MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-05-03, 06:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Does anyone have a source for new production tyres in 9.00-13 for a Bofors and 8.25-10 for a 6pdr AT gun? I have bought a set of MRF brand 9.00-13s but the tread pattern looks too modern, kind of like Michelin XML. I'm after something more like the WW2 vintage t-24 or Canadian Firestone pictured. I have found no source for an 8.25-10. Help!

...... and the sidewall has a decidedly un-vintage look to it,too!
Attached Images

Old 16-05-03, 13:37
Member since 1998

Default 900 x 13

Try John Watt at Watt's Western Rubber Co, Bayswater, on 08 978 1100 for 900 x 13's. I have seen the sand/diamond pattern tyres there before. This is the same pattern as used on most of the bofors in this state.
John deals in all types of industrial and truck tyres and have bought 700x16's and 2 pounder road tyres from him in the past. He also buys 1200 x 20 Nato patterns and anything that looks military from auctions to on sell.
I still have buggered tyres on my 6 pounder rims but they are the same wheel and tyre as the 4.5 mortar as used by us (Aussies) until the early 80's.
Old 16-05-03, 18:08
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 9.00-13's

Hi Tony

we meet again , on this forum this time .

We really cannot be picky when it comes to 9.00 -13 's , we are lucky to get any at all as they are a old and odd size from the 1930's .

Theys seem to made for the rural trade , orchadists use them on spraying trailers etc. The chances of buying modern Nylon 9.00 - 13's with the old WW2 lazy S Dunlop tread are NIL . The moulds dont exist anymore .

For road use in Hot Australia , dont take a chance with 50 year old cotton cord 6 ply tyres . Those MRF's are OK , yes they look modern , but they are SAFE .

Mike
Old 25-07-03, 13:23
MLU Administrator

Default 9.00-13 tyres wanted for Mike Ebeling

Hi Tony,

We've been in contact on this subject recently. Other than the MRF tyres, the only new production tyres available to my knowledge are made by Alliance in Israel. They have some sort of highway pattern. See Dirk Leegwater's site (http://www.lwdparts.com/) for a picture and details.

Like Mike said, safety comes before looks - ask Mike Ebeling who had two blowouts on his freshly restored Ford WOA2A Heavy Utility on his way to Beltring this year.

Mike Ebeling is not in the internet, so I'm helping him to find a source for 9.00-13 tyres. Who knows of where he can get them in the UK, or knows of anyone abroad willing to ship to the UK?

Regards,
Hanno
Old 25-07-03, 18:13

Default 900-13

Hanno

900-13's are like Unicorn poo here in the UK, eveyones's heard of them but no one can track them down, that's why I suggested Mike spoke to you to broaden the search

Pete
Old 26-07-03, 15:50
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 900-13

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
that's why I suggested Mike spoke to you to broaden the search
Pete,

I've asked Tony to mail me the contact details of the Bridgestone/Olympic chain of distributors in Australia, hoping some of them are willing to export those MRF tyres to the UK.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 26-07-03, 18:03
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Olympic tyres

Hanno and all

A few years ago I rang Olympic tyres sales dept. they told me they cannot export to overseas because the OLYMPIC name is owned by the OLYMPIC games commitee outside of Australia . Olympic tyres was founded by Frank Beaurepaire in the 1930's in Australia , it is now owned by Pacific Dunlop .

MRF is a huge company based in India , they make all sorts of stuff like cricket bats , they are not associated with OLYMPIC tyres in any way .

I asked about OLYMPIC 900-13 sand grips last year at my local tyre dealer , he quoted them at 290 each , but another source says they are out of production .

The ad below is from a Melbourne newspaper July 1942

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
argus july 24-1942.jpg  
Old 26-07-03, 18:37

Default Re: Olympic tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Kelly
Hanno and all

A few years ago I rang Olympic tyres sales dept. they told me they cannot export to overseas because the OLYMPIC name is owned by the OLYMPIC games commitee outside of Australia .

I asked about OLYMPIC 900-13 sand grips last year at my local tyre dealer , he quoted them at 290 each , but another source says they are out of production .

Mike,
Olmpic tyres are officially marketed in the UK, they are based in Staffordshire. The 9.00-13 Sand tyre which we bought some of a couple of years ago for a Humber are now shown on their website as Grass tyres and are 8 ply rating.

Richard
Old 26-07-03, 20:34

Default 900-13's

Hi Richard
hope you got back Ok from Beltring,
do you know who the distributor is in Saffs?, the F8 is coming up for a tyre change aso I know a man who would be interested

Pete
Old 26-07-03, 21:34

Default Re: 900-13's

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Hi Richard
hope you got back Ok from Beltring,
do you know who the distributor is in Saffs?, the F8 is coming up for a tyre change aso I know a man who would be interested

Pete
Hi Pete,
Got back on Monday, no problems, it takes just under one hour through the back lanes !

Take a look at the Olympic website;
www.olympictyres.co.uk
Full details are on there.

I don't think it stated max load for that tyre, but it is 8 ply, exactly the same tread as the Sand type that used to be available through Andrew Hemsley.

Richard
Old 26-07-03, 23:55
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Olympic tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
The 9.00-13 Sand tyre which we bought some of a couple of years ago for a Humber are now shown on their website as Grass tyres and are 8 ply rating.
Richard, this is super - thanks very much! I'll pass on Olympic's details to Mike Ebeling.

Hanno
Attached Images

Old 27-07-03, 18:09
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default OLYMPIC tyres again

The OLYMPIC tyre factory in Melbourne hit the headlines last year when hundreds of workers were laid off due to a downturn in sales .

My advice re: Olympic 900-13's is , if you want some, buy them now as the future supply may not be reliable . They were out of production for a long time when suddenly , OLYMPIC decided to begin making them again .

Mike
Old 27-07-03, 18:24

Default 9.00 x 13.00

Hi Mike

Are these things road legal. i.e. non agricultural tyres and are they speed restricted at all... The web site lists them under truck tyres as well as others.....

Any body any idea of price? I have mailed the company but a reply will take time.....

looking forward to your thoughts. My C8 is getting desperate!

kind regards

Nick
Old 27-07-03, 19:01
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default road use

hi Nick ,

From reports and also personal experience , the OLYMPIC 900-13's are quite safe for the average MV restorer to use . The only problem with them is , I wouldn't drive around on them on a wet bitumen road at over 40 MPH due to the slick nature of the tread pattern , they tend to slide around a bit .

The latest production batch seem to be all 6 ply , but I have seen 8 ply examples over the years . The new ones I bought are not marked " agrigultural " or speed limited , but reports suggest that some have been marked like this in the past . It depends on the batch I think .

BTW OLYMPIC were still making 900-16 chevron directional WW2 type bar treads until the early 1970's . I wonder if they still have the moulds ?

Mike
Old 27-07-03, 19:13

Default tyres

Hi Mike

It will be interesting to see what the suppliers have to say then.

I regularly have problems at MOT time because living in an agricultural area, the 9.00 x 13's "appear" to be of an agricultural type. They are always scrutinised very carefully to see it they are marked for road use and not agricultural use.

Having said that it is not uncommon to see these new JCB machines flying around at very high speeds running on what are almost certinly agriculturally rated tyres!!! So maybe something of a double standard....

One thing is for certain, I don't really want to do another season on the tyres that are currently fitted.

Hows your mate doing with the Humber?? Presumably he'll be looking too!

take care

Nick
Old 27-07-03, 20:46

Default Re: Re: Re: Olympic tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Richard, this is super - thanks very much! I'll pass on Olympic's details to Mike Ebeling.
Hanno,

Just as a matter of interest, I looked at the Olympic Sandgrip tyres that I have here and they are 6 ply where as the Grassland tyres are 8 ply. There are no details of speed rating or any other restrictions on the walls of the sand version.

There was a new 9.00-13 for sale at Beltring with just a plain rib tread, this was clearly marked as "Implement", for use on seed drills and other equally slow farm machines.

Richard
Old 28-07-03, 12:44

Default 9.00 x 13s

I have contacted Olympic this morning and they do not have any more of these tyres. The last of those on stock were sold earlier in the year to the people at the Cobbaton museum and thay say that they have none left. (or available)

Olympic also said that they didn't anticipate further deliveries of these tyres.... A shame because they are just what we're looking for....

Did I read that Andrew Hemsley has some? anybody have a contact number?

mmmmm

Nick
Old 28-07-03, 14:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 9.00 x 13s

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Bullock
I have contacted Olympic this morning and they do not have any more of these tyres.
Pity - but it ties into what Mike Kelly already told us.

So, the hunt is after those MRF's - does anyone have the contact details of the Bridgestone/Olympic chain of distributors in Australia?

Judging by the image on their website, these tyres are called "SANDGRIP - MULTI - TERRAIN". No sizes are mentioned, though.

Source: http://www.mrftyres.com
Old 28-07-03, 14:10
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 900-16 chevron directional WW2 type bar treads

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Kelly
BTW OLYMPIC were still making 900-16 chevron directional WW2 type bar treads until the early 1970's . I wonder if they still have the moulds ?
Mike,

MRF lists MUSCLELIFT Non-directional Double Chevron tyres on their site (see below), which I am pretty sure about I have seen on CMP trucks somewhere.

Could be worthwile to find out if they still have the moulds for those directional chevron tyres. Do you have a picture of this type of 9.00-16 MRF tyre?

Hanno

Source: http://www.mrftyres.com
Old 06-08-03, 12:43
Dutch member

Default Re: 9.00 x 13s

Quote:
I have contacted Olympic this morning and they do not have any more of these tyres.
Hallo Nick,

No time for Wings & Wheels in Ursel, to busy with my "Beach-Cleaning" job, more and more dreaming about snowflakes. I have 5 Olympics for my own C8 (form. Barry Churcher) but the Alliance 9.00x13 tyres are still for sale. Look at the pic's between the differences of both.

Mvg. Dirk

Last edited by Dirk Leegwater (RIP); 12-01-07 at 08:10.
Old 06-08-03, 16:10

Default Hi Dirk

As much as I would like a set of Olympics, to keep the truck on the road I am probably going to have to look at the Alliance tyres. My concern at the moment is the spec and markings on these tyres. They are sold as speed limited / rated agricultural tyres.

I have checked with the UK MOT helpline who say there is nothing in the regulations to say they cannot be fitted, but they passed me on to the Ministry of Trnsport from whom I'm awaiting a reply over the legality of use on UK roads...

The other issure is of course the actual tyre specification. Implement or agricultural tyres have a speed limit of 25mph.

How are your tyres marked and what is there ply rating? My truck is currently fitted with Alliance tyres (about 20 years old!) but they are NOT marked agricultural.

To be honest, I'm sure that in this sort of application the tyres would be fine right up until there were any problem or accident when the nature of the tyres could be called into question.

Interestingly I saw a number of vehicles at the weekend down at Duxford using IMPLEMENT tyres.....

this ambualnce looked great on is brand new 10.50s (another problem size) But how legal is it?

It must just be my nervous dispostion!

kind regards

Nick
Attached Images

Old 06-08-03, 21:24
Dutch member

Default Re: Hi Dirk

Quote:
IMPLEMENT tyres.....

this ambulance looked great on is brand new 10.50s (another problem size) But how legal is it?

It must just be my nervous dispostion!

Hallo Nick,

Look at the picture, Steven's C15TA ready for the final check to get his vehicle licence paper by a Dutch check station a few weeks ago. No problem with the 10.50x16 tyres (MITAS Implement), in UK maybe other rules ?
The Alliance 9.00x13 tyres are 8 ply.

Mvg. Dirk

Last edited by Dirk Leegwater (RIP); 12-01-07 at 08:08.
Old 06-08-03, 22:13

Default tired of tyres

Hi Dirk

The K2 that I saw at Duxford also had the Mitas tyres fitted and they looked good. with a fairly convincing tread pattern too.

My problem stems from the local vehicle testing station that is not happy passing on an MOT test implement marked agricultural tyres.

I have checked with the UK body responsible for MOT standards and they say there is no reason not to use these tyres, but was then refered to the ministry of transport who also advised that there was no mention in the regulations of using these tyres. the inference was that as long as they met the ale loading and speed limit specifications set by the manufacturers then it was '....probably ok'!

However both qualified their statement by saying that the advice was just that 'advisory'.

None of this is really a problem until there is an accident or other problem where the nature of the tyres are called into question, at which point it would be too late!

Niether organisation would put anything in writing for me either!

I am currently waiting for a further comment from the ministry of transport that may possibly claryfy things a little more.

Heres hoping...

The is apparently a batch of tyres out there that have a 12 ply rating but are again implement. You would have thought that they were stronger still and well up to the job.....

I will pass on to the forum anything else that I find out...

I hope that I don't have this much trouble sourcing trackgrip tyres for the HUP... Thats the next job!

Fabulous looking C15TA. Feel free to pass on any tips on how you turn these jobs round so quickly and to such a high standard!!!

kind regards

Nick
Old 07-08-03, 07:50
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default MRF 9.00-13 sandgrip

The 9.00-13 MRF's that I have are 6 ply and have no speed warnings, agricultural or implement rating, or anything else to suggest they can't be used on the road (except the ton of lead weights that would be required to balance them ). Olympic Australia DEFINITELY DO NOT have any more "Grasslands" in stock and won't be making any more. They are importing the MRF's as they say it is cheaper for them to sack their staff and import from India! Despite my hurt Aussie pride, I can't see anything wrong with the MRF's. They seem to be a very well made tyre, just with a modern tread pattern. Hanno, the phone number I have for Olympic is a Aust only 1300 number. We can call anywhere from within Aust for a local call, but you can't dial it from overseas. I would try MRF direct, as I can't see the economy in shipping tyres from India to Aust, and then pay a distributor to ship them back to Europe
Attached Images

Old 07-08-03, 12:09

Nick,

Quote:
I hope that I don't have this much trouble sourcing trackgrip tyres for the HUP... Thats the next job!
I used the good old RF option off the ferret. I know there has been much debate on rims and tyre walls but I fitted them previously to the PUTR and now the ambulance. Went onto the rims no problem and sit squarely. Also the added bonus of not being too concerned on carrying a spare, for which of course there is no provision.

Ian
Old 07-08-03, 14:09
MLU Administrator

Default Re: MITAS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Leegwater
No problem with the 10.50x16 tyres (MITAS Implement), in UK maybe other rules ?
The MITAS IM-1 10.50-16 tyre is in the "Agricultural tires: Implement non traction" category. Click here for a picture, and here to see the rating details about these tyres.

This is the same tyre as the BARUM NT-3:

Source: http://www.obnova-bicom.cz/protrkt3.php

BARUM is a brand name from the Czech firm CGS (Ceská gumarénská spolecnost), but for some reason various tyres in their program are now marketed under the MITAS brand name (from Turkey). And if I'm not mistaken these are all subsidiaries of Continental.....who would have thought the world of tyres is so complex
Attached Images

Old 07-08-03, 14:14
MLU Administrator

Default Re: HUP tyres?!?

Quote:
Well Nick, I think finding 9.00-13's is a breeze compared to finding 9.25-16's...
Old 07-08-03, 14:15
MLU Administrator

Default Re: MRF 9.00-13 sandgrip

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Hanno, the phone number I have for Olympic is a Aust only 1300 number. We can call anywhere from within Aust for a local call, but you can't dial it from overseas. I would try MRF direct, as I can't see the economy in shipping tyres from India to Aust, and then pay a distributor to ship them back to Europe
Thanks Tony, I'll pass this on to Mike Ebeling, so he can figure it out for himself
Old 07-08-03, 14:23

Default 9.25

Hanno

I gave up on 9.25 x 16 a long time ago..... I have to resolve the tyre issue or I will be driving a Jeep next year with thetrucks standing idle!

and I'm too old for jeeps.. they were fine when I was 20 and very keen....

regards

Nick
Old 08-08-03, 11:38
MLU Administrator

Default Re: implement tyres

Quote:
The other issure is of course the actual tyre specification. Implement or agricultural tyres have a speed limit of 25mph.
In a message posted on the CMP mailing list on the subject of Simex 9.00-16 tyres, Richard Notton notes a reason for tyres being marked "implement":
Quote:
[The Simex ST24/SA24 tyres] have performed faultlessly on the F15 and I do wonder if the huge weight of actual run-flats might not overawe the shock absorbers. In tiny numbers these wont be E marked but must have "another" designation, in this case I believe something like "implement" was stamped in black ink, almost invisible except in a certain light, on one wall only which really defines which way the tyres are fitted, if you get my drift.
So in fact the "implement" rating on tyres might only have to do with the fact that it does not pay back to certify a certain type of tyre of which only relatively small numbers are sold in the European Union.

Who knows more about this?

Hanno