MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 04-08-10, 02:35
M38A1 CDN3

Default Veh tac signs...post war

Let me list three assumptions below so that I can stand corrected if one or any are wrong.

I'm posting about SMP veh tac signs specifically during the 1970s/1980s.

Assumption No 1: That factory painted SMPs on a static unit's DA would have stencils in white.(i.e. ECC, C/S, TP)

Assumption No 2: That an SMP VMOd to a field unit, after having 2 or 3 coloured cam paint applied, would have black stencilling.

Assumption No 3: That a static unit's SMP wouldn't/shouldn't have black stencilling, and, conversely, that a field unit's SMP wouldn't/shouldn't have white stencilling.
Old 04-08-10, 18:45

Default Vehicle markings

Hello Jon

To support your assumptions.

From what i have in documentation, vehicle markings 1957/1962, which i understood covered up to the camouflage pattern.

gloss green vehicles.

Unit Sign, The unit title in a coloured rectangle was in black. The other vehicle markings as you indicated were in white.

CFR on yellow painted vehicle in black. on all other vehicles white.

bridge class, yellow circle with black number

Canada markings, was a gold mple leaf on a formation sign but later changed to Canada Flag.

Tire Pressure White on the inside of the cab in a prominent location, if not already shown on a plate by the manufacture.

Later when the Canadian Forces logo came out the larger vehicles had these on the doors, inluding SMP's.

Camo pattern
It is my understanding that low visibility markings were used when the Camouflage was introduced. That is flat black paint.
The only exception was the red and white Canadian flag which is still in use today. (But some vehicles have the black and green version.)
I am not aware of the 80's Camouflage pattern having white markings.

Exceptions
Some M series vehicles were never painted Camouflage and still sported their gloss green. Some of these did have the low visibility markings on them.

Some of the earlier camouflage patterns did sport the earlier markings.

I hope that this helps and i am sure somebody else will post info, which we are missing.

Thanks
Eric
Old 05-08-10, 00:12
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
I am not aware of the 80's Camouflage pattern having white markings.
This was true except for 4 CMBG in Germany. According to some 4 CMBG gurus, the Tac Signs were changed to white between 83 and 85 in order to fall into line with the other NATO units. All the remaining markings like C/S etc were left in Black or OD/Green.

Scotty
Old 05-08-10, 02:01
MUTT Guy

These photos were sent to me by someone from another Forum. The caption is as follows:

In 1978, a Recce Troop from the Windsor Regiment was flown over to Lahr on a call-out to serve as the RHQ Recce Troop for the RCD. At that time, the RCD did not keep a Call Sign "60" on a regular basis. As a result, we had to draw our Jeeps from a couple of different sources. Some were from war storage, and others were signed over by the Sqn OCs and the COs personal rover. Therefore the Tac Signs were painted over and the Call Signs painted on by us. CFRs were stenciled onto the front and rear bumpers, so CFR plates were not attached.

In this case, these M151A2s all have the 3 Color Cam Pattern, but yet the ECC is clearly painted on in white. Goes to show ya, rules were all written in pudding
Old 05-08-10, 02:23

Default Markings

Hello Scotty

I knew somebody had some more info to add.

It looks like the white CFR on the front bumper followed the British and US tradition of not having licence plates.

Odd considering we did use the DND plate overseas as well and even provincial plates when they were issued.

Thanks

Eric