MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 24-01-07, 05:09
David Gordon

Default More T16 Parts Fabrication

Plans are in the works for having the left and right tool bins fabricated that go over the two fuel tanks in Ford T-16 Universal Carriers. I'll post photos later of the example we are using for a pattern to make things clear but until then, these would be located in the rear of the carrier on either side of the engine compartment and they each have a seat frame and cushion on top.

Same sheet metal company that made the last run of large and small engine covers will be doing them for us. No prices yet but we are trying to get a rough idea of how many people would be interested in a pair since they seem to be missing from most vehicles.

Like anything custom fabricated, the unit cost goes down with increased quantity. Sound off if interested and we can get some price quotes figured out.
Old 25-01-07, 19:24
David Gordon

Image below shows the two bins that we are going to have made. They are marked with dark arrows in each part of the shot so you can see where they are located over the fuel tanks and beneath the crew seat cushions.

Old 07-02-07, 03:49
David Gordon

We've heard from quite a few people that have expressed an interest in getting a pair of these bins made up for their T16. After the sheet metal company looked over the originals being used for the patterns, they say that there will be no problems fabricating each left and right bin including the internal details like the signal flare cartridge holders and compartment dividers.

We will target completion to allow for people attending Brent Mullin's annual vehicle rally and open house (Texas) to be able to pick them up direct and thus save on shipping. Alternate pick up locations and off course shipping are also options once the bins are complete.

If you haven't posted me an eMail or PM and are interested in this one shot production when we do it, please do so quickly as it will be hard to change the order once placed.

Next project after this one will be the bin that the battery sits on which is under the radio area behind the driver in the engine area. Also the similar bin with a different lid which is across on the other side behind the gunner.
Old 07-05-07, 04:30
David Gordon

Got side-tracked with other projects while we were waiting to see how many people might still be interested in a pair of the lockers that go over the fuel tanks.

Production has begun on left and right lockers with the one on the driver side having the built in divider and rack for the signal flares. The one on the driver side has no internal features (per original design) other than the raised rim around the hole that the fuel tank filler neck goes through which is being built into both lockers. Tops will have the internal x-crimp and mounting sockets for the seat frame.

Photos below show the type of x-crimp in reverse as it appears on the large locker that goes on the outside of the T-16. This was an earlier project we were looking for interested parties to go in with us on. Only three takers on that one and they are all done now and in the hands of the happy owners. Friggin lockers were 48 pounds each which was a bitch to ship so glad that is over now.

If anyone is wanting a pair of the lockers that go over the fuel tanks, please shoot me a PM ASAP as like other projects, we won't be having any others made once we have gotten what we need for our own vehicles. Not a business, just someone doing a restoration and the more takers on a project, the lower the cost for everyone that joins in.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel
Old 05-06-07, 17:58
David Gordon

Attached images of the final product. These shots show the bin that goes on the driver side of the T-16. It has the raised fuel tank filler neck hole as well as a divider and rack for signal cartridges. The bin that goes on the gunner side only has the raised fuel tank filler neck hole as per the original vehicle specifications. The four lugs on the lid are where the seat bottom bolts to and they are on both bins.

Next project will be the bin that goes behind the driver area where the battery is located and the slightly different bin which goes behind the gunner. Each has channels at the edges of the bottom for the steering and brake control rods to pass through.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
Old 06-06-07, 03:33

Looking at the box you indicate goes on the rear kind of twigged something in my old brain. I just went out to the barn to refresh my memory on a box and I took these photos. It looks like your box without the X pattern. Could it be for a T16? It has a couple of add on hasps but the latches look the same. I can drag it out and take better photos if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
t-16 box_1.jpg  

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 06-06-07, 03:37

Another view
Attached Thumbnails
t-16 box 2_2.jpg  

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 06-06-07, 03:57
David Gordon

Yep, that is the same large bin for the rear of the T-16. Someone replaced your center hasp on each lid but everything else looks the same. The x-crimp is still also on your bin's back panel but looks more subdued than the new ones probably due to the paint compared to the bare shiny metal.

Any other mystery bins in your yard or garage? Might save me having to make something in the future if you don't need it

Just re-read the text painted on your bin and it is the opposite as painted on the canvas roof used on my airborne jeep. Mine is "left hand drive no signal" as it is a USA pattern vehicle intended for use in the UK. Being the T-16 is right hand drive which would be proper for the UK, it would seem your bin was painted up for a warning in either the USA where the carrier was made or for a USA sector of Europe during or after the war. Interesting...
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
Old 06-06-07, 04:02
David Gordon

Yep, that is the same large bin for the rear of the T-16. Someone replaced your center hasp on each lid but everything else looks the same. The x-crimp is still also on your bin's back panel but looks more subdued than the new ones probably due to the paint compared to the bare shiny metal.

Any other mystery bins in your yard or garage? Might save me having to make something in the future if you don't need it
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle