oh well. It's going to the sandblaster tomorrow.

What you may notice is that's it's got (now had) a fiber insulation meaning it was originally meant for a staff car HUP. The other change I have to make is to reposition the 'hold open' head banger piece (second pic, top left). HUP sliding hatches went all the way forward but wireless HUW hatches had to stop part way to prevent hitting the roof aerial brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   5.JPG   4.JPG  

Old 15-07-21, 09:17
Pieter Bergman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I thought the sliding roof hatch was going to be easy. It was NOS but stored outside (NOT BY ME!!!) and the weather did its mischief. Oh well. It's going to the sandblaster tomorrow.

What you may notice is that's it's got (now had) a fiber insulation meaning it was originally meant for a staff car HUP. The other change I have to make is to reposition the 'hold open' head banger piece (second pic, top left). HUP sliding hatches went all the way forward but wireless HUW hatches had to stop part way to prevent hitting the roof aerial brackets.

Hey Bruce,

Fantastic to see your progress , I'm at the hatch too don't know if your follow my FB page but otherwise I need to put some pictures up in this forum

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...d=1#post280521
Old 17-07-21, 01:16
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8threcce View Post
Hey Bruce,

Fantastic to see your progress , I'm at the hatch too don't know if your follow my FB page but otherwise I need to put some pictures up in this forum

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...d=1#post280521
I've watched your progress and all I can say is...well done!!! Everything you've fabricated looks spot on.

If you ever want to share notes please feel free.
Old 18-07-21, 04:18
GM Fox I

Many years ago some CMP gave up its cab roof hatch and it found its way to me. While that is a sad story, the CMP's hatch will live on and did reveal many secrets as to it's construction and installation which I have duly recorded.

RIP old unlamented CMP.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9674.JPG   DSCF9678.JPG   DSCF9688.JPG  
Old 19-07-21, 23:50
GM Fox I

Sometimes in the midst of doing the rusty parts or bodywork you give yourself a treat and put on something newly completed. Here's the folding table and map case attached to the rear door.
Attached Thumbnails
1a.JPG   1b.JPG   1c.JPG  
Old 20-07-21, 00:25

Hi Bruce.

I've heard of that combination of kit on the rear door, but this is the first time I have seen one.

The Table clearly sits too low to be of value inside the HUW, so is it safe to assume the intension is to provide an outside work surface under certain circumstances? Something along the lines of the large table stowed on the lower left front of the WIRE-5 2K1 Box, which could be deployed to the left outer side of the Box?

David
Old 20-07-21, 02:02
GM Fox I

Quote:
Hi Bruce.

I've heard of that combination of kit on the rear door, but this is the first time I have seen one.

The Table clearly sits too low to be of value inside the HUW, so is it safe to assume the intension is to provide an outside work surface under certain circumstances? Something along the lines of the large table stowed on the lower left front of the WIRE-5 2K1 Box, which could be deployed to the left outer side of the Box?

David
Yes it's an outside thing. I guess the signaler in the rear-most sidesaddle seat could open it enough (but just enough) to get maps out of it on the move. There is a hook and ring (seen in the factory back end photo) to keep the door open at 90 degrees. Yet another part I have to make. Oddly despite this outside table HUWs never were equipped with a penthouse as other HUPs were. Maybe they considered it but gave up when they discovered there wasn't a scrap of spare space left to stow it.
Old 20-07-21, 22:02
GM Fox I

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. HUP sliding roof hatches have two rod contraptions that are used to unlock and slide the hatch open. On the outside are four pivots on bronze wheels attached to springs which, when the rods unlock the hatch, lift it so it unseals and can slide.

All of these were seized solid on my 'NOS' hatch. I'm happy to report the rods cleaned up beautifully and what a piece of engineering they are. The pivots each have spring and ball bearing plungers to keep the rods horizontal and the handles have spring loaded levers and a latch to keep them closed. Everything now works as it should and they will get a coat of gloss white paint.

The outers didn't fare as well, they are rusted beyond repair and need to be fabricated. Luckily the levers and rollers are recoverable and only the tubes and inner shafts need to be made, both from easy to get material.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9694.JPG   DSCF9695.JPG   DSCF9696.JPG  
Old 23-07-21, 04:41
GM Fox I

So here's a question for Mr. Bergeron and Mr. Baker, and hopefully Chris (da signals goo-roo) Suslowicz:

All three lightweight CMP wireless trucks, C-15A WIRE-5 with the 2K1 body, C-15A WIRE-3 with a modified GS body and C-8A WIRE-1/WIRE-2 (HUW) based on the Chev Heavy Utility have five seats, two in the cab for a driver and co-driver and three in the back, one facing the wireless table and two others.

I have always assumed this meant a crew of five. But then I looked at the space required for five signalers, their kit, rations, greatcoats and see a problem. All that shi-et won't fit!! Plus, it really doesn't take five people to set up a wireless station and I can't see the army condoning the driver and co-driver twiddling their thumbs while the signalers set up their bits.

So my question is this...did the crew consist of five members or was it less and some of the crew occupied either the cab or rear seats as needed? I half doubt this because the rear seats do not appear to offer any benefit other than a place to seat one's arse when on the move so functionality may not be the reason for them.

What was the compliment for these wireless trucks?
Old 23-07-21, 05:14

Hi Bruce.

The 2K1 WIRE-5 Crew Compliment was only 4: Driver and Co-Driver in the Cab and two in the Box.

The Wireless Operator was centred facing forward in front of the Wireless Table and the Cypher Clerk faced left on the left rear side of the floor in front of the left rear window with the mailbox slot in the screen and the small folding table on the side wall below the rear window. Their seats were identical to the Cab Seats but mounted on different brackets on the floor. The arrangement allowed for the Generator Compartment Door to be swing wide open when necessary. The arrangement also allowed easy access for both men to the overhead Signal Buzzer Cord strung along the left side of the ceiling about a quarter of the way in from the left side wall.

I think I read somewhere as well that the Co-Driver was a Senior NCO in charge of the 4-Man Team.

Cozy, but doable arrangement.

David
Old 23-07-21, 05:25
GM Fox I

24 hour watch? Sleep? Was there overlap between the drivers and signalers? I know how it was done in the late 1970's/early 1980's but don't know if that is relevant.

Quote:
Hi Bruce.

The 2K1 WIRE-5 Crew Compliment was only 4: Driver and Co-Driver in the Cab and two in the Box.

The Wireless Operator was centred facing forward in front of the Wireless Table and the Cypher Clerk faced left on the left rear side of the floor in front of the left rear window with the mailbox slot in the screen and the small folding table on the side wall below the rear window. Their seats were identical to the Cab Seats but mounted on different brackets on the floor. The arrangement allowed for the Generator Compartment Door to be swing wide open when necessary. The arrangement also allowed easy access for both men to the overhead Signal Buzzer Cord strung along the left side of the ceiling about a quarter of the way in from the left side wall.

I think I read somewhere as well that the Co-Driver was a Senior NCO in charge of the 4-Man Team.

Cozy, but doable arrangement.

David
Old 08-08-21, 02:33
GM Fox I

Whereas working on a CMP is always exciting I'd be lying if I didn't admit some tasks turn my crank more than others. The heat in the garage today sucked my higher ambitions so I did some 'grunt work' instead.

I removed and replaced the rotten rain gutter and door stops...it's all got to be done in the end. First pic is the scrambled originals against my newly fabricated ones and second is them assembled in place.
Attached Thumbnails
RG1.JPG   RG2.JPG  
Old 08-08-21, 06:41

Nice work, Bruce.

David
Old 05-09-21, 02:21
GM Fox I

Silence does not mean lack of progress, just routine bodywork I'm sure would bore you.

That said, I've completed what needs to be done from the back to the cab, inside and out. Weather permitting I will prime it tomorrow then nose it into my workspace to do similar patching and straightening for the cab. Oh, and weld in the bins. I SO want to weld in the bins.

Side project is replacing a piece of the rear right fender that someone chopped off.
Attached Thumbnails
Sept. 4, 2021.JPG   Fenders.JPG  
Old 06-09-21, 00:44
GM Fox I

Now primed, the back end anyway. Putting the bins, wireless table, etc. in (placed, not welded) was a frivolous, unnecessary thing but I just had to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG   5.JPG  

Old 06-09-21, 03:33

Looks great Bruce. I can’t wait to see your truck setup beside my truck one day.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-09-21, 04:13
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Looks great Bruce. I can’t wait to see your truck setup beside my truck one day.
Thanks Jordan, you've been a big help and inspiration on this project for me.
Old 12-09-21, 04:18
GM Fox I

Rear fenders are on and running boards repaired, straightened and patched (there was a torched 'bite' out of one and several bangs and broken welds; the old girl led a battered life). I had sandblasted these decades ago and they required cleaning up with a cupped wire wheel on my 9" grinder (the one tool that still scares me).

The rear fenders are ambidextrous which allowed me to choose the best ends where they would be the most showy, and so hiding any flaws in my replacement patch.

Oh, and dem baby bins are well and truly welded in!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9777.JPG  
Old 12-09-21, 04:47

Nice bit of progress, Bruce!

David
Old 01-10-21, 02:51
GM Fox I

Test fitting the 'charging set' on its quick release rails in the generator cabinet, upper rear left corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Gen2.JPG   Gen1.JPG  
Old 01-10-21, 03:16

Evening, Bruce.

Is there any hard pipe and muffler set up in this vehicle for the Chore-horse, or does it just free breath in its Compartment with its mushroom muffler fitted?

David
Old 01-10-21, 03:34
GM Fox I

Quote:
Evening, Bruce.

Is there any hard pipe and muffler set up in this vehicle for the Chore-horse, or does it just free breath in its Compartment with its mushroom muffler fitted?

David
The chorehorse exhaust elbows to a pipe fitted through the cabinet floor, which pipe then runs inside the vehicle (acting as a heater perhaps?) exiting through the vehicle floor so venting under the vehicle. Photos show no mushroom muffler so perhaps there was sufficient noise deadening with the 4 feet or so of steel piping. When I fire it up I'll let you know!!
Old 13-10-21, 03:23
GM Fox I

I hauled it out of the garage today to turn it around so I can work on the cab. Space is not something I have a lot of so such maneuvers are necessary. Still, I was able to get some 'outside' pics.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg