MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 12-09-13, 10:41
Rob

Default 1944 Canadian Quad Polsten

On a quest to reclaim my workshop back from a storage area I have reluctantly decided to sell my Quad Polsten, built in 1944 by John Inglis for the sole role to shoot down V1 flying bombs. This mount was the best one from the batch that came to England in the nineties. It has its original tyres, leather seat, full set of covers and complete sight bar, one of the best and most original in preservation and one of a handful in the world.
All four guns de-activated with proof tickets.

POA ,shipping to be arranged by the buyer but I have a very good agent over here .

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Last edited by rnixartillery; 27-07-19 at 20:59.
Old 12-09-13, 17:06

Rob.

You realize, of course, that when Rob Fast spots this he will be up all night with a very glassy look in his eyes?

David
Old 12-09-13, 17:07

Very nice - nearly bought one - just lacked the space to keep it.

Unfortunately I still dont have the space.

Tim
Old 12-09-13, 18:07
Terry Warner

Default Provencance

Not knowing the backstory on these items, where did they come from and what is significant about the 1990`s date? Were these long-lost war stocks that were finally disposed 40 or 50 years after wartime delivery, or a batch that was brought to UK and refurbished for the surplus market?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 12-09-13, 20:19
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Not knowing the backstory on these items, where did they come from and what is significant about the 1990`s date? Were these long-lost war stocks that were finally disposed 40 or 50 years after wartime delivery, or a batch that was brought to UK and refurbished for the surplus market?
Terry,

These mounts were very illusive and Very little known about them until a couple of UK based dealers found them along with Bofors Guns and 3.7 AA guns in Portugal and bought them back in the early nineties .
They were designed and built to keep up with and shoot down V1 flying Bombs over Britain, I believe they were built to a WD specification.
By the time these mounts were built and delivered there was no need for them as the allies were pushing through Europe.
How the Portuguese ended up with them is anyone's guess but I suspect through the transatlantic re-arming treaty.
As far as I am aware around 15 were found and bought back ,I can still remember going to the yard in Derbyshire and picking my one based on general condition and the TYRES ! and mine was first to be sold. some were very poor and incomplete but all have disappeared now into museums and collections.

Rob...............rnixartillery.

Last edited by rnixartillery; 13-09-13 at 00:14.
Old 12-09-13, 21:56

Rob.

Not wanting to hijack your thread but would those artillery stocks out of Portugal have surfaced around the same time a number of ex-German 88 guns showed up on the market? IIRC, they also came out of Portugal.

David
Old 12-09-13, 23:07
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Rob.

Not wanting to hijack your thread but would those artillery stocks out of Portugal have surfaced around the same time a number of ex-German 88 guns showed up on the market? IIRC, they also came out of Portugal.

David
Possibly David but I don't think any came over here unless they were in very small numbers, the last 88's to surface came from Finland in 2007.

Rob..................rnixartillery.