MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-22, 21:49
Lynn Eades's Avatar
Lynn Eades Lynn Eades is offline
Bluebell
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Posts: 5,468
Default The Queen

It is a sad day to wake up and hear that the Queen has passed. I am not what one might call a Royal ( I did, a long time ago, swear allegiance to the crown) To me, she has been absolutely stellar. in every respect. I will miss the stability that she brought to the world. My respect to her.
__________________
Bluebell

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-22, 22:13
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
It is a sad day to wake up and hear that the Queen has passed. I am not what one might call a Royal ( I did, a long time ago, swear allegiance to the crown) To me, she has been absolutely stellar. in every respect. I will miss the stability that she brought to the world. My respect to her.
Yes, this is very sad. She has been my Queen, Canada's Queen all my life and as good a one as you will ever get. This will take some time to fully sink in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-22, 22:18
Gordon Yeo Gordon Yeo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Clinton Ontario
Posts: 398
Default

To borrow from another source, the second Elizabethan Era has ended.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-22, 22:35
Petr Brezina Petr Brezina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 500
Default

Thank you for your service Your Majesty
R.I.P.
__________________
UCw Mk.III
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-22, 23:56
Hanno Spoelstra's Avatar
Hanno Spoelstra Hanno Spoelstra is offline
MLU Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 13,767
Default

R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth

Click image for larger version

Name:	E55F559B-C697-4907-A9D2-BD1C647DAD85.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	129996
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-22, 02:51
maple_leaf_eh maple_leaf_eh is offline
Terry Warner
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Shouting at clouds
Posts: 2,924
Default

I lowered my maple leaf flag to half mast in acknowledgement. Tomorrow I will join two couples from the neighbourhood, and we will toast to her reign and to the new king. My wife bought a very pricey little bottle of Balmoral single malt scotch at Buckingham palace on one of her trips to UK. It has been in the cupboard waiting for such an occasion. (( Most single malt tastes like cough syrup, so I am going to enjoy the moment and hopefully the whiskey too. ))
__________________
Terry Warner

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-22, 03:11
Tony Smith's Avatar
Tony Smith Tony Smith is offline
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lithgow, NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
It is a sad day to wake up and hear that the Queen has passed. I am not what one might call a Royal ( I did, a long time ago, swear allegiance to the crown)
As did, I suspect, many here on this Forum. Sworn allegiance to the Sovereign, her Heirs and Successors . Same Crown, worn under different names around the world. For a large proportion of the world, for many generations still living in those countries, Queen Elizabeth has always been their Sovereign.

In Australia, the debate of becoming a Republic has been discussed a few times, but always put to rest out of respect while the Queen of Australia's reign continued, as being "not the right time to talk about it". Now that the "Heirs and Successors" come into play, I expect there will now be much vigorous discussion on the matter, based on there not (yet) being anywhere near as much respect for the new Monarch.

While the Queen did not play a direct role in the politics and governments of the Commonwealth, her presence gave a remarkable stability and moderation to those countries for 70 years that, I believe, has not been replicated anywhere else in the world in modern times, and quite possibly at any time in history.
__________________
You can help Keep Mapleleafup Up! See Here how you can help, and why you should!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-22, 03:38
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
As did, I suspect, many here on this Forum. Sworn allegiance to the Sovereign, her Heirs and Successors . Same Crown, worn under different names around the world. For a large proportion of the world, for many generations still living in those countries, Queen Elizabeth has always been their Sovereign.

In Australia, the debate of becoming a Republic has been discussed a few times, but always put to rest out of respect while the Queen of Australia's reign continued, as being "not the right time to talk about it". Now that the "Heirs and Successors" come into play, I expect there will now be much vigorous discussion on the matter, based on there not (yet) being anywhere near as much respect for the new Monarch.

While the Queen did not play a direct role in the politics and governments of the Commonwealth, her presence gave a remarkable stability and moderation to those countries for 70 years that, I believe, has not been replicated anywhere else in the world in modern times, and quite possibly at any time in history.
Well said, complete concurrence.

I knew it was coming, but hoped it wouldn't have started today, however the "scrap the Monarchy and become a republic more like the Americans (we hate)" crazies are out in force on this most solemn of days.

I've toasted Her passing with an old friend and we both got weepy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-22, 04:43
Darrell Zinck's Avatar
Darrell Zinck Darrell Zinck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 825
Default HM The Queen

I am sad. My only Queen for 56 years now.

Long live the King.

regards
Darrell
__________________
"Ever notice you run into the nicest people, in tanks?" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-22, 15:52
Little Jo's Avatar
Little Jo Little Jo is offline
Tony VAN RHODA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Strathalbyn South Australia
Posts: 874
Default Our queen

Our Queen. Phillip came to me today, and said it was time to go.

I looked at him and smiled, as I whispered that "I know"

I then turned and looked behind me,
and seen I was asleep.

All my Family were around me, and I could hear them weep.

I gently touched each shoulder, with Phillip by my side.
Then I turned away and walked, with My Angel guide.

Phillip held my hand, as he lead the way, to a world where Kings and Queens,
are Monarch's every day.

I was given a crown to wear, or a Halo known by some.
The difference is up here, they are worn by everyone.

I felt a sense of peace, my reign had seen its end.
70 years I had served my Country, as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years, for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again, in our Palace up above. RIP

“LONG LIVE THE KING”
__________________
Anthony (Tony) VAN RHODA.
Strathalbyn South Australia
Editor/Publisher; WVCG Magazine
1942 MB Willy Jeep. (Sold)
1944 No:4 Australia Army Trailer (Sold)
1990 Perentie Land Rover (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-22, 00:51
m606paz m606paz is offline
Mariano Paz
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina
Posts: 692
Default

From a very young age I have followed and admired the British culture, its culture and its customs. Argentina has many buildings and constructions made by the British, when they built the great railway network that my country came to have. Reading Winston Churchill's memoirs brought me closer to the monarchy and what it means for the entire commonwealth of nations. The death of the queen has been sad news, our newscasts followed the news at all hours. We will miss hearing from her.
Rest in Peace Dear Queen!
__________________
Mariano Paz
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-22, 10:19
Jon Skagfeld's Avatar
Jon Skagfeld Jon Skagfeld is offline
M38A1 CDN3
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Owen Sound ON
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
I lowered my maple leaf flag to half mast in acknowledgement. Tomorrow I will join two couples from the neighbourhood, and we will toast to her reign and to the new king. My wife bought a very pricey little bottle of Balmoral single malt scotch at Buckingham palace on one of her trips to UK. It has been in the cupboard waiting for such an occasion. (( Most single malt tastes like cough syrup, so I am going to enjoy the moment and hopefully the whiskey too. ))
I, too, lowered my flag to half staff (mast?)...it is the Union Jack on a 20' pole on my front lawn.

My other flag, the Red Ensign, flies horizontally and cannot, unfortunately, be lowered.
__________________
PRONTO SENDS
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-22, 12:12
Ganmain Tony's Avatar
Ganmain Tony Ganmain Tony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ganmain NSW Australia
Posts: 1,224
Default Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Out of all the Empires that have existed since time immemorial and of all the Monarchs that have ruled over them, how incredibly lucky I am to have lived all my life under the very, very best of them.
__________________
Pax Vobiscum.......may you eat three meals a day & have regular bowel movements.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15-09-22, 05:40
motto motto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodend,Victoria,Australia
Posts: 1,068
Default

That is one beautiful poem Tony.

David
__________________
Hell no! I'm not that old!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-10-22, 05:39
Little Jo's Avatar
Little Jo Little Jo is offline
Tony VAN RHODA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Strathalbyn South Australia
Posts: 874
Default HM Queen Elizabeth

Hi David

I couldn't resist posting it. I felt it to be a bit more personal than the normal condolences we use for funerals. I have been lucky to to have been alive to see her ascend to the throne and throughout her 70 year reign. I was lucky enough as a lad in the Cub Scouts, to have been part of a honour guard when she visited our small town of Renmark on the Murray during her Australia tour in 1953. Now We watch a new King. King Charles III on the Throne. A time in history we were all lucky to be part of.

Tony
__________________
Anthony (Tony) VAN RHODA.
Strathalbyn South Australia
Editor/Publisher; WVCG Magazine
1942 MB Willy Jeep. (Sold)
1944 No:4 Australia Army Trailer (Sold)
1990 Perentie Land Rover (Sold)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen's Diamond Jubilee Phil Waterman The Sergeants' Mess 3 04-06-12 16:56
Happy Birthday to the Queen Phil Waterman The Sergeants' Mess 23 23-04-06 06:22
King and Queen's visit to 1 Canadian Division David_Hayward (RIP) The Softskin Forum 19 15-02-06 12:41
The Queen's Visit Garry Shipton (RIP) The Sergeants' Mess 2 26-05-05 04:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016