MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-10-10, 22:38
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Made in Canada..More than CMP's and Carriers..

We should all buy products made in our own countries to support our job stats..no jobs..no money ....no country..
And I unfortunately buy those horrible,highly addictive, Australian little brown turds called Tit Tats or some other stupid name..and I have to close my eyes every time I come close to weigh scales..
I probably keep a whole platoon of Aussies working just to torture me with those ,most foul little devils..
Anyway..end on picking on our Commonwealth brothers and sisters..but buy local..

A physics teacher in high school, once told the students that while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would. With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good Canadian.

Check this out . I can verify this because I was in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the fun of it I was looking at the hose attachments . They were all made in China . The next day I was in Home Hardware and just for the fun of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in Canada! Start looking.

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job. So, after reading this e-mail, I think this lady is on the right track. Let's get behind her!
She said:

My grandson likes Hershey's candy . I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more .
My favourite toothpaste, Colgate, is made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything .

This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart . I needed 60W light bulbs . I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value. " I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this -in Canada in a company in Ontario .Their Equate products are also made in Canada, and are very good.

So throw out the myth that you can not find products you use every day that are made right here .

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in Canada . The job you save may be your own or your neighbour’s!(Your children & grandchildren, also)

If you accept this challenge, pass it on to others in your address book so we can all start buying Canadian, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened a decade ago.)

Let's get with the program . Help our fellow Canadians keep their jobs and create more jobs here in Canada .

If President Obama insists on a “Made in America ” policy, which is commendable of him, to support American workers, we should do likewise. BUY CANADIAN! Read the labels. Support Canadian jobs.

Old 05-10-10, 23:12
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Good on 'ya

I've been trying to at least be concious of the country of origin, but this would only ork with an honesty in labelling policy.

Checking out my clothes ( and I'm not a clothes-horse by any stretch of the imagination ) I finally found a set of dress pants "made in Canada"

The label was sewn on backwards.

...and the million grasshoppers slow down the train by greasing the tracks with their pulverised little bodies.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 06-10-10, 08:54
WO8 C15A 142736

I looked all through Home Hardware and didn't find anything made in Canada
Old 06-10-10, 10:26

Default Dont come the raw prawn... cobber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
And I unfortunately buy those horrible,highly addictive, Australian little brown turds called Tit Tats or some other stupid name..and I have to close my eyes every time I come close to weigh scales..
I probably keep a whole platoon of Aussies working just to torture me with those ,most foul little devils..

Tim Tams Alex and you just know you're gonna keep buying em 'cause they're a bloody good chockie biscuit.

At least they're made in Australia. I didnt think we made anything anymore. Cant even buy milk that's owned by an Australian company.

Not to mention every bit of pork, bacon or ham we buy comes from Canada!

Who would have thought it was so hard to grow a pig Down Under???

Last edited by Ganmain Tony; 06-10-10 at 13:20.
Old 06-10-10, 20:37

Default made in Canada

its a sad fact of life than nearly everything in the shops today comes from China....seems supermarkets can sell meat from any county as made in UK if its packaged here....Im always telling my wife to buy meat from the butcher and not the supermarket as once the butcher closes its the end! cheers malcolm
Old 07-10-10, 10:46
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Made in Canada..More than CMP's and Carriers..

The governing principle I use when making purchases here in the U.S. is American made first, then secondly; countries that are allies of ours with similar wages, environmental standards, and trade practices....when possible! Further, I let the proprietor know of my displeasure when I can't find an item that I need that isn't made in China, Russia, Pakistan, Vietnam, Taiwan, or Lower Slobovia. I may be pissing into the wind, but if a billion grasshoppers all pissed into the wind simultaneously, well, one could only imagine!

Derek
Old 07-10-10, 23:06
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Country of origin:

Quote"....seems supermarkets can sell meat from any county as made in UK if its packaged here...."

Same problem here - that little glass bottle of apple juice was probably shipped from somewhere overseas in a tanker at the bottom of a 50000 ton load of heavy bunker fuel, but because it's bottled here it gets the label " made in CANADA.

And I truly have to shake my head at the local yokels with the bumper stickers that say " Out of a job yet ? keep buying foreign!", yet most pf the components in their " domestic" vehicles are made offshore or down-continent

f

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 08-10-10, 03:50
Derek Heuring

Default Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
Quote"....seems supermarkets can sell meat from any county as made in UK if its packaged here...."

Same problem here - that little glass bottle of apple juice was probably shipped from somewhere overseas in a tanker at the bottom of a 50000 ton load of heavy bunker fuel, but because it's bottled here it gets the label " made in CANADA.

And I truly have to shake my head at the local yokels with the bumper stickers that say " Out of a job yet ? keep buying foreign!", yet most pf the components in their " domestic" vehicles are made offshore or down-continent

f

The quandary one has today, likely thanks to NAFTA, which unfortunately I can't blame on Obama, and to a lesser extent AutoPact, is to determine truly not just where the vehicle was built (read assembled) but also where the components were made (assembled?). Case in point; I'm looking to buy a new truck so I went to the local Dodge dealership last Monday and looked at the new Ram Crew Cab 1500 with the 390hp Hemi engine. The sticker proudly declared 87% North American content so I read further only find that the engine is made in Mexico. Well I remember the commercials on TV where a couple of "good ol' boys" ask the proud driver of a new Dodge truck if, "that thang got a Hemi?!" Perhaps in the interest of accuracy they should be asking, "Oy Esay, su camietta tienes uno Hemi?". Not that I've got anything against Beaners...sorry, Hispanics...after all, GM Target Master engines have been made in Mexico for decades but if that most American of Auto manufacturers, Toyota, can build trucks in Texas then why the heck can't Dodge.

Derek.