MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 28-11-06, 03:03
Vets Dottir

Default Regina Rifles CBC video

Hello,

I was just visiting the CBC Archives pages and watched this video about the Regina Rifles and D-Day, (1994). Have your Kleenex ready because it will have you crying watching the bits of old live film footage

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-71-1317...ar/d-day/clip9

There are other videos to watch as well. Scroll down the page for some links, or just explore the site for appropriate links.

Karmen.
Old 28-11-06, 03:28
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thanks, K. It kinda reinforces a bit of what I said tonight, eh? Guess the CBC is worth something in a pinch...
Old 28-11-06, 03:41
Vets Dottir

Yeah, Geoff, it does reinforce

What had me crying was the bits of film of the landings and seeing the men falling, or wounded. And the one man who spoke about training with, sleeping next to, and sharing days/nights with these men then to lose so many. God. Those deep bonds and the losses must hurt, even after all this time.

I know this clip is of the Regina's, but I couldn't help thinking of Uncle Philip (Genaille) being wounded during the landing then dieing of his wounds the same day, and of course Uncle Eddie's group, some were Regina Riflemen weren't they? (for those new here and who don't know it, Philip and Ed were my Uncles and they both served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. Uncle Philip died June 6, 1944 and Uncle Ed on June 8th was executed along with a group of Canadian POWS. About 35 executed. About 5 escaped and survived the war)

I figure that no matter who puts together these things, especially when they have old live footage and real people talking about their experiences, even bad reporting can't mess with those realities getting through to us. Yes? No? Pick the gems out of the errors?

I listened to a couple of old broadcasts too. Enough for now ... except to say, this stuff is priceless.

Karmen
Old 28-11-06, 05:35
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

My first commanding officer was a RFN in the Reginas on D-Day. Bless his soul, there was something in him you couldn't ever reach.