MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-06, 11:12
Pieter Bergman

Default Recce Jeep

Hi Guys,

Firts of all, I'm new on this board, so let me introduce my self
My name is Pieter Bergman 43 of age and live in the town of Zuidlaren Netherlands liberated by the Canadian 8th Recce.
Collecting militaria since the age of 16 and since 15 years involved in mostly airwar research.

Currently I'm restoring a 44 Willys MB and I want to put the markings of the 8th Recce on my vehicle since this unit liberated the place where I live, I also want o add some field modifications on my jeep and was wondering if anyone on the board could tell me what kind of armamend the jeeps of the 8th recce had.
Does any one have pictures of 8th recce or other recce units??

Thanks for your help

Pieter
Old 07-08-06, 12:48
MLU Administrator

Hi Pieter, welcome to this forum! Glad to see another Dutchman here.

I don't have any info re. 8th Recce. You mention armament on jeeps - I have to still see the first picture of a Canadian Jeep with machine-guns or the like.

As a start, see Armoured Acorn > Canadian Vehicle Markings, Parts 9 for detailed info on how Canadian Jeeps were marked.

Did you try contacting the 8 Recce Association?

M.vr.groet,
Hanno
Old 07-08-06, 21:33
Pieter Bergman

Hi Hanno,

I have contacted the 8th Recce association but no result, they even asked on the latest reunion if the veterans have recollection of special jeeps but apparently nobody did, however I think I will add a lugage rack and some water/fuel cans to the side.
and maybe a small pedestall for a vickers on the right side depending if I can get a permit for the Vickers (will try thru KTR)

Regards

Pieter
Old 09-08-06, 17:07
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 8TH recce HQ
I have contacted the 8th Recce association but no result, they even asked on the latest reunion if the veterans have recollection of special jeeps but apparently nobody did
Pieter, if you can't find proof of any armed jeeps in use with 8th Recce (not all recce jeeps were heavily armed and/or modified), why don't you research a unit which operated in your neighbourhood that did have armed jeeps? If you are adamant about having (a) machine-gun(s) on your jeep, you can't do much better that recreating one of the jeeps of the 2nd and 3rd Régiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes (part of the British Special Air Service) who were in action in the North of the Netherlands during Operation Amherst in April 1945.

Pic below shows a French SAS-jeep at Noordbroek (source).
Attached Images

Old 09-08-06, 20:34
Pieter Bergman

Aaaaaaahhhh yes Hanno, that has been on my mind and I decided that that is going to be my second project.
Specially the window is a hard nut to crack but I have a friend checking out Wings and Wheels for a supplier that makes repro's

Thereason for choosing the 8th is that I'm originally from Delfzijl and live in Zuidlaren and have a great affection for Normandy.
I wanted that my jeep would have a link to all 3 so amongst a few other units the 8th was the most interesting.

Regards

Pieter
Old 10-08-06, 11:21
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 8TH recce HQ
Thereason for choosing the 8th is that I'm originally from Delfzijl and live in Zuidlaren and have a great affection for Normandy.
I wanted that my jeep would have a link to all 3 so amongst a few other units the 8th was the most interesting.
Pieter, well then what about doing your first one up as a plain jeep with the proper markings for 8th Recce, and kit out your second as a heavily armed French SAS jeep?

Hanno