MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 19-01-10, 15:25

Default Repro Carrier Wheels?

I wondered if anyone repros Carrier wheels and how much they were going for at the moment, me and a few mates have been starting reproducing them but wanted to know what the rough going rate was on reproed Wheels, and whether it was cost-effective enough for us to entertain this idea!

*To clarify these are the road wheels - ideally for sale in the UK*

Last edited by Swiper; 19-01-10 at 16:08.
Old 19-01-10, 18:39
Richard Harrison

where are you located ? are you repro'ing the whole casts or just the rubbers ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 19-01-10, 18:48

I'm in Swansea, S. Wales. The idea is to reproduce the full cast wheel with rubbers. I'm just poking interest to see if there is enough to do it (with enough of a margin), and then doing the legwork, and producing batches of them.

Since I travel to plenty of reenacting shows in the UK we'd most likely take them with us to shows and hopefully start reproing other bits. (At least this is the general idea!)
Old 19-01-10, 22:21
Richard Harrison

iam just up the road (6 hours or so hahahaha) well usually the castings on the wheels survive its the rubbers that get killed, and i can tell you i would like my full set re rubbered ! the idler wheels are different to the road wheels, i believe the british and Canadian ones are CTL 94 are road wheels, and the CTL 17's are the front idlers (part numbers are without looking so off the top of my head) i have both if you need patterns to use. as i say i need mine re rubbered but the castings are all good. i know that possibly Martyn and Kevin also have a stack of wheels we could pool the lot and get them re rubbered pending on costs (and if they have any that need re done) i think this would be more marketable venture than doing full wheels as the machine work etc involved would be costly, that said if you can do them it is handy to know incase anyone smashes a wheel.

if you can repro all the ammo bins and boxes that would be handy (as long as they are not silly prices ie £300 per box ??????!!!!!!!

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 19-01-10, 23:40

Richard that sounds pretty good. I'm lucky to have a good (and somewhat eccentric...) group of talents at university to look into this.

I've looked at ammo bins and discussed this with a few of the boys for a while, so I'll give them a shout and get this looked at after exams finish this weekend.

We'd need patterns, so drop me a PM with your email mate and we'll take it from there. We've got some pretty good contacts down here so it seems very reasonable.
Old 09-05-10, 23:05
David

Thumbs up re-rubbering road wheels

Hi there! If things work out for you in the UK I would also be interested in getting my wheels re-rubbered- almost the whole set are shot! I have one wheel where the rim is slightly broken but its fine for now- but if you do start making the whole wheels I might be in for one....Any thoughts on making new track sections??