MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-08-10, 04:44

Default Importing a 42 ford GPW into Canada???

I have the title and bill of sale. Do I need a recall list from ford? Is there such a thing for something this old? I had to get a recall letter for my Durango I imported.

Would trailer wheels be okay on a jeep to pass inspection? The wheels look similar to the originals and are the same size 6 x 16?
Old 28-08-10, 15:37
Terry Warner

Default imports

Congrats! Where are you in the Great White North?

Recalls are a modern invention. Before Ralph Nader people just made Detroit pay atttention to detail, and got the government's attention to enforce it. If the army wanted to fix something, they just sent out maintenance orders. Any work would have been done up to the date the vehicle was sold off.

The beauty of standard military pattern vehicles and parts is their complete interchangeability. Tires, wheels, lights, fittings, etc are interchangeable. So as far a Jeep trailers go, those wheels can be swapped forward without problems. These are not skinny-tired mass-produced homeowner utility trailers ....

You may need to get a recognized appaiser or estimator to state those obvious answers. On this forum, Brian Asbury (north of Toronto) can probably speak the language to the customs people.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-08-10, 23:48
John Dallimore

Nelson-Inform the U.S. customs of your purchase and vehicle information at least 3 days before you intend to bring it across. You must notify the port of entry you intend to use. They run a title search and lien check on the vehicle. Let U.S. customs inspect it(on their side of the border) before crossing into Canada and Canadian customs. Canada customs will make you pay your taxes on it when you enter.

I'd call the port of entry beforehand and make sure they didn't find any problems with the title before you start hauling it up here.

John
Old 29-08-10, 03:12
RIP

Default importing

hi.as was said just send org title and bill of sale to usa customs 72 hours a head of time.also have marked on the bill of sale that there is no recalls on this vehicle.i just brought a truck back a couple of weeks ago and had no problems at all.just make sure you have a clear title and the bill of sale.make sure you have it marked there is no recalls no matter what age it is they can refuse entry.regards jim.
Old 30-08-10, 02:05

Bill of sale???? I bought it off of ebay from a private seller, would the ebay item page be good enough along with the paypal receipt? How can I mark it has no recalls? I thought the recalls didn't start until the 60's?
Old 30-08-10, 13:36
John Dallimore

Nelson-Your ebay page should be good enough to prove your value, but you should have a bill of sale with the vehicle identification number on it. Anyone could have downloaded the ebay page, you need to prove it's your jeep.

I wouldn't worry about recalls. I've never been asked on vehicles that old. You still have to get a safety in Canada anyway to put it on the road, so any safety issues are the responsibility of your mechanic to advise you. For old historic vehicles, if it didn't come from the factory with it, you don't need it. If you do install modern safety equipment on it, it must be functioning properly(like turn signals, safety belts...). Some mechanics are hesitant to allow a vehicle without safety belts or signals to pass-shop around for a knowledgeable mechanic as you don't need the stuff to pass a safety.

John
Old 31-08-10, 03:51

I phoned the us customs and they said to just get the seller to type up a bill of sale and sign and date it. So I have that now. According to the canadian gov't I just need a provincial inspection. Does anybody know if thats the inspection that canadian tires does or is that the inspection just about any shop can do? I know canadian tire does both inspections but the basic inspection can be done by any shop that is certified. But is that the provincial inspection? When ever I am looking for answrs everybody is closed, I will have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 31-08-10, 06:25
RIP

Default importing

hi,bought 3 trucks in the usa in the last six weeks.you need to send the title and original bill of sale to us customs.on the original bill of sale have the owner just mark there is no recalls on this vehicle.you need to go to us customs and do your paper work and then on to can customs and pay your tax and then you are home free.it is no promblem if you cross your t and dot your i.remember title has to be there 72 hours ahead.also us customs only recieve vehicles between 8=5 mon to friday no exceptions.if you have a promblem call me and i will help you.i have brought quite a few vehicles back.regards jim 613 623 6156.
Old 31-08-10, 06:42
RIP

Default importing

hi again.john said about recalls and i just brought a truck thru us customs and they mentioned about recalls.a friend of mine is dealing in hi performance and antique vehicles ,cars trucks and boats.he has probably bringing 10 a month thru customs.he is the one who mentored me on importing.i did what he told me and have not had any promblems.on the other hand a friend just got nabbed by can customs for not doing legit paper work.his total cost and fines levied against him was 15000.00 can.i brought back a new 4 wheeler on a deal and had to take it to ctc for inspection so i could obtain a ont title but that was because it was new and never titled in canada.that inspection is for new vehicles for dot.regards jim.
Old 31-08-10, 06:57

Tomorrow I will be faxing my clear title, bill of sale, passport, ebay listing with a picture of the GPW and a cover letter with all the particulars listed incase they have trouble reading the faxed title. I did not know you had to bring the vehicle through the border between 8 AM and 5 PM.

What about the inspections???? A 42 only needs a provincial inspection is that the one that any certified inspector can do or is that the canadian tire inspection? My Canadian tire is picky.

Here is a question for you, I was going to rent a Uhaul car trailer and bring it back with that. Are you allowed to bring a Uhaul to Canada with US plates on it? I was going to bring it to Canada and then drive it back to the border town, it has a Uhaul place right at the border.

Will post pictures of the GPW soon.
Old 31-08-10, 14:26
John Dallimore

Nelson-Some mechanics will insist that you have seatbelts and turn signals, etc for a safety. If you attempt to advise them to read the Highway Traffic Act, they will stonewall you and say they know more than you do.

You would be best to ask in advance if they understand how to safety an historic vehicle. If they won't cooperate, find a mechanic who does older cars and knows the regulations.

John
Old 31-08-10, 18:50

Default Importing

Hello Nelson

In Ontario seatbelts are not required for vehicles built prior to 1970.
If you wish to have these installed then you have to have information from the original manufacture of where the approved location would be to install these and then have it done professionally. Back yard seatbelt installations are not approved. I have seen self installed seatbelt anchors get pulled through the floor in a crash.

The safety inspection would be for Provincial licencing as per original manufacture equipment for vintage vehicles.

Only new or newer vehicles ( Note sure the years) need to meet the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard and need to be modified to meet them, such as daytime running lights etc. You can look this up on the Transport Canada web
page.http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-445.htm

You have had a wealth of knowledge and experience on importation with Jim and John, which is great.

If my memory serves me right, U hauls are all registered in the USA. So you should not have a problem, but check with Canada Customs. Make sure you have a copy of the contract. The U HAUL Dollies do not have licence plates. So are not considered trailers.

Good luck

Eric
Old 01-09-10, 04:26
RIP

Default nelson

did you get the jeep home.i was told by us customs i had to provide the org title and bill of sale.no photo copies allowed or faxes. regards jim.

Last edited by jim fraser (RIP); 01-09-10 at 04:32.
Old 01-09-10, 04:42
John Dallimore

Jim-I think it's OK if you fax them the information, but you should have originals with you when you cross. They really only need the VIN to check it for liens and make sure it isn't stolen. That's why it's a good idea to phone customs and make sure they are happy with their checks before you go to all the bother of trucking your new purchase to the border and find out they found something wrong with the vehicle history.

John
Old 02-09-10, 06:47
RIP

Default john.

i believe you need the org title to cross over.i bought a trencher jeep in nj.tried to bring it thru us customs at the 1000 islands would not let me in without org title.refused me as a parts vehicle said all nj vehicles should have title.got plain ugly as they just refused every step of the way.ended up selling it in the usa to recoup some money.a real lessoned learned.regards jim.