MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-06-06, 20:04
Vets Dottir

Default Happy Fathers Day!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL OF YOU MLU DAD'S and YOUR DADS...

Dad's come in all types ... there are those Dads who fathered us, and Dad's who were Dads because they were "there for us" ... there are adoptive Dad's, foster Dads, Dad figures who were role models for us ...

I raise a glasses to two men in particular of my life:

1) My Father/Dad Joe Jonasson R.I.P. 1972 at age 52 He was a Sargeant with the P.P.C.L.I. and served at home in SHILO although he'd wanted to serve overseas, he was rejected for feet problems. He struggled with cancer for many years, and finally it claimed him in 1972. The last time I saw him in person was at the Leland Hotel in Winnipeg where he, Mom and I met the day before Mom, Henry and I, moved to BC ... he stood tall (to me) and visibly upset but trying not to show it (upset that we were leaving) , hair wild and thick and standing up ... running hand through his hair ... then long hugs ... the last image I have of him is his back as walked away ... I talked with him by phone from BC. This man, my father, who I never had the chance to live with day-to-day, but had many visits with as a child, I still miss him and sometimes feel really sad that we didn't have more time together ... I wish I could have sat at an older age and listened to his stories of his life ... but I feel fortunate to have had the times I did with him. His humour was great, as was his affection for me, ... my memories of being with him were all good and a lot of laughter and fun, except for the final visit.

2) My Step-Dad from 1964, Henry Hedberg R.I.P. 1992 at age 86 ... other men have played "Dad" roles for me, but the two main "Dad's" were my Dad Joe, and my one step-Dad in particular (I had 2 steps through the years) , Henry. Henry was there for me, day-to-day for many years and I was his "daughter" to him

Both of these men hold important places in my life, and my heart, and have influenced my life in so many ways it's impossible to name the many ways ... I loved them both.

Karmen.