MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 24-03-21, 11:25

Does anyone know if it's possible to find the original WD Census number for a Sexton. The hull number is 1164 and is a Sexton Mk2 from 1944. I have seen a table of WD numbers for each contract, but I have been told that the WD numbers weren't applied sequentially by hull number but rather adhoc as the vehicles were delivered.

Here's the vehicle in question, which a team of us are planning on restoring to running condition shortly on behalf of the Royal Artillery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sexton.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	121060
Old 24-03-21, 12:59
MLU Administrator

Hello Tom,

See the thread http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...serial numbers for some more info.

More later!
Old 24-03-21, 15:07

S234664. Can anyone else verify this?

Last edited by Jesse Browning; 24-03-21 at 15:14.
Old 25-03-21, 00:46
MLU Administrator

Default Sexton production data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to find the original WD Census number for a Sexton. The hull number is 1164 and is a Sexton Mk2 from 1944. I have seen a table of WD numbers for each contract, but I have been told that the WD numbers weren't applied sequentially by hull number but rather adhoc as the vehicles were delivered.
Hello Tom, the latter part is not correct for vehicles built under a contract for the British Ministry of Supply and Canadian DND (read more here). The Shop numbers on Ram, Grizzly and Sexton were all directly related to the census numbers.

I have combined the various bits of information on here (see the link above), my Sherman Register webpage plus a list of modifications listed in Data book - Tank type vehicles of Canadian manufacture into one table:

Name:	Sexton production data.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	121069

From this I deduce Shop No. 1164 is Sexton II delivered under S/M 1356 with census number S 234665.
Old 26-03-21, 12:10

Hello Hanno,

Many thanks for the information. It looks like the number that is currently on the Sexton is from another vehicle. We should be able to out the correct number on it now.

I'll update the forum with some pictures when we start the restoration.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 26-03-21, 21:13

Hanno,

I agree with your math regarding Sexton Shop number 1164, and WD number S234665.

Regarding:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
The Shop numbers on Ram, Grizzly and Sexton were all directly related to the census numbers.
The first 31 Ram I were assigned WD numbers out of sequence compared to the Shop number. Attached is an image from “Tanks Cruiser Ram I and Ram II, Instruction Book, May 1942” which shows the correct WD/Shop number relationship for the first 31 Ram I tanks.

Name:	1DD8E60A-BB8F-4997-9472-51274F62019C.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	607.3 KB
ID:	121107

The second image was captured from one of the CMHQ files. It is an extract from Dec 1943 planned data, so it includes too many Grizzlies and too few Sextons compared to the quantities that were actually produced.

Name:	A777FD26-5351-447D-AE7F-6DF3F4432608.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	121108
Old 28-03-21, 15:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Many thanks for the information. It looks like the number that is currently on the Sexton is from another vehicle. We should be able to out the correct number on it now.

I'll update the forum with some pictures when we start the restoration.
Hello Tom,

Thanks for tackling the restoration - these AFVs deserve to be more than static outside exhibits. Please keep us updated.
Old 28-03-21, 16:09
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Alford View Post
The first 31 Ram I were assigned WD numbers out of sequence compared to the Shop number. Attached is an image from “Tanks Cruiser Ram I and Ram II, Instruction Book, May 1942” which shows the correct WD/Shop number relationship for the first 31 Ram I tanks.
Hello Colin, thanks for those sharing those files, very interesting. I had read about the first batch of Rams being out of sequence, I gather this was likely due to starting up problems on the assembly line in the early days of organising mass production of cruiser tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Alford View Post
The second image was captured from one of the CMHQ files. It is an extract from Dec 1943 planned data, so it includes too many Grizzlies and too few Sextons compared to the quantities that were actually produced.
Nice to see part of the initial plans. Indeed Grizzly production was later curtailed to 188 units and the rest of the production capacity was used for Sexton production.
Old 28-03-21, 22:51

Hanno,

I’m happy to contribute when I can.

Colin
Old 30-03-21, 09:29

No problem Hanno, I’ll post some more pictures as we start the restoration. The Museum has to secure funding to get the engine repaired before we start to strip it down. Apparently it was a running vehicle in the 80s, but as someone blew the engine and then it was leant to a Museum in Aldershot and unfortunately stored outside where it has deteriorated. It’s still in pretty good condition though.

If anyone has any factory reference photos of the Sexton 2, I’d be grateful if they could post them on the forum, or point me to where they are on the net.

Many thanks,

Tom
Old 06-04-21, 23:50

Hello Gents,

We've managed to source the Army Key Card, from Bovington Tank Museum, for the project Sexton, and the WD serial number has been confirmed as S234665 as a few of you had stated. I will see if I can get a copy of the Key Card and post it on the forum.
Old 07-04-21, 09:04
MLU Administrator

That’s good to hear Tom, and it would be great to see a scan of the Key Card.

Good luck with the restoration, please keep us posted. I’ll check for reference photos.