MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-06-13, 04:10

Default C60X questions

G'day 60xers,I'm just starting a c60x rebuild and have some queries. Are the fuel tanks 10gallons as per other cmp ls. Mine is what we in Oz call a Sunshine cab, soft top,am wondering how the canvas is attached to the cab and if there is meant to be a reinforcing brace front to rear? Did some of them have duels on the rear axels or do I have to find some split 20" rims?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
WM20 BSA (restored)
Chev Radio Van (restored)
Universal Carrier (restored)
FWD HAR-1 (restored)
Ferret Scout Car (operational unrestored)
Ford F60 Blitz 4x4 (drive able unrestored)
Chev C60X 6x6 (drive able unrestored)
Studebaker 6x6 (drive able unrestored)
Old 02-06-13, 04:14

Other photo. Can't seem to get two on!!! Advise please!,
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
WM20 BSA (restored)
FWD HAR-1 (restored)
Old 02-06-13, 04:41

The C60X fuel tanks are larger than most CMP tanks ( 2 tanks, each listed at 20 gallons in the AEDB Design Record as opposed to 2 @ 12.5 for most CMP).
Australia fitted duals to types (tipper and possibly others) that had singles elsewhere so I can't say there weren't any C60X with dual wheels, but I've never seen one and don't remember seeing reference to such.
Old 02-06-13, 11:01
Film maker, CMP addict

Default C60x

Yes, 2 X 21 gallon tanks, same size as the gun tractors and the F60T.

The sunshine roof has a raised hood bow welded in the centre from front to rear. Canvas is attached at the front to a L shaped steel piece and tied down at the rear.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-06-13, 12:10
Rick Cove

Ric,

Mike Cecil did a great C60X history on the old CMP site. see here:- http://www.oldcmp.net/C60x_cecil.html#Anchor-3800. This will explain quite a bit about the use of the C60X in Australian service.

I had one of the "Truck, Breakdown (Aust) No.4"s which is now unfortunately up at Rust Hill in SA. It is still all there but spread out over the property.

When I first obtained it , it had 7.50x20 wheels and tyres all round. I fitted 12.00x20's.

Attached are some photos of it when I first brought it home fitted with an old fuel tank for fire fighting purposes and then after we fitted the original body found at Lindenow. The wooden spares box was also there and you will see it in the photos. It had a 'Manufactured by General Motors Holden" brass plate below the right hand door.

This truck rolled going down a steep road into Lakes Enterance (Jimmy's Point) and was sold as is where is. The Mount Alfred Saw mills purchased it and turned it into a timber jinker with DUKW axles. I'll post a couple more shortly.

Regards Rick.
Attached Images

1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 02-06-13, 12:17
Rick Cove

Here are the timber jinker photos and how the Mill brought the DUKW's home down Pretty Sally on the old Hume Highway.

The C60X ARN 142144 is visible in the first and last photo's of the front shot and of the rear of the original body which had been turned into a shed, so was well protected. The gantry was used behind a tractor to level out the ground. I was fortunate to obtain everything they had for it.

The Mill owners told me that the C60X had the 7.50x20 wheels and tyres on it when they purchased it.

Regards Rick.
Attached Images

1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 02-06-13, 12:44
BSM

Default Fuel Tanks

To the first post .... good find ... a great example to bring back to life given the relative scarcity of the type. One notes with interest the various capacities of the fuel tanks for a C60X outlined in the thread thus far! Can't comment on the OS examples but the AMF Field Specification 1351 for a "Truck 3 Ton Break Down (Aust) No.4. [C60X - 6x6] as being 2x12Gal. Tanks. Seems there must have been a number of exceptions to the rule! Ric re your question about the Sunshine roof support see attached. Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Roof.jpg  
Old 02-06-13, 12:49

Heavens to Murgatroyd Rick! Those guys are suicide jockeys! I find it hard to believe that they came down Pretty Sally successfully with that setup.

Dave
Old 02-06-13, 13:24

Default More on fuel tanks

Although the FAT and C60X are both listed as having 20 gal per side tanks, the part numbers are different. I suspect this is due to filler placement or something similar rather than basic shape as the support bracket and retainer straps are the same part numbers (as usual part numbers change during the production run).
Old 02-06-13, 13:37
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Davies View Post
Other photo. Can't seem to get two on!!! Advise please!,
Ric,

Post Reply > Manage Attachments > Browse (select) > Upload.

You can select and upload a maximumum of five files from your computer per posting. Alternatively, you can upload files from a URL, too.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 03-06-13, 01:17

I can not resist and have to ask you. Maybe the vehicle was already discussed. In the Netherlands in the museum at Overloon there is a strange (to me) C60X vehicle. It has american house body (seems like taken over from GMC CCKW or anothe 2 1/2 ton us truck). Also the marking is strange to me, US Army. Does somebody know more about the vehicle, itīs origin or other details about itīs destiny? I do not know any other CMP vehicle in American livery (I am not speaking about the stars). Best regards, Jan Mostek.
Attached Thumbnails
c60x .jpg  
Old 03-06-13, 09:18

Thanks for all your input Fellas, much appreciated. Looks like I can put any fuel tanks I like and someone will be able to justify it for me !! I might start a resto blog when I get dinkum with it in a couple of months. The other mystery I have is the 4 speed gear box, it has no name or markings on the cast. The odd feature is the shift lever is mounted from inside the box and has the locating bolt on one side with a lock nut. Thanks again Ric.
WM20 BSA (restored)
FWD HAR-1 (restored)
Old 03-06-13, 17:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Mostek View Post
In the Netherlands in the museum at Overloon there is a strange (to me) C60X vehicle. It has american house body (seems like taken over from GMC CCKW or anothe 2 1/2 ton us truck). Also the marking is strange to me, US Army. Does somebody know more about the vehicle, itīs origin or other details about itīs destiny? I do not know any other CMP vehicle in American livery (I am not speaking about the stars).
Jan,

As far as I know this is an ex-Netherlands Army vehicle. It had a body off a GMC transplanted at some time during it's post-war life, reportedly while in Army service.
Forget about the US Army markings, those must have been added by someone who did not know what he was doing - or a wannabe 101st AB Div soldier

Hanno
Old 03-06-13, 19:54

Thanks, Hanno, I was sure you would know...
Old 03-06-13, 22:03
warren brown

G'day Ric - my C60X has a Blitz fuel tank on one side - a Studebaker tank on the other - it takes so long to walk around the truck you forget what one fuel tank looks like by the time you reach the other side. The C60X parts list doesn't specify tank size but denotes them as Group No. 3.001 - Tank Assy., Fuel Right 5814298 and Left 5814297. Good luck! Warren.
Ford GPW
Old 04-06-13, 03:33
V.M.V.C Member

Default fuel tanks

Hi Ric,
I’m of the understanding the C60X has the same size tanks as the Gun tractor (21 gallon) and also a tank guard between the tank and brackets. The only difference is the filler.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 04-06-13, 15:30

Yes, I'm with you, Euan: I think the guy typing the MVFS got his numbers around the wrong way (21 V 12) and then doubled it to make '24 gallons' total. It wouldn't be the first error I've seen in the MVFS sheets (and elsewhere in official docs).

Mike C
Old 07-06-13, 13:02
BSM

Default Fuel tanks

Mike & Euan whilst you have a good point and possibly just a tad of speculation (and I agree that Official documents don't always get it right!) the Danes seem to agree with the Figs. quoted in the Field Specs. I refer to the data quoted on this link... http://www.armyvehicles.dk/chevyc60x.htm
i.e., Fuel capacity: 110 liter (24 gallons)!!!
I think there is a C60X at Emu Gully.....maybe one should ask the owners if the tanks are original and what is their capacity. A good discussion point nevertheless!
Rod

Last edited by BSM; 07-06-13 at 13:09.
Old 07-06-13, 13:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Speculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
Mike & Euan whilst you have a good point and possibly just a tad of speculation (and I agree that Official documents don't always get it right!) the Danes seem to agree with the Figs. quoted in the Field Specs. I refer to the data quoted on this link... http://www.armyvehicles.dk/chevyc60x.htm
i.e., Fuel capacity: 110 liter (24 gallons)!!!
I think there is a C60X at Emu Gully.....maybe one should ask the owners if the tanks are original and what is their capacity. A good discussion point nevertheless!
Rod
Rod, here are a couple of pictures, one in Canada, one in Australia of C60X clearly showing 21 gallon tanks as fitted in the factory, complete with the guard as the gun tractors used. The only difference between these and the gun tractor tanks as Euan pointed out was the filler neck.

Canadian

Australian

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-06-13, 15:11
BSM

Keith thanks much for the great pics and supporting comments. Certainly makes recognition much easier as they are obviously of the size suggested earlier. One was not calling into question the accuracy of the comments made but more along the lines of questioning the anomaly/s that other sizes were documented elsewhere from opposite sides of the globe! Rod
Old 07-06-13, 17:30

Rod,

Yes, a tad of speculation, but not regarding the size of the tank (which I was reasonably sure of) - only why some clerk made the error, the true reason for which we will probably never know.

The Australian Contract Demand for 120 of C60X chassis in CKD form included 'Gas tanks, external measurements 13.5 inches x 12 inches x 40 inches' which converts to a volume of around 28 gallons. Take out the rounded corners, recessed ends, wall thickness, etc and its still closer to 21 gallons than 12 (or 12.5 gallons).

Mike C
Old 08-06-13, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
To the first post .... good find ... a great example to bring back to life given the relative scarcity of the type. One notes with interest the various capacities of the fuel tanks for a C60X outlined in the thread thus far! Can't comment on the OS examples but the AMF Field Specification 1351 for a "Truck 3 Ton Break Down (Aust) No.4. [C60X - 6x6] as being 2x12Gal. Tanks. Seems there must have been a number of exceptions to the rule! Ric re your question about the Sunshine roof support see attached. Rod
Just an observation. I love the fact that the picture shows the roof and windows in the 'lounge' in front of the couch 'watching telly'?
A part of the family, that's a CMP!
Or perhaps a very understanding wife? lol
Cheers
Old 08-06-13, 05:16
BSM

Not exactly Tim. Attached is an image of part of the same room at a different time. The CMP parts positioning was merely a temporary thing! Rod
Attached Images

Old 08-06-13, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
The Australian Contract Demand for 120 of C60X chassis in CKD form included 'Gas tanks, external measurements 13.5 inches x 12 inches x 40 inches' which converts to a volume of around 28 gallons. Take out the rounded corners, recessed ends, wall thickness, etc and its still closer to 21 gallons than 12 (or 12.5 gallons).

Just for fun I measured my FGT8 fuel tank: 1018 x 305 x 344mm, which converts exactly to C60X measurements above.

Unfortunately my tank is dented so I'm unable to measure actual liquid volume, however it can be calculated quite accurately as Mike suggests:

Subtracting recessed ends (2 x 18 mm) and wall thickness (2 x 1.5mm) gives 979 x 302 x 341mm = 100.8 litres. Subtracting rounded corners (65 mm radius) gives 100.8 - 3.5 = 97.3 litres = 21.4 gals. Subtracting baffle plates would bring this slightly closer to the nominal 21 gal spec.
Attached Thumbnails
TONY6315 - Copy.jpg   TONY6316 - Copy.jpg   TONY6316 - Copy (2).jpg  

Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 08-06-13 at 15:28.