MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-07-03, 04:20
Greybeard Member

Default Picton (Ontario) Airport

Hi there

Any Ontario-based readers ever been to the Picton airport?

We were down in Prince Edward County over the weekend, and I just happened upon it.

No.32 Bombing and Gunner School was located there during World War Two and it looks like they removed the aircraft, sent the men home and just left the rest!

It looks like all the buildings are still there: hangars, H-huts, dormitories, the guard room you name it.

It'a all plastered with NO Trespassing" and 'Great Investment Opportunity" signs but it just looks, well, abandoned.

Anybody know why it wasn't torn or burned down like all the other BCATP airfields?

Steve

PS I've got some photos coming eventually.
Old 07-07-03, 21:33
Old Sigs Type

Greetings...

I took a Sigs course there as a cadet back in '63. At that time, it was the home of the 1st Canadian Guards. We stayed in the building at the bottom of the camp, at the edge of the woods, about 800 m from the H huts. One of the huts was used as a canteen and barbershop.

I went back in '73 and '74 with a number of Tor Sigs Regt members, where I was in charge of comms for the Mountainview Airshow. I also doubled as a "Follow Me" vehicle for the aircraft without radios. The show was similar to the current Hamilton Antique Airshows. I ended up getting the "Follow Me" sign presented to me by the CO of 411 Sqn (Downsview) as a token of appreciation for my efforts.

I returned again in '93 for a Div Ex as a member of 1 Cdn Div HQ & Sigs Regt. We were housed in one of the hangars. Another hangar was used to store some mothballed CF-18s.

At that time, the bldg at the edge of the woods was an old-age home. Some of the H huts were used for some sort of civilian manufacturing and offices.

Hope the above info helps.

Frank...
Old 08-07-03, 00:56
M38A1 CDN3

Default Picton, etc

For those who may not know, the respondant is retiree MCpl Frank Misztal. web site owner of the peacekeeper (qv).

Frank is ol' time Signals, he and I served (survived is probably a better term) for years in 2 Sigs, 8 Sigs, Tor Sigs and 709 Comm Regt.

We both were members of 3 Bn CanPara...more war stories...

Hey, Sunray, recognize this dude?...Bruce...?

Probably more to follow, wait, out.
Old 08-07-03, 02:29

Default H- Huts and other buildings.

Did any of you "old timers" ever see a Nissen hut on a Canadian military base? I have been scouring the Prairie country side for one I can drag home, but no luck! I saw quite a few in merry old England a few years back, but thats over there. I believe the Nissen hut had a unique shape, that being the metal roof clad ,rafter/truss actually was slightly more than a 180 degree half circle. The rafter curved in at the base of the hut. Any thoughts? Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 08-07-03, 03:29
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Nissan Huts...

Rob..
There were a couple in Alsask,Sask. radar station when I was there in the sixtys..Try some of the Manitoba radar sites...Beasejour..Gypsumville...maybe even Portage la Prairie would have a couple ..
The Air Force bases had them whereever I was stationed..across Canada..Maybe Moose Jaw or Dana, Sask(50miles ENE of Saskatoon..)
The CE (Construction engineering) section used them for storage and all sorts of uses..
Try these people..They may have a Canadian lead for you..
http://www.ralhomes.com.au/keycomp.html

Some good shots here..

http://www.cornwallcottagegardens.co...ndgrounds.html
Old 08-07-03, 03:35
Greybeard Member

Default Nissen Huts...

Hi there

There is one at the Picton site, but it may be a post-war addition. The rest of the structures are wooden framed, covered in cedar shakes, with asphalt roofs.

Here's question? Are Nissen Huts and Quonset Huts the same?

Steve
Old 08-07-03, 04:27
Old Sigs Type

The Quonset hut is basically a modified copy of a Nissen hut.

For more details, check the following link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq75-2.htm

Frank...
Old 08-07-03, 05:23
GM Fox I

Frank, Jon?? (709 retro or what?)
Picton is truly a marvel. Untouched through neglect rather than preservation. It is complete down to the original hand painted stop signs. It is currently privately owned as the 'Loch Slogh' indusrial park and has a few tennants who do storage or bodywork. Up until the mid 1990's there were DC-3's and DC-7's on the runway. Frank, were the "CF-18"'s there or Montainview, some 10 mile north west? There were a number of CF-101 Voodoo's stored in Mountainview as well as an Argus. Rumour has it that the Argus landed there instead of Trenton against the advice of the air traffic controller. The runway was too short for it to take off again. Mountainview also has the rumour that BCATP wrecks were stripped for parts then pushed across the highway for local farmers to salvage. The remains were then pushed down a ravine. The ravine exists full of wreckage but of 1950's era cars not yellow Ansons. Still exploring, move off to Hyuck's Bay where the BCATP Bombing & Gunnery school's target was. The bed is littered with white training bombs.
Old 08-07-03, 05:55
Old Sigs Type

Bruce, old Sigs never die. They keep on communicating and coming back to haunt you.

BTW, you're correct about the CF-101s being at Camp Picton (I had a senior moment in my original reply). The camp and Mountainview airport are one and the same.
Old 24-07-03, 16:12
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Wings for Victory

Anyone ever read WINGS FOR VICTORY, by Spencer Dunmore? Excellent book on the whole BCATP thing from concept to shut-down, very easy reading. I finally got around to reading my dad's old copy, just finished it this morning. Highly recommended!

There are 61 copies available on ABE right now...

PS: It compliments beautifully Peden's A THOUSAND SHALL FALL and Hewer's IN FOR A PENNY IN FOR A POUND.... as a matter of fact bok are quoted by Dunmore. Have just reread both of THEM, too.
Old 09-08-03, 13:30

Default Re: H- Huts and other buildings.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Fast
Did any of you "old timers" ever see a Nissen hut on a Canadian military base? I have been scouring the Prairie country side for one I can drag home, but no luck! I saw quite a few in merry old England a few years back, but thats over there. I believe the Nissen hut had a unique shape, that being the metal roof clad ,rafter/truss actually was slightly more than a 180 degree half circle. The rafter curved in at the base of the hut. Any thoughts? Cheers Rob
Rob
I was talking to a dealer for Coverall building systems yesterday and these buildings will do nicely..I'm impressed..Call for pricing..
http://www.coverall.net/
Old 08-12-03, 11:30

I was there a few years ago when they filmed a movie called "Haven" using the airport. I signed on as an extra for some extra money.
Old 17-10-06, 06:17

Hi guys
I saw the posting about the deserted airport. Some of you might be interested in a web page about the Pine Tree Line which consists of info about radar bases across canada both when they were new and the present. I found the page when accessing info about Sioux lookout, On. were I used to live. Pauline
P.S. am I using the right term calling it a web page?
Old 17-10-06, 13:30

Default Pine Tree Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauline St Denis
Hi guys
I saw the posting about the deserted airport. Some of you might be interested in a web page about the Pine Tree Line which consists of info about radar bases across canada both when they were new and the present. I found the page when accessing info about Sioux lookout, On. were I used to live. Pauline
P.S. am I using the right term calling it a web page?
Pauline...
Stop teasing me and please provide the link to the site to which you are refering....
As an RM tech I served on many of them..From '63 to '77....
Is this the site you are refering too...??

http://www.pinetreeline.org/
Old 17-10-06, 17:05

Default Picton

Went to Picton with a friend in August. The entire base is privately owned. We drove right in to our old barrack, locked up, everything is, and were looking at it when the owner's security guard drove up and politely asked us to leave as everything is private property. UNLESS OF COURSE....We wished to rent a building.
Mountainview is a waste of time. Commissionaires deny all entrance. Many aircraft on flight line, all for sale. If you wish to see them write the base commander for admission privleges.
This apparently works occassionaly said the guard.
However...If you go 1/2 mile south and turn right 1/2 mile the entire secondary base, concrete mess halls, concrete barracks, are abandoned and visible from the roadside. And accessible .
Walk right in.
Old 17-10-06, 19:35

Hi Alex,
You have the right address in your letter. There is a page where they list all the bases and you go to the one you are interested in. Lots of pictures! Which ones were you stationed on? Pauline
Old 19-10-06, 04:04
Derek Heuring

Default Re: H- Huts and other buildings.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Fast
Did any of you "old timers" ever see a Nissen hut on a Canadian military base? hut. Cheers Rob

In 1996 (I'm not THAT old) our unit was taking the Air Force Indoctrination Course at the Alphabet school in C.F.B. Borden. Part of the course required a road trip to C.F.B. Trenton to see the museum and the Halifax restoration. We were put up in some very old Nissen-style huts. I'm not sure of the vintage of the huts were but they could have been WW II vintage. Any one been to Trenton lately and know if they're still there?

CHIMO!