Notices

Old 10-10-05, 18:05

Default VE-Day 60th

An impressive feeling after seeing the special commemorative video tape
of the VE-Day 60th. The only black note on the tape was the Dutch
"Keep Them Rolling" military vehicle club, to many U.S. trucks in the
Apeldoorn parade. For me and Steven plus the other CMP / Canadian
truck owners, a shame !!!

Mvg. Dirk ( behind Barry Churcher's computer)
Old 18-02-07, 17:24
Marco Hogenkamp

Barry/Dirk,

I disagree with you about calling the participating of US trucks in the Apeldoorn parade being a "black note" and "a shame".

Allthough everyone in our club would like to have Canadian vehicles, not evereyone has them.
Without the US vehicles, it would not have been possible to offer a seat to all the veterans and let them participate in the parade rather than having them stand at the sideline.

The liberation of Holland is a national event and the US troops certainly also played their part in the liberation of souhthern Holland.

Best regards,

Marco
Old 18-02-07, 19:30
Marco Hogenkamp

Stuart,

Your comment pretty well describes what we experienced that day.
It is one of those days you'll probably never forget and I surely hope there will be another event like this.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
174-copy.jpg  
Old 19-02-07, 00:49

Hi Marco
I am not as proficient a writer as most on this forum but let me try to explain what I feel Dirk meant. Apeldoorn was primarily a Canadian operation during the war and this parade was originally an event for Canadian verterns, although all were welcome. When Brian and I participated in this parade in previous years the vehicle count was limited to 100. It was always a mix of vehicles from any of the Allies just to keep the selection interesting to the crowd. Who wants to watch a hundred Jeeps or CCKWs? As more and more verterans pass on it gets more difficult to fill the vehicles. For the 60th parade there were too many vehicles and not enough veterans. I don't know what the limit was but it was sure more than 100. The bulk of the veternas were placed in the vehicles nearest the beginning, which causes people to loose interest in vehicles with no vets. They are there, after all, to see the veterans. Most of the Candian vehicles had no vets while the CCKWs and the Dodges were overcrowded. We had arranged earlier to have Jiggs ride with Dirk in the Lynx because he drove one on the war. Herb Danter was to ride with Stefan in the Fox and a customer of mine from the Irish Regiment was to ride with Brian and I in the C15TA. We were unable to do this and drove in the parade with no vets at all. This was a disappointment for all of us. This happened to most with Canadian vehicles. You didn't get to see the bulk of the Candian vehicles as they ended the video before they appeared. One plus was that we got a Dutch film crew riding in the back of the C15TA for some distance and I am sure they got some excellent footage, especially of Stefan following us in the Fox. The second plus was that even without veternas in the vehicle the good people along the route made sure that Brian and I didn't go thirsty. We previously particiapted in a parade in Spakenburg that even had a Leopard tank and a French SP gun. It was a Liberation parade and any vehicles were welcome, as it should be. In that parade I had no veterans in the C15TA but was told by one of the vets' wives that they were not supposed to ride in the vehicles. I filled the truck with as many wives as I could and what a hit that was. Maybe something like that could have been done in Apeldoorn. I know Dirk meant no disrespect to anyone who collects non Canadian vehicles and no one knows more than he the amount of time and Euros involved in a restoration. It was also pointed out to me today that "shame" translates differently in different languages and may not be fully understood by everyone. What is the real shame is that more people couldn't attend with a family member as Stuart did. Now that would be a real thrill.

Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 20-02-07, 13:13
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally posted by marco
Barry/Dirk,

I disagree with you about calling the participating of US trucks
in the Apeldoorn parade being a "black note" and "a shame".
Allthough everyone in our club would like to have Canadian vehicles,
not evereyone has them. Without the US vehicles, it would not have
been possible to offer a seat to all the veterans..........................
Marco,

Thanks for your comment, not everybody like this "subject" about the parades in Holland.
I saw the first veterans hours and hours later in the "America" hall, well you know our story
from my Canadian friend Barry Churcher. I forgot al these missers after the nice conversations
with the veterans and special with Herb Danter and Jiggs Borland. By the way, two weeks ago
was a "big shot" from KTR in my shop, he asked me something about the Canadian vehicles in
Europa. He always thought that all the Canadian trucks were made in the US.
He had never heard from Chevrolet Oshawa and Ford Windsor Ontario.

I have much work to do in KTR, I guess !!!

Mvg. Dirk

Barry, no parades this year................................

Old 20-02-07, 16:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Leegwater
I have much work to do in KTR, I guess !!!
Dirk, there is still a lot of zendelingenwerk to be done in the Netherlands. Even the basic facts about the liberation of the Netherlands are not well known. I tell many people: read a book! (or talk to Dirk )

Hanno