MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-01-04, 14:26

Default Liberation of France

Hi !!
I live in Tourcoing in the North of France et I am looking for the Canadian unit who is enter in my town on the 2nd september in 1944. It's actually difficult to find informations because Tourcoing were between the 1st Canadian Army (2nd ID ?) and the 2nd British Army. But civil witnesses told me that it was a Canadian unit who entered first in the town and I saw a film of the liberation where we can see Canadian bikers driving in the town-center.
My aim is to honorate the Canadian troops who fought for the liberation of France and to make an exposition in the museum on the WW2 in Tourcoing. (www.museedu5juin1944.asso.fr)
I need some help to find the unit who entered in my town, does anyone know websites where I woud find some informations ?
Thanks a lot.

Note: I hope my english is not too bad
Old 22-01-04, 18:28
Mild Steel Prototype

According to the divisional history, the British 7th Armoured Division passed southeast of Lille (Carvin and Seclin) on the 4th of September while driving towards Ghent. Presumably the 1st Canadian Army forces followed up during the process of clearing the Channel ports. I will try to find out the story of the liberation of Lille and follow on to Tourcoing from there, but September 2nd seems an unlikely date. Was it September 12th?
Old 22-01-04, 19:54
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Tourcoing

Julien;

Tourcoing was liberated by either units of the British 7th Armoured Division or by units of the British 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division. Tourcoing was within the zone of operations of the 2nd British Army. I will post more details after doing some research on this.

Cheers
Old 22-01-04, 22:36
Mild Steel Prototype

More relevant (I hope!) info. Credit for liberting Lille is given to elements of the British 8th Armoured Brigade (a combined force from the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards and the 12th Kings Royal Rifle Corps). At the time 8th Armoured Brigade was attached to 50th Infantry Division. However, this force was then withdrawn and sent with the rest of 50th Division to guard the flank of the advance between Ghent and Antwerp. So it's possible the British didn't reach Tourcoming at this time.
Old 23-01-04, 04:03
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Tourcoing - Liberated

Julien;

Have done a bit of research and this is what I've found: At 9pm on 5 Sept 44, Tourcoring was entered by "B" Squadron of the 53rd Reconnaissance Regiment (British 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division) and was reported clear of the enemy.

I have found no other information regarding any units either Canadian or British having entered Tourcoring prior to the entry of "B" Sqn, 53 Recce on 5 Sept.

Sources:

- The History of the 53rd (Welsh) Division in the Second World War
- Only The Enemy In Front, The Reconnaissance Corps at War 1940-1946
- War Diary, 53 Recce, 1944: PRO WO171/565

Cheers
Old 23-01-04, 09:06

Mark and Colin : Thanks a lot for all yours informations.
Actually, Germans (Head Quarter of the 15th german army) left quickly Tourcoing on the 2nd september and the résistants of the town "saved themself" Tourcoing. I don't remember when the allied troops entered in the town. Tomorow, I will try to watch again the film-pictures of the Liberation of Tourcoing and to meet civil witnesses.
Thank you again for this informations !

Cheers

Julien
Old 23-01-04, 15:12
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Tourcoing

Julien;

A bit of a follow-up. The only other reference I've found to Allied troops in Tourcoing is that on 7 Sep 44, 227th Highland Infantry Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division, mounted on T.C.V.'s, passed through Tourcoing on the route St. Pol-Lille-Tourcoing-Rubaix, to cross the frontier into Belgium at Moscrum. Have found no other references to Tourcoing in any Divisional History or Unit History or Diary.

Source - The History of the Fifteenth Scottish Division 1939-1945

Cheers
Old 27-01-04, 14:03

Thanks la lot for this informations. What does mean "T.C.V.'s" ?
On sunday, I have talked with two civilians who were teens on september 44 et they don't remember exactly if the first troops are British or Canadian because they were too young to recognize them. I have not watch the movie on the Liberation of Tourcoing but I will try to watch it on saturday...picture by picture.
I keep contact

Cheers
Julien
Old 27-01-04, 22:49
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Julien
What does mean "T.C.V.'s" ?
Julien;

T.C.V.'s means - Troop Carrying Vehicles.

Cheers