MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-12-03, 23:11
Dog Robber

Default Yet another link

Some of you may have run across this one but I have not seen it posted on this BB.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/fsaquery./html

The site is roughly titled American Memory Library of Congress
B&W photos from FSA and OWI 1935-1945.

In short strokes it is a huge repository of photos of in the first instance something to do with farm reconstruction and rehabilitation (I haven't figured out what FSA is yet) and the Office of War Information.

It is fairly easy to negotiate, you only have to remember to select more than 100 images or that is all you will get on a given subject and it is best to select the thumbnail option which lets you flick through 40 pics at a time instead of just one.

There is not a heck of a lot of military pics but they are ones I have never seen in print when you find them. The only CMP I have found so far attributes them to part of US Lend Lease!!!

On the other hand, there are a lot of shots, not the best, of Studebakers and Diamond Ts in Persia as well as Jeeps etc.

The searches I have had the best luck with are as follows and I only hit this one last evening. Alcan...Lend Lease...Persia...Iran...Dodge...Truck.

If you are into vintage shots of civilian US and Canadian vehicles from the 20s to the 40s, there are hundreds of great shots of farm trucks, tractors, construction equipment, delivery trucks, well you name it and again, I have about every book ever printed on the subject and I have never seen these pics.

For Hanno, there are at least two shots of the India Pattern Armoured Car (Ford based I guess) that I had never seen and a couple of shots of them being assembled. This was in the Lend Lease search group.

There are several hundred more data bases linked into this site and as I have the time I will do more research. May be a dry hole but we crazies never give up, do we.

Happiest of New Years to all of my friends here on MLU

Bill Murray

Last edited by Bill Murray; 30-12-03 at 15:36.