MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 13-08-04, 22:36
Dave Good

Default Brengun Carrier $

Hello all.This is a new site for me as i have a m37 but here goes.I posibly have the chance to aquire a couple of brengun carriers a mark1&2 as the seller tells me.I am not sure as i do not realy know the difference or if there is one between a brengun and universal carrier.The side armor is missing and he says that one is running.My question is what are they worth as i do not know where to start.Any help would be appreciated David.
Old 14-08-04, 01:33
In Vino Veritas

Default Carrier value

What's the price of cheeze in Spain? Who knows. That means they're as much or as little as the buyer and seller want/will pay. It would help to have pictures of said items. One running with no armour or little bits.stowage boxes , lights, hooks, fittings , track condition?, brakes?, etc. went for 5000us in the spring on Ebay and a MKI which is remarkedly complete though not running just sold on ebay for 8000ish US. SO I would say the first one was WAY over priced. I figure a couple grand Canadian for the ones you describe would be fair to both and not a screaming deal to either. If you want to restore one to complete then expect to spend A LOT to buy or fabricate all the missing bits not including sandblasting or painting. And a truebren gun carrier was before MKI's and MkII's but it is the slang given to all the carriers the Universal Carrier is what the chap has. I've been a little down and dirty with the information there is a lot more to it , but the above is accurate though at a rudimentary level. Send pics, we can assess them more.
Incidentally I've a MKII and I will be in Edmonton for a few weeks in Sept if you wanted someone to go have a look with you, I'll even wear a blindfold.
Sean

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...rrier+for+sale
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff

Last edited by Snowtractor; 14-08-04 at 01:38.
Old 14-08-04, 01:48
T-16, C15A

Default No Price Too High.

No. Price Too High

A fellow told me a funny story once that had a misplaced period as the punchline in a tale of how much something cost. If you could post some pix those amongst us who have Carriers could let you know what these may be worth.

They usually come with some, or most, of the armour missing. I got both of mine that way. I stripped them both down and got one that has been plenty of fun. A little welding and some green paint - and a blind man would be happy to see it!

Your new prizes are most probably 'just' Universal Carriers. The differences between MkI and MkII are small, and I have seen plenty of restored Carriers ( including my own ) with bits from either Mark attached. I work in a defence plant and we swap parts in and out - only you and 4 others in the whole world will know.

Whatever the mark, and condition - get those Carriers! You will be able to sell your truck to get money to pump into them, and soon you will be amongst one of the most elite gangs on the planet. This should not deter you - as there are Carrier friends as close as Edmonton, AB. When you go to a parade all of the veterans will jump out of the Cadillac convertibles to be able to get a ride with you instead. When you drive down the road with the machine on the trailer you will get the thumbs up from plenty of folks ( except women ) .

Parts are everywhere, but never the one you need. This will serve as a basis for endless trips to swap meets, flea markets and rallys. The fun will be enormous. The stuff that is usually preventing you from starting up the engine is all repro'd now for the car guys. The automotive systems are quite simple to fix, and track wear will never be a problem.

Keep us informed. Good luck.

Stewart

I have attached a picture of how mine looked 4 years ago. It was lead armoured vehicle in the parade in Ottawa this past D-Day.
Attached Thumbnails
fun.jpg  
Old 14-08-04, 04:09

Default Not fair......

Don't be so modest and show him a picture of what an excellent job you did restoring it.......

...but don't tell him about the marriage counselling bills and psychiatric assessment you were submitted to......

....I have attached a picture worth a 1000 words.... the joy of a veteran sitting in your UC..... at CC3

Bob C
Attached Images

Canada
Old 14-08-04, 21:51
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Not fair......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob C.

...but don't tell him about the marriage counselling bills and psychiatric assessment you were submitted to......

Bob C

Is this something to do with the counselling, Stu?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 15-08-04, 00:33
Greybeard Member

Talking Now, there's a photo for ebay!

Hello Stewart

My goodness, look at that!

An 'ULTRA-RARE' left-hand drive Universal Carrier!

Prototyped by Ford of Canada for domestic use, I bet!

No, wait, for use by the US Army!

That's the ticket! Only a gazzlion dollars.

(cease taking mickey here)

I've seen your carrier and the amount of work you did was tremendous.

I wonder how many UC's there are around the world?

Steve
Old 15-08-04, 05:39
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Now, there's a photo for ebay!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Guthrie
I wonder how many UC's there are around the world?
Hi Steve,

SUNRAY here, at Jon Skagfeld's place for the weekend (after the Acton show). We're wondering the same thing and trying to figure it out; I know the Aussies have something close to 200 LP carriers documented right now, but elsewhere, I'll bet there's more Canuck carriers than anything else. We WILL figure it out... and one of these years - before those bloody people from OZ ( ) do - we'll host the largest gathering of carriers since WW2...
Old 15-08-04, 10:33
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Decimal places

"A fellow told me a funny story once that had a misplaced period as the punchline in a tale of how much something cost."

This is not funny at all! After seeing John Belfield in Keefy's original "Year of the Blitz" video mention that he was getting on in years and was selling off some items for the younger blokes (That's me) to have a go, the next time I was down that way I dropped in on John to see his excellent museum and his collection (it was only in the back of my mind that some items were for sale, this was a tourist trip, not a buying trip). Among the many beauties there, was a hull of an Aussie LP1 Carrier, hull no 5 actually. This had to be the lowest numbered carrier I had ever seen and LP1's were quite rare, but mechanically simple to repair. Despite NOT being on a buying trip, this was seriously calling my name and luring me on to the rocks. In a casual, disinterested way I asked John what value he might place on this crude relic, and the conversation struck an awkward pause when said "Oh, I'd say it's worth at least 12". Well, that's me out of the picture, back on with the tourist hat and continue looking for another carrier. Later that year, at the "Year of the Studebaker" event at Corowa, the South Australians are talking about their purchases at Col Anderson's auction and one of them (Bob, you might help here, I've forgotton his name) mentions that he picked up LP1 carrier hull no 5 from John Belfield's for "under 2 grand". Well, you could knocked me over with a feather. John's asking price was "at least 12 HUNDRED" and I'd thought it was 12 THOUSAND. I'd been blinded by the rarity and uniqueness of this carrier and assumed it was worth more I understand that this LP1 may be finished in time for Corowa 2005, "Year of the Carrier" and I have no doubt that it will be the oldest Aussie carrier there. I am now much more specific when asking prices.:idea: Worth 12 what? Thousand , hundred? 12 cartons of VB?

Last edited by Tony Smith; 15-08-04 at 10:40.
Old 16-08-04, 05:38
Dave Good

Default carrier $

Thanks for the replies.I have been out of town this weekend.Is the side armor hard to find or reproduce? I will try to attatch a picture.Like allways i like to get some kind of idea of what a resonable price to start with as i am unfamiliar with parts and avalibility of them.
Attached Thumbnails
kalvin 5.jpg  
Old 16-08-04, 05:43
Dave Good

Default carrier $

Here is another picture
Attached Thumbnails
kalvin 1.jpg  
Old 16-08-04, 21:14
T-16, C15A

Default Re: carrier plate

Quote:
Originally posted by super dave
Thanks for the replies.I have been out of town this weekend.Is the side armor hard to find or reproduce? I will try to attatch a picture.Like allways i like to get some kind of idea of what a resonable price to start with as i am unfamiliar with parts and avalibility of them.
Dave,

I thought that all of this Carrier talk has scared you away! It looks as if the snow has come early to the West ( I can hardly wait for it here in Ontario - damn summer is TOO long! )

The armour is tough to find - although it does show up here and there - usually under a pile of rocking horse poo. The owner of said pile usually thinks it is gold.

Luckily a guy in Barrie, Ontario repros all of the hard to make front plates, and the rest are all straight and flat. The fellow in Barrie is Rob Groves - he has a web site with prices.

The best pix is more pix, so keep 'em coming.

Stewart
Old 17-08-04, 01:39
Dave Good

Default carrier $

Is there blueprints or some thing that a person can copy to make the rest of the armor? And i will come back to my origional question,What would a resonable price be for the carriers in the pictures? an average middle of the road price that i can work with.There is the posibility of a trade so thats why i am trying to get a rough price so that the cash difference might go either way.What would someone pay for all of the side armor if some thing came availible?
Old 17-08-04, 05:11
Dave Demorrow

never ask the question (what is this worth) of a military vehicle. everyone has there own idea. just remember that you will probably never make money from your deal and you will put many late nights in getting the son of a %$#%^ in running order. but when you fire up the carrier and turn heads towing it down the road it will be worth $100,000.00....... to you.

the best things about carriers is the fact that you can tow them with a pick up truck. thats something you cant do with bigger half tracks, M-113s, or other larger vehicles.

the answer... if you can aford it and most of the running gear is there get em, i would.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL