MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-05-08, 01:01
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default How is you all?

Hello MLU-ers friends .....

I've been wondering how everyone is doing since I haven't been so active in here for some time and am out of touch with everyone and everything ... so thought I'd post and ask

I've been absorbed in my own little world happenings and non-happenings and am so FARRRRRRR behind in my research and projects (getting things written up re my Uncle and others) that I wonder if I will EVER get them done. Having a hard enough time taking care of myself and my home and am VERY glad no one can see the condition of my place

I'm also WAY behind in communications and keeping in touch with people personally and I apologize if any of you have been expecting to hear from me since long ago and you aren't hearing from me. I haven't been able to spend much time, at a time, at the computer because of bouts of rough stuff with the health, and thats mostly why.

BUT ... none of you are forgotten or out of my mind (I'm the only one out of my mind )

Thinkin' of ya's ...

Ma Yappy Karmen
Old 10-05-08, 05:20
Vets Dottir 2nd

A great change in my life ... the trees have sprouted their leaves and I haven't seen snow for a while, so I think winter is over I'd post some pics but my camera still not working until I can figure out why not and get it happening again. Haven't spotted any military old timer vehicles around to take pics of for you all anyways

Happy Spring to those of you in the parts of the world doing Spring right now
Old 10-05-08, 07:22
Bluebell

Default Karmen

I thought you was just hybernating. Welcome back!
Cheers, Lynn.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 10-05-08, 07:51

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
so I think winter is over
Not for me it's not

Hi Ma I wondered where you were and am glad to know you are ok.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 10-05-08, 08:47
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Lynn, thanks for a welcome back. I guess it's been a form of hybernation and it's unlikely over yet. I do check in MLU several times a day but can't sit much/long at a time and my posting/corresponding on a budget. I've spent a lot of of my typing time in another forum when I can sit (different kinds of conversations than in here) but I pay for the sitting and typing these days. This will pass eventually and maybe I'll be more active in here again soon ...........
Old 10-05-08, 08:49
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Not for me it's not

Hi Ma I wondered where you were and am glad to know you are ok.
Seasonal opposites hey? Don't begrudge us our Spring as its been slow to come this year

I'm still ok enough to still be around
Old 10-05-08, 09:18
Vets Dottir 2nd

PS: Cliff, the current temp is +2 feels like -1 with chill factor. We've had some days hitting close to, or even at +20 I think, but we aren't into the "trust above zero" part yet. I have seen signs of spring with the leaves, grass, flowers etc, so it's trying.
Old 10-05-08, 11:29

Quote:
PS: Cliff, the current temp is +2 feels like -1 with chill factor
Been down to +4C here and I'm thinking of shifting north for the winter. For some reason the cold is hitting me harder this year.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 10-05-08, 12:13
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Been down to +4C here and I'm thinking of shifting north for the winter. For some reason the cold is hitting me harder this year.
I'm sorry to hear that and if a shift north will bring any level of surcease (spelling?) at all, then don't hesitate if you're able to go north!!! Hit the rode, man ... don't wait til Spring, do it now, like that commercial says

My muscles can't handle cool/cold and that plays hell with even spine from neck to tailbone and all joints. Fun stuff.

Get out of Dodge and go North young man!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-08, 13:42
Rick Cove

G'day Ma!
Wondered where you'd got too.
Thought it strange that you weren't on-line, although it's only 10 days since you wished me Happy Birthday. My boys gave me a great party with about 50 guests. We all had a great time and the weather held out. Jill put on a terrific spread and no-one went home hungry. I scored a few military vehicle DVD's, military books and a few parts and tools as well, so all in all a good time was had by everyone.
Kept you a bit of cake, (Black Forest Cake). I froze it but can't work out how to send it to you.
I guess I'll just have to eat it myself. (BooHoo - not)
Glad your back at the desk again, keep smiling
Regards Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
P5030070a.jpg  
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 10-05-08, 14:53
Derek Heuring

Default Thanks for asking

Quote:
Hello MLU-ers friends .....
Thinkin' of ya's ...

Ma Yappy Karmen

Hi Ma, thanks for asking. I haven't been posting as much recently either. Our schedule to complete the Ethanol storage facility in Fort Worth has been shortened considerably. The original completion date Oct. 30th, has now been moved to Labour Day necessitating a change in our work schedule from 4 ten hour days to 6 ten-and-a-half hour days a week. By the time I get home, have a beer and watch the hockey game, it's time for bed! By the way, I am temporarily a Dallas Stars fan until my beloved Canucks are back playing again.

Derek.
Old 10-05-08, 16:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
*Splutter/Chortle* Queensland is pretty rough, eh? We had snow here a couple of weeks ago, first time the Ol' Timers EVER recall it snowing in April. Anyhow, have 3 tons of wood in for winter, so all prepared to bunker down for winter.
Old 10-05-08, 21:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
G'day Ma!
Kept you a bit of cake, (Black Forest Cake). I froze it but can't work out how to send it to you.
I guess I'll just have to eat it myself. (BooHoo - not)
Glad your back at the desk again, keep smiling
Regards Rick.
Sounds like you had a very enjoyable birthday indeed. Awesome

Birthday Cake for me that you can't send me? Just imagine you are me when you eat it and send the taste to me psychically and I'll forgive you for eating me BFC cake
Old 10-05-08, 21:45
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Hi Ma, thanks for asking. I haven't been posting as much recently either. Our schedule to complete the Ethanol storage facility in Fort Worth has been shortened considerably. The original completion date Oct. 30th, has now been moved to Labour Day necessitating a change in our work schedule from 4 ten hour days to 6 ten-and-a-half hour days a week. By the time I get home, have a beer and watch the hockey game, it's time for bed! By the way, I am temporarily a Dallas Stars fan until my beloved Canucks are back playing again.

Derek.

Great to hear from you Derek, as we so rarely do in here these days, and now everyone knows why not ... you're a busy one for some time to come then ... just drop in now and again and say Hi so we all know you're still kicking and making mischief
Old 10-05-08, 21:47
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
*Splutter/Chortle* Queensland is pretty rough, eh? We had snow here a couple of weeks ago, first time the Ol' Timers EVER recall it snowing in April. Anyhow, have 3 tons of wood in for winter, so all prepared to bunker down for winter.
Hello to you and Lady of the Manor and household ...
Old 11-05-08, 03:27
Pops

Default at Yass

Karmen we are all fine too, just waiting for rain to come and bring the grass on for the stock so we don't have to feed so much through winter. Have about 10 ton of wood in so far but the way Kathy burns it we will need more latter. Time is getting closer for when Em leaves Yass to go to Mt Forest to a wedding.
you hang in there old girl
Max
Old 11-05-08, 09:11
Richard Notton

Default Still here. . . . . . .

Well Karmy,

England is definitely green and blossoming, continuous sun last week, 26C yesterday, set for more of that today and all next week if the weather liars are to be believed.

It would seem we have the reliable and Waffenamt Wa.Pruf.6 approved (the stamp is on the other side I'm told) Bosch sun momentarily to replace the intermittent Lucas version normally issued here.

Not a lot else going on though as I continue to massage our position into something permitting flight from the country hopefully early next year now.

Just keeping an eye on Mr Gordon Unelected-Brown lurching from one arrogant crisis to another and further buggering the country; oil rising through $126 doing wonders for some of my pension investments but a sharp intake of breath filling the car at £1.10/litre; and just waiting for the hugely over-hyped Euro balanced almost totally on our efficient German chums to take a huge tumble since the first visible cracks are starting to appear.

Apart from that, I just work, drink tea and have the "occasional" self-made rollie. No change there then.

Today we need to heave some 20 years of collected dross out of the garage so a certain skilled joiner and Morris-Commercial body-builder can have the rotten timber away as part of the extensive tarting-up procedure prior to selling the house.

I was hoping Veare would lend a hand but it seems no time is available in the 22hr sleep requirement either under a very shady bit of garden greenery or under the bedroom stool once we have vacated the chamber and peace reigns.

Must fly, just noticed the tea mug is empty; hmmmmm 22C already and only just after 8am. . . . . . .

R.
Old 11-05-08, 11:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hedges View Post
Have about 10 ton of wood in so far but the way Kathy burns it we will need more later.
Max
You tell Kathy to go easy on the firewood. It don't grow on trees, ya know!
Old 11-05-08, 14:55
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Notton View Post
Well Karmy,

England is definitely green and blossoming, continuous sun last week, 26C yesterday, set for more of that today and all next week if the weather liars are to be believed.

R.
26 degrees in Ol' Blighty?!? Are you sure that's not Fahrenheit?
You'll be catching up to Texas' 32.2222222C. (that's what the temperature converter tells me) soon.
As for the price of petrol, we're now paying $3.55 for the diminutive US gallon (I thought I saw Dick bin Turpin behind the cash register the other day.) with warnings of $4.00/gal prices to come this summer. The display at the pump should be changed from "Please pay" to "Stand and deliver!"
Believe it or not, we were sitting around the break table the other day and the subject of Metrification came up, after the obligatory talk of women, football, hockey (my choice), and oil prices were dispensed with, of course. To my surprise, the consensus was that it is high time for America to convert. To my knowledge, the U.S. is the last Imperial hold-out, other than the Sport of Kings. Somewhat ironic, no?

Derek.
Old 11-05-08, 15:58
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hedges View Post
Karmen we are all fine too, just waiting for rain to come and bring the grass on for the stock so we don't have to feed so much through winter. Have about 10 ton of wood in so far but the way Kathy burns it we will need more latter. Time is getting closer for when Em leaves Yass to go to Mt Forest to a wedding.
you hang in there old girl
Max
Speaking of rain, it's +5 celcius and raining some here at the moment. Had the oven on just to take a damp chill out of here Predicted to get to about +13 ... week forecast predicting +21 to +26 (down from yesterdays 28 forecast) starting Thursday so am looking forward to that and hoping weather predicters are not being liars, as Master R. calls 'em (as they usually are) ... hoping to be better shape and my knees/legs can bend by then and don't weigh a ton so I can manage some walking out in it

Good to hear you're all fine and I hope Em, that you totally enjoy the wedding

I'm hanging in
Old 11-05-08, 20:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Notton View Post
Well Karmy,

It would seem we have the reliable and Waffenamt Wa.Pruf.6 approved (the stamp is on the other side I'm told) Bosch sun momentarily to replace the intermittent Lucas version normally issued here.

Not a lot else going on though as I continue to massage our position into something permitting flight from the country hopefully early next year now.

Just keeping an eye on Mr Gordon Unelected-Brown lurching from one arrogant crisis to another and further buggering the country; oil rising through $126 doing wonders for some of my pension investments but a sharp intake of breath filling the car at £1.10/litre; and just waiting for the hugely over-hyped Euro balanced almost totally on our efficient German chums to take a huge tumble since the first visible cracks are starting to appear.

Apart from that, I just work, drink tea and have the "occasional" self-made rollie. No change there then.

Today we need to heave some 20 years of collected dross out of the garage so a certain skilled joiner and Morris-Commercial body-builder can have the rotten timber away as part of the extensive tarting-up procedure prior to selling the house.

I was hoping Veare would lend a hand but it seems no time is available in the 22hr sleep requirement either under a very shady bit of garden greenery or under the bedroom stool once we have vacated the chamber and peace reigns.

Must fly, just noticed the tea mug is empty; hmmmmm 22C already and only just after 8am. . . . . . .

R.
Hello Master R. Michelle and Veare ...

Very nice to get some updates on you folks. Sorry I haven't been better with the emailing for a while, but know it's never "out of sight out of mind" with me

Just watched a BIG FAT robin in the tree out my window a while ago. Can't believe how big it was Wonder what Veare would have done to see it?

Also just noticed out my bathroom window that neighbors tree has white blossoms on it ... amazing! What a happy sight

Karmy
Old 11-05-08, 20:57
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
26 degrees in Ol' Blighty?!? Are you sure that's not Fahrenheit?
You'll be catching up to Texas' 32.2222222C. (that's what the temperature converter tells me) soon. .
We've not been in ºF for decades now Derek and I have to say it is easier when water goes solid at 0 and gasseous at 100.

Quote:
As for the price of petrol, we're now paying $3.55 for the diminutive US gallon (I thought I saw Dick bin Turpin behind the cash register the other day.) with warnings of $4.00/gal prices to come this summer. The display at the pump should be changed from "Please pay" to "Stand and deliver!"
Pffft, you're lucky. Four bucks a short US gallon, bargain; we're paying £4.95 which is $9.67 to you, although to be fair I should downsize that by 20% for the mean measures you call a gallon, so we'll call it $8.06; that'll be about twice then.

The bloke behind our gas pump cash registers is called Gordon Unelected-Brown by the way who trousers some 86% of the price.

Quote:
Believe it or not, we were sitting around the break table the other day and the subject of Metrification came up, after the obligatory talk of women, football, hockey (my choice), and oil prices were dispensed with, of course. To my surprise, the consensus was that it is high time for America to convert. To my knowledge, the U.S. is the last Imperial hold-out, other than the Sport of Kings. Somewhat ironic, no?
Well now here's a thing; some 30 or more years ago when I spent a few weeks at Hughes Aircraft at Canoga Park LA, we were working on the appraisal to manufacture AMRAAM over here, HA were still in prototype development and it was already built to metric standards. A few years later I started on the UK microwave seeker for Hellfire to replace the IR designated version being made at Rockwell in Atlanta, now in service here and called Brimstone (cute huh?), we had no issues with mechanical interfaces as that was also metric.

I've a sneaky feeling all your mil and civil aircraft are metric and everything from an Abrams downwards is metric too. I don't think Boing (intentional) will make a Dreamliner to imperial standards and the A320's you have with the A380's coming along will definitely be metric.

I can tell you too all the John Deere, Case International and other US built farm tractors here are entirely metric too and have been for tens of years; I can't see them making two versions to different standards. We also have several US car makes here too of the smaller sizes and they're metric, so I think it goes farther than you might think already.

Anyway, look how easy it will become for Norm Abraham, instead of 1' 7" and 9/16" "heavy", he can just have 497mm.

Easy peasy.

R.
Old 11-05-08, 23:07
Richard Notton

Quote:
Hello Master R. Michelle and Veare ...

Very nice to get some updates on you folks. Sorry I haven't been better with the emailing for a while, but know it's never "out of sight out of mind" with me
I know that.

Just take it as it comes and at your own pace, no probs here.
Quote:
Just watched a BIG FAT robin in the tree out my window a while ago. Can't believe how big it was Wonder what Veare would have done to see it?
Well, large and lazy she might be and in sunshine inappropriate panzer crew uniform too but low flying birds are risking it. She can still make 4ft vertically from a standing start in some 5µSec and grab them using just one handful of personal small scimitars.

We're into May Beetle time about now so she'll be out there pinging up and down like ping-pong ball.

Quote:
Also just noticed out my bathroom window that neighbors tree has white blossoms on it ... amazing! What a happy sight
Flowering Cherries, we've been awash with them and its just about to start blowing about like snow, as it does. The one in my garden is in full bloom but will be dropping soon.

Most everything is green and in leaf except the oaks, but they are always the last.

Definitely spring here but with two weeks of unbroken sun we're bound to pay for it later when the Clerk of the Weather puts in a self-correcting error.

Doubtless we invented the phrase "Make hay while the sun shines."

BBC says sunny all next week, Met Office says throwing down on Thursday; take your pick. . . . . . . .

R.
Old 12-05-08, 05:15
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thanks Richard

Veare would be chirping at my window and the robin ... it's been back a few times. Actually saw it for the first time a couple of days ago, same one, I'm sure. It goes back to the same spot and spends a lot of time. Not sure whether its building a nest or gathering materials to build a nest. I kind of hope its moving in so I can watch the progress

Yes, I think they're cherry blossoms, if they are popping, then the magnolia trees MUST be too! Will visit one I know next time I'm able to get out, just to check. Love those magnolias! I do know crocuses and little flowers (don't know their names) and dandelions are out. This week shows to be progressively warmer throughout and with the rain, am sure things will really get growing

But, as you say, "make hay while the sun shines"

Am getting very antsy to take out the window and put in the screen to my outer entrance
door and have my inner one and the widows open all day again and evening again. Won't be long now at all. Hurrah.

Karmy
Old 12-05-08, 05:24

Default how is u all

Vets

good to hear you are still vertical. Have a good spring, it is just starting to get cooler here now. Dont have to plead for more water donations. Actually have started to light fires at night.

Greetings from Paradise

Rookie
Old 12-05-08, 05:54
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Vets

good to hear you are still vertical. Have a good spring, it is just starting to get cooler here now. Dont have to plead for more water donations. Actually have started to light fires at night.

Greetings from Paradise

Rookie

Thanks Rookie ... nothing more awesome than cozy fires to get ya through the cold spells.

I still find it mindboggling to know that while we are starting Spring some folks the other side of the world are doing the opposites seasons. I thought the world was flat, but I guess not

Vets
Old 12-05-08, 06:20

You Mean Its Not Flat, Damn I See Ships Falling Off The Edge As They Head Out From Our Beach

Rookie
Old 12-05-08, 08:21
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
You Mean Its Not Flat, Damn I See Ships Falling Off The Edge As They Head Out From Our Beach

Rookie
Yes. Shocking disillusionment, isn't it? To think they're just going down the blindside of the globe
Old 13-05-08, 23:25
Vets Dottir 2nd

Geez, just read this news bit in Canoe News about this helicopter crash (fatalities) that happened here today in one of the residential areas. I don't know where or when it happened or any details other than this story so far.

Quote:
CRANBROOK, B.C. — A helicopter has crashed in a residential neighbourhood in Cranbrook, B.C.

Residents say the helicopter was flying above the area when it suddenly crashed and burst into flames.

Witnesses say there were several people in the immediate area when the chopper went down.

Police and emergency officials are on the scene but police would not comment.

A fire department official says firefighters are on the scene and that there are fatalities, but he did not have any further details.
Old 13-05-08, 23:31
Vets Dottir 2nd

Wow ... more from a BC news source ... this happened about 1:00 pm here and VERY close to where I live (on 14th) so explains all the sirens I heard about then 4 people were killed ... one a pedestrian.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...cranbrook.html
Quote:
killed in helicopter crash in southeastern B.C.
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 | 5:21 PM ET Comments9Recommend43CBC News
A helicopter crashed in the middle of a residential neighbourhood in Cranbrook, B.C., on Tuesday, killing four people, witnesses say. (CBC)The RCMP have confirmed that four people died when a helicopter crashed into the middle of a street in a busy residential neighbourhood in Cranbrook, in the southeastern Interior of B.C., on Tuesday afternoon.

Witnesses said the chopper was flying low before the crash, apparently checking BC Hydro power lines, when it suddenly came down.

Barry Coulter, editor of the Cranbrook Daily Townsman, said three people in the helicopter, including two BC Hydro employees, and a pedestrian died in the crash.

The helicopter exploded into a fireball and attempts by witnesses to rescue the victims were unsuccessful, said Coulter.

The aircraft came down just after 1 p.m. MT near the corner of 14th Street and 10th Street, not far from downtown. At least one vehicle was damaged in the crash.

The weather at the time was calm and clear and there was no wind, Coulter said.