MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 29-03-22, 21:38
Dan Dolan

Default Assembly of the Variometer

Hey guys - I got this variometer in pieces parts as you can see in the photos of the box. Can anyone direct me to a page or document or send me instructions on the order OF PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER......pretty sure all the pieces are there - I just don't know the order.....I am installing this in a staghound I am finishing p and will be (is) sold. Need help!
thanks
daninnm
505-269-2056

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...F1?usp=sharing
Old 29-03-22, 23:21

Dan.

If you can get hold of a copy of the Identification List and Echelon Repair Schedule for the Wireless Set Cdn No. 19 Mk III (TELECOMMUNICATIONS FZ 256/3) publication, the Variometer is covered via exploded diagrams and Parts Information from pages 24 - 27.

David
Old 30-03-22, 06:02
Dan Dolan

I will search the web.....anyone here have one they can copy? will pay for post and copies!!???
Old 30-03-22, 08:54
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

this may help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WS19_Cdn_Mk3_Ancilliary_Equipment.pdf (91.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 31-03-22, 07:09
Dan Dolan

Default The contnets onfhte "CAN" is OK and aassembled..need the top blow up

where the aerial attaches and where the copper disks and the round component are. I requested the 263/5 manual from the No 19 Wireless Site but have not heard back - tried to download form their database but for :404: notice (could not find the file).
Old 31-03-22, 10:59
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnm View Post
Hey guys - I got this variometer in pieces parts as you can see in the photos of the box. Can anyone direct me to a page or document or send me instructions on the order OF PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER......pretty sure all the pieces are there - I just don't know the order.....I am installing this in a staghound I am finishing p and will be (is) sold. Need help!
thanks
daninnm
505-269-2056

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...F1?usp=sharing
Google is demanding I sign in to look at that, so no...

The instructions for fitting (and aligning) the front cover (with window and knob) are on a label that is attached to the variometer, likewise the aerial feeder assembly. You can get a copy of that from the WS19 website:

https://royalsignals.org.uk/photos/variometer-tags.htm

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 06-04-22, 19:22
Dan Dolan

Default still need blow up of TOP of VARIOMETER HELP!!!

The top of my Variometer looks different (pyramid shaped top with clip that you pinch....disassembled down to the top of the coil boc (round).....I need a few pages of
Identification List and Echelon Repair Schedule for the Wireless Set Cdn No. 19 Mk III (TELECOMMUNICATIONS FZ 256/3)
can anyone copy p 24-27 per the reply above and scan and send or copy and mail....I'll pay for copying and postage for sure.....thanks!!!!
last item I need to finish the T17E1 for shipment.
Old 06-04-22, 22:09
Junior Password Gnome

Hi Dan,

I can't visualise what you're describing - any chance of a photograph?

The variometer is barrel shaped, with an almost full diameter knob on the front, a small scale window on the front/edge of the unit, and an aerial feeder on the rear (which is supplied separately and the space covered by a shallow metal dish when it is shipped).

Co-ax feed is on one side (in the 10 o'clock position about an inch from the front), and there are three 1/4" BSF tapped holes along the side (at 3 o'clock) for one of the mounting methods.

There are about a dozen different aerial feeders used to connect the output to the aerial base - it depends on the application.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 07-04-22, 01:13
Junior Password Gnome

Finally... found a photograph looking down on the rear of a T17E1.

If you have a turret with 37mm gun, the WS19 is presumably installed in the turret bustle, there's a Aerial Base No.9 (on mounting No.1) on the turret roof to the left of the set and a Base No.8 (or 10) on the roof to the right of the set.

The variometer is mounted vertically, suspended from the turret roof by what I suspect is Aerial Feeder No.4 - it looks like a thin roof - on top of which is Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1 and the base No.8 (or 10) is fitted to that.

Depending on the diameter of the hole in the roof you may need a centering washer and a few other bits to make it fit properly. (The Americans drilled bigger holes for their aerial bases than the British used.)

Basically it's very similar to the Sherman mounting, but the variometer was shipped without the feeder (part of the installation kit specific to the vehicle) and that may be what's confusing everything.

Does that help at all?

Chris.
Old 09-04-22, 08:29
Dan Dolan

thanks I'll try and scope it out with the parts tomorrow.....I think I see my poblem....the pyramid goes on the outside of the stag turret.....the copper discs on the inside.
Old 28-06-22, 01:39
Dan Dolan

Default tags and diagrams

My wiring guy is showing up on Weds to wire the cable that plugs into the comm box just below and on the turret ledge below the No.19 set. The M4 diagram for the US tank should work for us....
I will attach some of the photos of the radio and all the comm boxes here in a few minutes....
the No. 19 set installation and the two wiring connectors for the solenoids for the 37mm and .30 cal coax MG were another hold up yesterday. Made up the two cable but cannot determine final length of each until the turret is on and we know the length to mount from the .30 cal and the 37mm....the 37mm solenoid is installed so that one is easy but need to see hte orientation of the solenoid to the cable coming up from the turret basket.