MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-03-04, 17:38
former Resident Historian

Default Dodge trucks S/M 2023

Is a photo of a Dodge to S/M 2023. I found this when trawling through the old forum. However I am stil no wiser as to which model!

Dave said:

Quote:
'I have originals of both the workshop manual and the parts list both covers are printed "Chrysler Corp, Export Div, Detroit, Michigan USA."
The Manual is printed in 1940
The parts list is printed in Feb 20th 1941
The Parts List has a statement on the title page "starting serial number, 8,300,001 is the this the chassis number?
The contract number is SM2023 and I have the actual plate saved from the remains of the dash in my Dodge.
Allocation by Central Census of "B" Vehicle W.D. Numbers, produced by R.A.O.C. Chilwell lists, Census Number 4552457 to 24553198 supplied under SM2023 as Lorry 3ton 6x4 Break Down from Chrysler Corp. Of Canada, is this a printing error?
The head lights fitted to WK60's are the same as Canadian Dodge T212 even down to the black out shields which are early CMP as fitted to 11 and 12 cabs I've just bought 2 N.O.S. headlights complete with shields which are Canadian, they are the same as shown in the factory photos taken at Kew.
The handbrake, nudge bar and starter push button are Canadian CMP Ford.
The 2nd edition of the Bart Vanderveen's Historic Military Vehicles Directory quotes that the WK60 was delivered to the British in 1941. I also have 3 factory photos of WK60's taken at Kew, London when they first arrived as chassis cabs, to be fitted with the British Gantry body. The census number is 126 into the batch and from the background in the picture it was taken in late spring or early summer.
My truck shows both the cab and chassis have drillings and stampings for either left or right hand drive.
So British contract placed by the Purchasing committee in 1940, US produced kit of parts assembled in Canada in late 1940 fitted with CMP parts and shipped to the UK?

Dave'
I seem to remember that the engine number was a T-124- number, which would make the truck either a Canadian DC8- 4-tonner or a US Dodge WK- model. A COE DCM- would have a T-128 engine number. Is there any known chassis number please?

Note the manual is from Detroit whereas the Parts List quotes a serial number series that does not fit into the combined US/Canadian list! I am conjecting that these were not diverted orders, i.e. ex-French, but placed through Kew to Detroit and then sub-contracted to Windsor for supply because of $ exchange problems [or lack of US$$].
Old 30-03-04, 22:12

Thumbs up WK60 3 ton Gantry Recovery

David

That was my son David who posted the thread, the Model is WK60, is listed as “special” in the Dodge technical manual and was bought with cash directly by the British purchasing committee operating in the States in 1940. 741 units were ordered under one contract delivered to Kew as chassis cabs to be bodied with standard British Gantry bodies.
Unfortunately we do not have a readable frame number and the cab plate is missing

Pete
Old 05-04-04, 21:15

Default WK60 link

David

look here for more info www.old-dodge-trucks.co.uk/dodge_wk60.htm

Pete
Old 05-04-04, 22:39
former Resident Historian

Default Ta!

Thanks mate! The 'VK-62' buses have serial numbers in the 1942 MODEL WK series, US-sourced, range. Lend-Leased?
Old 27-01-05, 16:28
MLU Administrator

Default Re: WK60 3 ton Gantry Recovery

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
That was my son David who posted the thread, the Model is WK60
Pete,

Do I remember correctly you were looking for 10-stud 20-inch wheels? See the Milweb ad below:
Quote:
4 ex army wheels and tyres
10 stud, flat disc 1100x20 as new, still showing pimples £240.00 set of 4.
01277 821138
S Shawe 27 January '05
I think the WK60's wheels are not flat discs, though.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 25-08-05, 16:49
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: WK60 3 ton Gantry Recovery

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Do I remember correctly you were looking for 10-stud 20-inch wheels?
Pete, I guess not, but: would eight 36x8, 12 ply Good Year tyres with 10-stud rims (ex-Leyland Hippo) be of any use to you? These are available in Holland.

Cheers,
Hanno

source