MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 31-10-08, 11:02
former Resident Historian

Default '45 Ute

Noce one! Thnaks for the data. These were the '1945' Models available from Holden's:

45-4201B MAPLE LEAF 1670 Series

45-4201B MAPLE LEAF 1680 Series

45-4526 CHEVROLET Coupe Utility 1311 Series
Old 01-11-08, 02:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default utes

Talking of utes:

These are the two Holden body tags from my two 1940 chev utes. They are the light commercial utes on 113" w.b. , with the truck cab .

One was found down past Geelong, the other near Maryborough . The body/job numbers are very close . Both were originally painted in the factory in "port red" colour . They are both Jan. 40 production, very early .

They are very sick however, I need a good cab to begin with .
Not many of these would have been allowed to go into civilian use. Some were fitted with a GMH built all wooden tray type body and one of these has survived with a army rebuild palte on the motor, others like mine had a seperate ute tub fitted. The army used both types.

Both of my wrecks have the CFA logo on the doors ... But what were they doing before the CFA was formed in 1944 ?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
holden.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 01-11-08, 02:56
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default tag

This is the colour tag from one of the utes : it is Bright Red.

AO would be Jan 1940 I would think.

One of them was actually running , but on 4 cylinders . It appears to be a very good motor .. needs a little TLC . The second one has chronic rust in everything , the cab is totally beyond help. No evidence of army paint on them .

Early 1940 would have been when the govt. was confiscating trucks from the populace .. they forcefully 'aquired' vehicles from civilian owners.. I believe it was 39 and 40 models they grabbed .. anything earlier wasn't so attractive.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
holden-2.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-11-08, 20:40

Default Two of a kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Just to confuse the issue, I had a look at the numbers on my Chev ute.

Some are earlier than Ian McCallum's English one (saw it at Beltring and it looks a picture) and some are later.

Body plate is Number 540, Serial 4526, Month 2 This makes it a few hundred older than the other one.

Then the big ID plate says Model 5-1311-91567B (indicating Brisbane I presume)

This plate also has the Serial number which is the same as the engine number CR4058375 which makes it thousands newer than the other one???? I suspect engine numbers are a poor indicator of age as there would be thousands of engines in the store and all it would take is for the forklift driver to go to the left of the pile instead of the right to jump a few thousand numbers. I think the body number is more accurate as that would be stamped coming along the line.

There is a second large plate from GM-H which says Maximum load 1300lbs GVM 5210lbs

This is the one I am bringing to Normandy next year.
Lang,

Been off line for a short while and just seen your Chev! I will also be taking mine to Normandy next year so we must exchange 'who's staying where' info as it would be great to get them both together.

I take it from your earlier e-mail yours has the standard civilian type instrument cluster.

Would certainly appreciate seeing some further photos. Mine is missing the second GM-H load plate so would appreciate a good photo and some dimensions, unless anyone has one on a real scrapper?

Ian
Old 09-11-08, 20:59

Ian,

Our ANZAC Convoy will be staying with the MVT Poms at Utah, Falaise and Etreham.

My vehicle has the military type gauges (I think many of these coupe utes and the trucks had those up to probably 1947 regardless of whether they were military or civilian - GM had lots of stocks to get rid of!)

Lang
Old 10-11-08, 16:13

Hi Lang,

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if some of the earlier builds were still on the civilian dash layout.

re Normandy I am Secretary of the Norfolk Military Vehicle Group, also the Norfolk Area of the MVT, and will be taking some 56 members in 20 vehicles across between the 3-10 June. We will be staying on a site at Litteau, which is on the Bayeux-St Lo road, but most certainly must make sure our paths run the same at some stage.

Thats a hell of a journey to attend a rally, are the vehicles all making the return trip?

Ian
Old 10-11-08, 20:56

Ian,

I am sure we will meet up.

I put a list of our vehicles on the Anzac Convoy thread on the events section yesterday. I think about half a dozen are selling. I have not decided about mu Chev ute at this stage although I suppose everything is for sale at a price!

Photo attached taken yesterday. Just the fiddly bits to be done but the last 10% takes 90% of the time!!!

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1391.JPG  
Old 11-11-08, 02:41

Ian,

Got the Chev out this morning. First time I have driven it so gave it a run for a couple of k's (hoping no police would come by and see a vehicle with no plates). Seems pretty good and should do the job.

took some more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Chev_Norm1.jpg   Chev_Norm_Side.jpg  
Old 11-11-08, 18:20

Looking really good, nice to see one in real 'warpaint'.

Whats the story with the brackets/wooden extensions to the rear body also the roof rack? Hav'nt seen these type of adaptions on the photo's I've seen.
Also I see it appears to have a rear bumper/towing bar?

Welcome more photos as they become available, inside cab?

Let me know if you are thinking of leaving it in Europe!!

Ian
Old 12-11-08, 02:05

Ian,

The side boards/seats are a standard GM-H option. They called it a "well-side".

Some were delivered to the Army as I have a photo of one where you can see the hoops under the side canvas. Would have been pretty useful as it will seat 6-8 in the back.

The roof rack was featured in a photo of one in the desert (It was on a Canadian Chev ute with the truck cab and separate bed.) I managed to get hold of it about 5 years ago thinking it would be useful one day and Voila!

The tow bar is strictly my invention as they did not have rear bumpers. we may have to tow a trailer or broken down vehicle on the trip. it also makes a great step for two geriatrics to climb into bed each night.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 12-11-08 at 02:11.
Old 12-11-08, 21:23

Cheers Lang, that explains it all. Do I take it, if you are sleeping in the back, it will have hoops and canvas?
Old 12-11-08, 22:12

We Aussies are tough but the cook might object to being wrapped in a groundsheet in the open back in the pissing down rain - yes, it is getting bows and canvas.

Lang
Old 13-11-08, 10:22

Being tough is one thing, wet and miserable in that cold European rain is another. Practical and dry wins every time.

Will be signing off for 10 days or so as off to Canada on Sunday. Son just moved to Otttawa with the Royal Navy for 2 years.

Keep eating away at that final 10%.

Ian
Old 21-05-13, 22:59
MLU Administrator

Ian posted his 1944 Maple Leaf Australian Chevrolet Utility for sale on MilWeb.

I think it has turned out really smart!

Quote:
1944 Maple Leaf Australian Chevrolet Utility

This prize winning vehicle was built at the GM plant in Oshawa Canada as a model 1311 chassis with flat face cowl, serial number 1734. This model consisted chassis, transmission and axles, with wheels, engine, bulkhead and front sheet metal removed for ease of shipment to Commonwealth countries. Being delivered to Australia it was assembled at GM-Holden's plant in Perth Western Australia and is fitted with a Holdens one piece coupe cab and all steel utility body showing number 822 of less than 100 produced.

Affectionately known as the Ute, with official military designation of Chevrolet 15 cwt. General Service van, this vehicle has undergone a full chassis up restoration to the highest standard and original specification. It retains its original rebuilt engine and transmission with brakes and suspension totally replaced, full stainless steel exhaust system, and retro tread radial tyres. The interior has been fully retrimmed with original hide specification bench seat and finished overall in unmarked Forest Green being the home service colour of late 1944.

Matilda is finished in the markings of 9th.(Western Australian) Division, 2/7 Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery and will cruise comfortably at 45-50 mph while returning more than 20 mpg.

A totally unique opportunity to own a rare and practical vehicle in drive away show condition which will include a quantity of spares. If interested please contact the seller for more information.

Ian McCallum: 01502 711785

Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	57429 Click image for larger version

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	57430
Old 22-05-13, 05:28

Default A Chev modified conventional of 1944 ??

Hanno,

It is a nice looking and well finished vehicle, but with due respect to the efforts of the restorer, I have to question the claims made in the advert, and hope prospective buyers do their own investigations into the authenticity of this vehicle.

At a glance, there are a number of problems with the vehicle and the claims made for it, particularly the finish and markings:

'Forest green being the home service colour of 1944' is not correct for an Australian vehicle, and neither is a gloss finish for the purported period (1944). The Australian Army did not commence to finish vehicles in Deep Bronze Green gloss finish until 1945, and then only for rear areas and where a vehicle actually needed to be repainted.'Forest Green' has never, to my knowledge, been an Australian Military colour.

The Army registration number '78342' was not issued until 1952, being part of a block of numbers unused until that date, and was never issued to a wartime Chevrolet ute. It was issued to an International 3/4 ton CL cargo vehicle, 4x2, of 1952 manufacture, which was written off by Tasmania Central Ordnance Depot in 1959.

The Formation marking is indeed the 9th Australian Infantry Division, which was initially raised in the Middle East from a nucleus of AIF troops from the UK. I've never seen the 9th referred to as the 'Western Australian' division, nor any of the other 4 AIF Divisions raised during the Second World War (6th, 7th, 8th and 1st Armd). By 1944, 9th Aust Inf Div was equipped as a Jungle Division, with everything that entails for transport and equipment.

The Unit sign is that of the 2/7th Australian Field Artillery Regiment, the design of the sign dating from mid-1944 (unit designation as the numerator over unit type as the denominator). By that stage, the Unit was equipped with Trucks, 1/4 ton and trailers, Tractors Artillery - both full tracked and Tractors, Artillery Aust No.8 & 9, and for logistics support, Trucks, 2 1/2 ton GMC. The unit was not equipped with modified conventional 4x2 utilities, nor had it been since converting to Jungle War Equipment Tables (WET(J)) around the beginning of 1943. Indeed, even in the latter stages of service in the Middle East, the unit had been re-equipped with CMP tractors and support vehicles, and had returned their earlier Modified Conventional vehicles to Ordnance Vehicle Parks.

By 1944 when it is purported that this vehicle was taken on charge by the Australian Army, the Army were disposing of 4x2 vehicles, having in stock more modified conventional vehicles than they wanted or needed. Many languished in Ordnance Vehicle Parks, unissued. The Army's shortage was in tactical all wheel drive trucks of all sizes, and that was what was being purchased - not modified conventional 15 cwt Chev utes (correctly and officially, 'Van, 15 cwt, GS, (Aust)').

In fact, the 1944 Army vehicle list shows only three production years of 15cwt Chevrolets in service: the Model 13/39 (1939), 13/40 (1940) and 13/41 (1941), any other Chevrolet models in that size class having been declared obsolete. The '13' of course indicates a Canadian manufactured vehicle of 115 inch wheel base.

I think I may have seen this ute featured in CMV magazine, and wondered at the claims made for it then.

Mike C
Old 22-05-13, 09:39
V.M.V.C Member

Default Ute for sale

Another for sale,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belai...ute/1019143411

no connection.
Attached Thumbnails
3119fmg_20.jpg  
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 22-05-13, 11:26

Default Oops, 1944 ute info

Apologies, bit more info on my ute. This vehicle was found on a farm near Kukerin, Dumbleyung, Western Australia in 1994, still painted military green. The farm owner had inherited it as a derelict wreck when he purchased the farm some 20 years previous and was quite happy to sell the vehicle when approached and was eventually restored in a post-war civilian finish by Peter Meulenbroek of Katanning, Western Australia, prior to being purchased by myself in late 2006 and shipped to the UK.

During the restoration Peter determined to chrome the grill and bumper plus grill/hood embelishments. As such a good job had been done it was determined to leave some of the 'brightwork, hence home service colour of '45. As the ute had probably never left WA I determined to use the 2/7 Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery markings as it was a local Western Australia unit, disbanded I believe in 1946, and part of 9th. Div. Hood number is fictitious as I could find no info other than utes in service as shown in the photos.

Ian
Attached Images

Old 22-05-13, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
'Forest green being the home service colour of 1944' is not correct for an Australian vehicle, and neither is a gloss finish for the purported period (1944). The Australian Army did not commence to finish vehicles in Deep Bronze Green gloss finish until 1945, and then only for rear areas and where a vehicle actually needed to be repainted.'Forest Green' has never, to my knowledge, been an Australian Military colour.
I'm interested in the dark green color Mike. The 39 Ford 1 ton ute I am restoring had several layers of various green and red paint on it but the original factory color was the dark green. I wondered about re sprays but under the firewall insulation was the best example of original paint and it surprised me that it was a dark green and actually looked like it had possibly been a gloss finish. I wondered what the civvy factory colors were coming off the Ford assembly line at the time. It is a roadster cab so not an impressed vehicle.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 24-05-13 at 17:56. Reason: please don't quote entire posting
Old 22-05-13, 16:55

Jack,

The dark green you refer to was the 'pre-mobilisation' colour. It was a dark gloss/satin green, and deliveries to the AMF in 39 and 40 were in this colour. It was not Forest Green, but a dark green akin to the post-WW2 Deep Bronze Green gloss. Hence, it is entirely probably that your 1939 roadster was originally painted in this colour and with the pre-mobilization type of unit markings on the doors.

2/7Fd Regt was formed from recruits from both Western Australia (14 Bty) and South Australia (13 Bty and RHQ), the majority being South Australians.

Mike C

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 22-05-13 at 17:08.
Old 23-05-13, 11:01

Thanks Mike. I haven't touched the doors as yet so I can rub back and look for markings. What could I expect to find?
Old 24-05-13, 05:07

Typical would be the vehicle Defence Dept type and number (like V25 etc), and a unit patch and abbreviated unit name like '12 Fd Regt' or similar.

What is the chassis number? There were so few Battery Staff Utes from 1939, there is a chance I may have made a note of it against its Commonwealth registration number. You might be lucky!

Mike C
Old 22-12-21, 21:59

Ian's Ute is up for sale again on car and Classic

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1410001

Always loved these utes .
Does anyone have any info on military contracts?
I have seen pictures of these used in North Africa, were these purchase by the British, or were they all Australian contracts ?
Old 22-12-21, 22:36
MLU Administrator

Default 1944 Rare Chevrolet Holden Ute For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Sayer View Post
Ian's Ute is up for sale again on car and Classic

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1410001
What ho! I see it is located in the Hague, close to where I live - didn't know that. Note it has had an engine overhaul.

Quote:
Price £37,500 Or near offer
Ad Type For Sale
Category Classic Cars
Make Chevrolet
Holden Ute
Year 1944
Mileage 500 Kilometers
Country Netherlands
Town Den Haag
Telephone +31 6 15554203
Status Private
14-Dec-2021
Ref C1410001
Background and History - Chevrolet Holden Ute

This Maple Leaf Chevrolet 15cwt Ute has led an interesting life. It was built at the General Motors car plant in Oshawa, Canada, as a model 1311 – ½-ton light commercial vehicle – serial number 1734. It was produced as a flat-bonnet chassis complete with axles and transmission.

The original 216, straight-six 3540cc OHV engine, rated at 236hp at 3300 rpm, was individually crated with the wheels and hood removed for easy shipment. This Chevrolet was sent to the GM Holden factory in Perth, Western Australia, where it was sent to another plant.

Here it was reassembled and fitted with a one-piece body (replacing the original bulkhead panel) built at Holden's Woodville factory in Adelaide, South Australia. It is believed less than 1000 were produced between 1942 and 1945 and my Ute still has the original brass data plate mounted in the engine compartment stating it was number 822. The rare military dash also survived intact, which is extremely rare. Although the vehicle is popularly referred to as a Ute, the Official Australian Army labels it as a 15cwt GS (General Service) van.

The original spec includes a three-speed manual 'crash' (non-syncro) gearbox with a reverse gear, hydraulic drum brakes all round, a six-volt electrical system and a 16-gallon fuel tank, good for a range of approximately 360km/ 224 miles.

The electrics were updated to a 12volt system in 2021, but I still have the original 6volt army generator and the 6volt starter motor is still in use. Unfortunately there is no information on the actual track record of the Ute and the earliest known history is that it was discovered on a sheep farm near Kukerin, Dumbleyung, Western Australia, in 1994, still with its military green lacquer, heavily patinated and a little rough around the edges - see photo.

The ute was restored in 2001 in a civilian guise, complete with cream paint and shiny chrome hubcaps and front bumper, which actually complemented that beautiful 'Waterfall' grille - see photo. When the Ute arrived in the UK in 2006 it was an excellent example indeed, but it was decided the cream paintwork should go, but it would be almost sacrilege to paint over the extremely well preserved grille and bumper.

Being of the late war, the previous owners decided to return Matilda, as it was affectionately known, to a brilliant glossy forest green from 1945/ 1946. The Ute's Military Markings are fictitious and did not exist in 1944. The Ute also comes with a variety of original military items from 1944; Jerry cans, tools, hand pumps etc
Work completed by Kona Classic - The Hague from December 2020 to August 2021:

Full rebuild of original 216 engine - matching numbers engine
New 12 volt generator and 12 volt lamps
New electric start
New electric fuse box
New electric fuel pump primer
New Old Stock Indicator - late 1940s
New Old Stock Trico Fan with original tags
New White Wall Tyres
Plenty of spare parts

This is a very rare vehicle produced by Chevrolet & Holden Australia and I could safely say, probably the only one in Europe, so please no silly bids/ offers. Do your research... If you're serious, I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1944-chevrolet-holden-ute-61b8f4166d514.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	126672 Click image for larger version

Name:	1944-chevrolet-holden-ute-61b8f4166ca41.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	126673 Click image for larger version

Name:	1944-chevrolet-holden-ute-61b8f4166e8d4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	126674 Click image for larger version

Name:	1944-chevrolet-holden-ute-61b8f4166f27f.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	126675
Old 23-12-21, 04:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
What ho! I Note it has had an engine overhaul.

Quote: "The original 216, straight-six 3540cc OHV engine, rated at 236hp at 3300 rpm..."
I wonder if they have managed to restore the original engine's performance?

Anyway, for those with a more modest budget: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27379402...frcectupt=true

Last edited by Tony Smith; 23-12-21 at 04:29.
Old 30-12-21, 13:48
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

One for sale on Facebook Marketplace:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...78777344%22%7D

Civillian style instrument cluster.
Attached Thumbnails
Chev 15cwt1.jpg   Chev 15cwt2.jpg   Chev 15cwt3.jpg