MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-03-13, 18:59

Thumbs up Chevrolet C8a HUW - Bridge plate?

Can any of you learned chaps tell me where the Brit bridge plate was normally mounted? Pics would be much appreciated. Thanks - Jerry
Old 18-03-13, 22:00
Mr. HUP

Default Plates

Click the following link:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread...-Bridge-Plates
Old 18-03-13, 22:54

Default Chevrolet C8a HUW

Many thanks, so that confirms 3 should be on the plate.

Any ideas where the plate is correctly mounted, other than on the starboard wing/fender?

Cheers - Jerry
Old 18-03-13, 23:21
Mr. HUP

Default Location, location, location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
Many thanks, so that confirms 3 should be on the plate. Any ideas where the plate is correctly mounted, other than on the starboard wing/fender? Cheers - Jerry

Go back to the website and look at para 3. (d). It refers to "B" vehicles - such as the HU Wireless.

However, I have seen photos showing the plate mounted on the lower edge of the driver's side wing, mounted inside of the driver's side headlight bucket, and painted on driver's side wing between the headlight and the rad. The location of the bridge classification sign may be tied to unit Standard Operating Procedures, theatre of war, or up to the fancy of the chap told to mount the sign.

Bottom line - it's your truck, do as you wish. One way or another it will spark a debate among pickers of nits...
Old 18-03-13, 23:34
GM Fox I

Quote:
Many thanks, so that confirms 3 should be on the plate.

Any ideas where the plate is correctly mounted, other than on the starboard wing/fender?

Cheers - Jerry
Jerry, speaking as another HUW owner I wonder if a plate on the wing is even correct. From 1942 onwards, the yellow bridge class sign was painted on the right hand headlamp socket cover (only the left side had a headlamp). Later (1944), it was painted on the sheet metal inwards to sit between the headlamp socket and the rad.

I also wonder if '3' is correct. Sure, book correct but other than really early HUP's I've only ever seen '5' as in this wartime factory photo of a 1942 HUP. The same photo series shows '5' on the HUW.
Attached Thumbnails
8445 Heavy Utility 718-11242.jpg  
Old 19-03-13, 00:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I also wonder if '3' is correct. Sure, book correct but other than really early HUP's I've only ever seen '5' as in this wartime factory photo of a 1942 HUP. The same photo series shows '5' on the HUW.
From http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehi...lemarkings.htm:
"These vehicle weight classifications did not necessarily denote the actual weight in tons of the vehicle (though for tracked vehicles the numbers often coincided.) The classifications were instead derived from considerations such as axle loading, distance between axles, and impact factor."

In other words, the HUP could at one time have been re-classified having to cross bridges with a 5 ton rating. As this was the lowest Bridge Class available, many vehicles seem to have been classified as such - maybe to simplify matters?

H.
Old 19-03-13, 22:59

Default Chevrolet C8a HUW Bridge plate

Many thanks to one and all, having read all the comments I'll attach a bridge plate to the starboard wing/fender complete with a number 5. I need to retain two headlights to keep Mr Plod (the road traffic variety) happy, otherwise I'd have used the starboard head light fixing. Thanks again - Jerry
Old 20-03-13, 00:37
GM Fox I

Quote:
Many thanks to one and all, having read all the comments I'll attach a bridge plate to the starboard wing/fender complete with a number 5. I need to retain two headlights to keep Mr Plod (the road traffic variety) happy, otherwise I'd have used the starboard head light fixing. Thanks again - Jerry
You could always put it like the one on this just pre D-Day pic and keep both headlamps clear. This was the standard place from 1944 onwards and most 1942/43 13 cabs had it there by this time as well. I've never seen a separate bridge class disc on a CMP 13 cab in a wartime photo in the NW Europe theater. There are some early CMP's that had it in Canada but they seem to have been removed very soon after.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-23, 17:36
MLU Administrator

Photo of an original bridge plate with dimensions (courtesy of grant Bowker) plus one shown in situ (courtesy of Bruce Parker)

Click image for larger version

Name:	15000722_10153988933321905_7906214106010544024_o.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	135651 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040614.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	135652