MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 14-01-09, 22:15

Default Canadians in the N.F.S

I dont recall seeing this subject before in the site but i maybe wrong, however i recently picked up a book from a bargan book shop called UNDER FIRE about Britians fire service at war written by John Leete. It is indeed a supurb read and features a section on the Canadian volunteers aroud 450 that came over to support the NFS, the book contains some excellent photos including these two that show the arrival of some of the volunteers in Trafalgar Square and a super shot of two early patten CMP30cwt being loaded with petrol whilst the firemen keep a close watch. Quite why its in the bargan book shops i do not know as it was only released in 2008
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu1.jpg   mlu2.jpg  
Old 14-01-09, 23:25

Evening Les, there is a Canadian firefighters website (link below)with a large section on the Canadians firefighters who came accross. When you open the site look at the right hand list click on Corp of FF, loads of info and additional pictures. What A great bunch - mind so were the lads I worked with when I was over there !
In the book they mention a film that was made I have it on either VHS or DVD It contains the film they mention. I will speak to you off PM about it.

http://firehouse651.com/

Regards TED
Old 15-01-09, 08:38
former Resident Historian

Default CMPs

I wonder when the photo on the left was taken? It appears as though, judging by the black-painted wheels, that they are rebuilds. We know that by 1944, possibly even 1943, # 11 and # 12 cab CMPs were being demobbed
and presumably refurbished, and then issued to quasi-official agencies such as for food delivery.
Old 15-01-09, 12:42

David beyond doubt a badly posed piccy the foam inductor to the right with the hose coming from it would be beside the fire tender as it should be connected to the pump by very short lengths. Which would be standing by well out of the way of any bang!! I would suggest earlier rather than later I understood the army had stopped using those cans by 44 but its not some thing I know much about.
What I can tell you, well beyond D Day the RAF were using those cans for hi octane aviation spirit and jerrycans for MT fuel on TAF sqns .
TED