MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-11, 18:17

Default Ontario Regiment ( Tank ) Museum

This past Saturday, I visited the museum of the Ontario Regiment ( Tank ) just outside Oshawa Airport.
Fabulous museum with a wide array of armoured vehicles from the '40's, 50's, 60's and '70's.
Highlight of the day was seeing a Veteran take a spin in a Sherman Tank.

Also, regarding the museum's finances. I spoke with the director...they are not closing their doors anytime soon. But, any donations are greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Ontario Regiment Museum1.jpg   Ontario Regiment Museum2.jpg  

Last edited by randall klein; 06-10-11 at 20:06.
Old 07-10-11, 00:39

As long as they are being funded by the regiment and DHH they wont close or sell anything. Every military museum is in the same boat, there is no money untill someone wants something.
I have 71 MVs on my D.A. with about 45 being operational, I have been after cement pads sence june of 1999 when started...still no cement pads unless its in a high profile area....Museum cant be seen from the main road ....Yet!

Jason
Old 07-10-11, 04:52
Anthony Sewards

Jason

71 is a nice number, I have 6 on my DA.................wanta trade............

Anthony
Old 07-10-11, 15:37

Scratch that its now 72 Just signed for another m-113, cfr 35387.
Old 07-10-11, 18:54

Default 72 Vehicles

Are these 72 vehicles all sitting outside?
Old 08-10-11, 00:12

Yes Ed all sitting out side the same as all military museums owned by DHH, I know where your going with this! as i have seen it before on other threads, but remember at the end of the day we still have em and they run...
Sorry if i go on the defence but it really burns my butt when arm chair historians start yipping off about how they they are rusting away and what the point of having them if you cant look after them...What i would really like to see is these people put these money where there mouth is and come out ang give a hand or spend a day seeing how it really is in these museums, a bit different that showing up for a visit then seeing things that are wrong in the collections and going on a public forum and complaining about it where the people cant even respond to it....Reminds me of someone a few years ago that showed up at the museum in Gagetown.The truth is we doing because we just as you love em too and have no support if we dont they wind up as razor bladesor garbage and nobody will ever see em.
Jason
Old 08-10-11, 01:24

Jason, the really good news....a whole bunch of folks read the article in the Toronto Sun and visited the Ontario Regiment museum. Quite a few did the right thing and made donations.

I would be very interested in learning more about your own museum.... Can you post some pictures? Is there a website?
Randy
Old 08-10-11, 02:11

Randy, The new web site is www.nbmilitaryhistorymuseum.ca

There is not a lot of content yet as it is a work in progress,There is only two of us well only really one (me) but I have 5 or 6 return to work guys at any time, these are mostly guys that have PTSD,so i try to employ them to keep there minds at ease.
There is also a face book page just look up New Brunswick military history museum.
Jason

Last edited by jason meade; 08-10-11 at 02:17.
Old 08-10-11, 03:15

I Really should join the Ontario Regt Museum and help with it..however after running the Camp X Museum in Whitby for 6 years..and having to close it and "Lend" on long term...all the artifacts...many from BSC Headquarters in New York.....to a Gov Agency in Ottawa...my heart is somewhat out of it

However we MUST Carry On....gotta save something!!!

Dean
Old 08-10-11, 11:26

Default Yikes!

All I asked was if they are outside, I may be in Gagetown and was going to photograph the new arrivals...
Old 08-10-11, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason meade View Post
Randy, The new web site is www.nbmilitaryhistorymuseum.ca

There is not a lot of content yet as it is a work in progress,There is only two of us well only really one (me) but I have 5 or 6 return to work guys at any time, these are mostly guys that have PTSD,so i try to employ them to keep there minds at ease.
There is also a face book page just look up New Brunswick military history museum.
Jason

Jason,
Thanks for the link. I will be in touch after the long weekend.

Randy
Old 08-10-11, 18:50

Sorry Ed, I was on the defence,There has been alot of whining about things of this nature from people who I would think would understand and who do ppost on this forum.
I appoligise. If you are in Gagetown soon Please come and look me up or you can contact me at jason.meade@forces.gc.ca
I will give you the full tour inside and out with the new plans for the new museum.
I will be soon putting them away for winter ie tarping them up after Nov 11 if the snow holds off that long.
Jason
Old 08-10-11, 19:25
MUTT Guy

Quote:
I will be soon putting them away for winter ie tarping them up after Nov 11 if the snow holds off that long.
Jason
Let me know if you need a work party.
Old 08-10-11, 21:44

Thanks Scotty er Captian, You need to come and see me ie radio parts, cus thats the next room to be packed for the move.
Jason
Old 09-10-11, 03:56
Terry Warner

If it is any encouragement, the "base commander" for CFSU (Ottawa) has spread the word to a few Ottawa collectors about getting a broad sample of vehicles for displays at various buildings around the city. So, the carrier outside Cartier Square Drill Hall isn't going to be the only public display. Connaught has a handful of vehicles, but not nearly enough.

You'd think concrete pads would be easy to get done. But apparently every pencil-swinging staff type has to have his say in what happens on base. Got any pull with the Construction Engineers at the CER or the survey students at CFSME? Forms and readi-mix, with a set of site drawings ... Actually, let me work the tech net on the surveying.

Thank you for giving the Return to Work troops something to do with their days. I had a succession of failed baby pilots reporting to me for a while. A grown man needs to know the institution of the Forces cares. They accepted what I could do with/for them, but there was one SOB who still had thought other work was beneath him. He wasn't stressed; he was just a jerk.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-10-11, 15:51

Terry, If Command wants something to put around as gate guards put the bug in his ear that he has to contact DHH to get on the list of bases and museum that want items....We have a national stock compound that we can draw from.
We have tryed the CFSME route...dident work out so well.
Truth is we are working on plans for a new museum that will have ample room to house the collection indoors or for the most part of it anyway.
My work shop alone has been given 100x100 space.
Its hard for us to draw from units as we are a base museum, the units on base all have there own regimental museums,2RCR has theres in london,and so on.
CFSME is the only one however they brought there museum with them when they left chillawack.
Here are few pictures of the compound that we draw from sometimes,Some new stuff is kept here also.
All m-113 and m109s minus one in the back corner are do to be distroyed this winter.
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
301084_10150783390150484_901560483_20554999_4795316_n.jpg   302929_10150783390600484_901560483_20555008_3998974_n.jpg   313923_10150783391120484_901560483_20555018_112760_n.jpg  
Old 09-10-11, 16:29
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Thanks Scotty er Captian, You need to come and see me ie radio parts, cus thats the next room to be packed for the move.
Jason
I'm off to the other side of the Water Tower for 2 weeks on Tuesday
Old 09-10-11, 16:35

I will put some stuff aside for you.
Old 11-10-11, 18:20

Quote:
I will put some stuff aside for you.
Jason,
I will send you an email later today.

Cheers
Randy
Old 12-10-11, 03:40
Terry Warner

Quote:
... Here are few pictures of the compound that we draw from sometimes,Some new stuff is kept here also.
All m-113 and m109s minus one in the back corner are do to be distroyed this winter.
Jason
Would that burnt Mil-verado be the cause of last years' CANFORGEN that grounded the fleet and ordered drivers not to park green military trucks on grass? Sheesh! Every prairie boy knows about hot cat' converters, having either seen fires started by one or done it himself.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 12-10-11, 12:22

Naw Terry these two burnt last fall, If i remember these were parked inside the hanger and the boys put them out for the weekend at the end of the day.
Few hours later they were cooking with gas...
Had something to do with a mod that was done and loose connections....
Not really sure so i shouldent say.
You can just make out the roof and side of the cab through the drivers side of the first truck.
Jason