MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-02-07, 01:55
Vets Dottir

Question Tone Deaf?

Hi folks,

Do you have trouble learning to hear and play those notes or are you a whiz? Somewhere in between? Here is something fun to do ... this little test to find out where you're at regards having an ear for music ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lineScreen.swf

3 of the tests I knew I hit the wrong answer immediately but too late to fix back! I scored an 83.3 anyways.

Greater than 90% (World class musical abilities)
Greater than 75% (Excellent musical abilities)
Greater than 60% (Good musical abilities)
Less than 50% (May have pitch perception deficit)

I imagine the test results would vary a little depending on fatigue or alertness, or congestion effecting the ears, etc.

Karmen
Old 02-02-07, 02:32
Vets Dottir

If you're one of those who hates taking tests and get stressed about it, maybe you can do some Laughter Yoga to lighten up first

http://www.laughteryoga.ca/

Ma Yappy
Old 02-02-07, 03:18
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Only 75%, surprised the hell out of me because I've got a pretty good ear. Mind you, I just woke up...
Old 02-02-07, 03:23
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Only 75%, surprised the hell out of me because I've got a pretty good ear. Mind you, I just woke up...
I beat ya, I beat ya, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah
Old 02-02-07, 03:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
I beat ya, I beat ya, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah
Yeah, yeah, now put yer money where yer mouth is and sing for the laddies...
Old 02-02-07, 03:33
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, now put yer money where yer mouth is and sing for the laddies...
Having a good ear does NOT gaurantee being able to sing especially not when a smoker and the throat is harrassed ... iffen ya can't breath or open that throat and diaphrahm ya can't hit those notes and/or keys anymore (I should know ARGH)
Old 02-02-07, 04:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Having a good ear does NOT gaurantee being able to sing especially not when a smoker and the throat is harrassed ... iffen ya can't breath or open that throat and diaphrahm ya can't hit those notes and/or keys anymore (I should know ARGH)
Excuses, excuses. You'll damn well sing for us at Corowa...
Old 02-02-07, 11:54
Vets Dottir

Hey ... the site has more tests

Tone Deaf
Adaptive Pitch Perception
Rythm Deaf

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

Have fun ... maybe if you do them again and again we'll all develop our musical listening skills?
Old 02-02-07, 12:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

How is it I can't hum a note, but I can guess engine revs within 100rpm by pitch?
Old 02-02-07, 12:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
How is it I can't hum a note, but I can guess engine revs within 100rpm by pitch?
Inbreeding.
Old 02-02-07, 12:50
Vets Dottir

More like selective hearing I would think
Old 02-02-07, 17:49
FIOR GO BAS

Well I better not show my wife my test score, I got 75% as well. NOW she is going to KNOW I simply tune her out.
Old 03-02-07, 23:41

Default banjo player tone deaf

What a great test especialy as im trying to learn pedal steel guitar can we have more than one go and take the best result
please! as i only got sixty three per sent .
regards vic uk.
Old 04-02-07, 00:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: banjo player tone deaf

Quote:
Originally posted by victor eaton
What a great test especialy as im trying to learn pedal steel guitar can we have more than one go and take the best result
please! as i only got sixty three per sent .
regards vic uk.
Funny, I just redid these tests and immediately checked in here and saw your post My scores todauy worse than when I first did them.

YES ... you can do the tests as often as you like it seems ... it seems there is a series and an order to go through the 3 different tests and final comments/scores at the end?

Tone deaf first, then the pitch test, then the rhythm test

Quote:
Check to see if your difficulty dancing is due to a rhythm perception problem. Wouldn't that be a great excuse? "It's not me, it's my cerebellum."

As of December 12th, 2006, over 120,000 people have had their scores submitted!
I seem to have always had trouble with pitch and rhythm and it says in the site that those two are linked ... a problem with one means a problem with the other. (a neurological glitch? I dunno )

Karmen
Old 04-02-07, 00:11
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Pylon1357
Well I better not show my wife my test score, I got 75% as well. NOW she is going to KNOW I simply tune her out.
Fine excuse,. that The lower your score means the less able you are to control when you tune her out ... THAT could work as an excuse? I'm sorry dear, I'm very tone deaf and didn't hear you, so stop getting irritated with me, I can't help it, its my BRAIN
Old 11-02-07, 05:26
Vets Dottir

Canadian Idol

Well, my daughter and about 4 of her friends learned yesterday that Canadian Idol was doing auditions in Calgary today, and totally unprepared and/or ready for the whole schamoley they all went down to audition today just for the heck of it. None of them got beyond the first rounds of judges of course (totally unprepared good voices or not, and they all have good ones) My daughter was told to come back next year Woo Hoo.

Most of the kids who get chosen have a background of having performed so they already know a lot about performance.

What a fun (and scarey ) birthday for her (24th today) Her and one of her friends also got a photo with Ben Mulroney (yeppers ... Brian Mulroney's son hosts the program )

Ever try singing when anxiety has your throat in a vise-grip? Ya hit high notes ya never hit before and you don't even have the volume to project it and the notes get hit when you aren't supposed to hit 'em I'm just totally impressed that they all did it scared and unprepared and are okay and laughing about it.

Wow folks ... I can't believe my YOUNGEST child is now 24 ... where the heck did the time go? Incredible.

Mama Karmen
Old 11-02-07, 10:22

Default music

HELLO VETS
Well i think they are very brave to even have a go at something like that all credit to them i have a grown up daughter she studied classical guitar but gave up when she got married i keep trying to persuade her to get going again to no avail i play five string banjo and am now having a go at pedal steel guitarit looks as though its a mountain to climb so im scrabbling around in the foothills at the moment with this one tell your girls to join or form a band they will get to sing and enjoy them selfs at the same time its difficult to tell whats going on with records its all done too good for my liking i enjoyed the times when people made thier own music no electronics covering things up.
regards vic uk.
Old 11-02-07, 11:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: music

Quote:
HELLO VETS
Well i think they are very brave to even have a go at something like that all credit to them i have a grown up daughter she studied classical guitar but gave up when she got married i keep trying to persuade her to get going again to no avail i play five string banjo and am now having a go at pedal steel guitarit looks as though its a mountain to climb so im scrabbling around in the foothills at the moment with this one tell your girls to join or form a band they will get to sing and enjoy them selfs at the same time its difficult to tell whats going on with records its all done too good for my liking i enjoyed the times when people made thier own music no electronics covering things up.
regards vic uk.
Hi Vic,

Thank you for your kind words ... and yes, they were all pretty brave to give this a go, having a pretty good idea of the skills and abilities they would need to even get in the game for a minute I think it would be great if my daughter and her friends got together, wrote some original music and songs, and performed locally, just for the experience and to keep music part of their lives. Start small, build and grow in experience and ability ... and all that ... just for developing it all and if something comes of it, awesome bonus (maybe)

I'll bet your daughter will get back to the music at some point. It's addictive for some people, isn't it?

Like you, I like "the good old days" where the body and voice are developed to sing and play different instruments, and stretching that, as opposed to "everyone can play with machines and distort/create different effects" even though those things can be fun and sound great too. I guess it depends what end results someone wants. I'd like my daughter to develop her voice and abilities just as a self-mastery thing and just keep building on that.

I'm not into the music to those degrees for myself but if I were young again (and ablebodied) I would dive right into it all (including dance) and develop and take things as far as I could go just to see how much I could learn to do.

By the way, I really like banjo sounds.

I think there's some sort of arts and/or music festival happening in Oz (Adelaide?) while I'll be over there but it looks like it costs a fortune to attend so I'll have to sing badly and pound on a frying pan instead. Maybe I'll try and yodel?

I enjoy being around people making music ... music potlucks are great. Everyone brings an instrument and/or their voices and we all do a music jam night. Great fun for everyone. Don't need talent, just need to play and enjoy

G'Night,

Karmen
Old 11-02-07, 15:26
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: music

Quote:
HELLO VETS
Well I think they are very brave to even have a go at something like that all credit to them i have a grown up daughter she studied classical guitar but gave up when she got married i keep trying to persuade her to get going again to no avail i play five string banjo and am now having a go at pedal steel guitarit looks as though its a mountain to climb so im scrabbling around in the foothills at the moment with this one tell your girls to join or form a band they will get to sing and enjoy them selfs at the same time its difficult to tell whats going on with records its all done too good for my liking i enjoyed the times when people made thier own music no electronics covering things up.
regards vic uk.
Vic..
As a Canadian maritimer,we are required by law to sing,dance and/or play a musical instrument...all of which I do with some exuberance...
Most of my musical repetoire of song is the filthy but funny barrack room varity that my dear ,sweet mother would roll over in her grave if she heard her sweet little lad mouthing such perverted,disgusting tunes....
Having started music lessons at 6 years old on the 88 ,I laboured and languished on the road to musical noteriety untill mother giving up trying to find a music teacher for me when my father was transfered ,through the bank,to the outports of Newfoundland in '53...
I escaped the dreaded 88 until my father was once again transfered back to the mainland and I like every other teen in the civilized world was infected by the rock and roll disease..in '56...
At which time my mother bought me a 6 string Framus guitar and a music book and all ready having a piano in the house attacked music with a vengence..( Dennis Douroty,of the Mama's and The Papa's ,recently deceased ,lived across the street from me)
When I heard Luther Perkins run that base line for Johnny Cash I was hooked...
I drove every one in the block absouloutly stark raving mad...by the time I was 16 I was in a rock and roll pick up group,advanced to an electric and a bunch of other instruments,and my mother still wanted me to learn music and threatened my very existance if I didn't take music lessons..I didn't read music but have excellent pitch and play by ear..
Anyway she hired a military band leader that taught music on the side and I was being tortured again with clarinet lessons..
That lasted about a year until I finaly rebelled and wouldn't take any more stupid clarinet lessons..
But I did learn to play it..
And all through high school and the first 7 years of military service was never too far from my trusty flat top guitar..
Then in a drunken stupor in a dirty bar in Northern Quebec,in September of '70 I bought a 1961 Gibson Melody Maker solid body electric and a Silvertone Amp...for $100.00 from an equally drunk drinking buddy of mine..
I still have it and pick it up every now and then and am waiting for my agent to book me in Vegas at any minute now..I also have a hand built NOrman B 55 that I installed two Hot DOt pick ups in the bridge and play it also..
Both my girls have Royal Conservatory Grade 8 piano and can read music and play about 8 10 instruments between them..

Any way,I found it interesting that you would like to learn the pedal steel..
I tryed it,but think I would like to master(?) the Dobro next..I love that sound..
Anyway,the next time you are in Ottawa,stop by..We'll jam..

As for my dancing,at the next CC gather up..CC6 ,Mike MacKinnley and I will demonstrate the Lobster Stomper's Jig .....

Old 11-02-07, 15:33

Default Re: Re: music

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
As for my dancing,at the next CC gather up..CC6 ,Mike MacKinnley and I will demonstrate the Lobster Stomper's Jig .....

THAT will have to recorded for future reference... and possible blackmailing purposes...

PS: You, a Downeaster, and you don't fiddle?? SHAME!!!!
Old 11-02-07, 15:41
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: music

Quote:
THAT will have to recorded for future reference... and possible blackmailing purposes...

PS: You, a Downeaster, and you don't fiddle?? SHAME!!!!
Jif..
Not with a musical instrument...!!!

Old 11-02-07, 16:13

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: music

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Jif..
Not with a musical instrument...!!!

Alex, now you leave my Jessie out of this...