MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 31-12-21, 20:18

Default CMP Chassis numbers - Ford Australia

I've started this thread with reference to the thread on the F60 tipper, as the subject matter was getting mixed in with the tipper discussion, but is an investigation on its own.

Jacques Reed mentioned that 'The photo I posted of the number stamped on the gearbox is on my F-15A. It corresponds with ARN 55166 and had an Australian cab and diamond plate floor so I assume it was Australian assembled. I've had three chassis and none were stamped. All had Australian cabs. Another collector believes not all chassis were stamped.'

I'd like to explore why that might be the case, ie that not all Aust assembled Ford CMPs did not have the engine/transmission number stamped onto the chassis. Are the chassis that are not so stamped, all early arrivals from Canada, or are these scattered amongst deliveries over the years 42-44? With input from people who own or have experience with CMPs in Aust, we might be able to pin that down.

Ford Australia, in April 1942, stated that 'the engine number is stamped on the front left top face of the cylinder block and/or on the flywheel housing ... the engine number, at the time of assembling the chassis, is stamped on the top side of the chassis frame longitudinal side member in the engine compartment.' The engine/transmission combination letters for 3 3/16 bore 95 HP engines were 'D' for an engine coupled to a 3 speed gearbox, and 'G' for engines coupled to a 4 speed lorry gearbox. All the CMPs had the four speed, hence the 'G' in the number.

We know that the early CMP imports of 15 cwt vehicles were individual CKD, ie complete vehicles with Cdn cabs and bodies. As I understand it, once the two companies got into complete cab (Chev) and partial cab (Ford) production, subsequent orders were placed which changed the requirement to 'Chassis less cab and wheels' or whatever was needed, as stated in 1943 orders. These later orders came in five packs - five chassis packed together, five engines, etc, for the parts needed to assemble five chassis.

I've owned a few 4x2 CMPs: the first was 55401 which was a fully imported Canadian vehicle. It did not have the engine/trans number stamped on the chassis. The other two were both much later vehicles with Australian manufactured cabs, and did have the engine/trans number stamped onto the chassis. One was ARN 131545, can't remember the other one. So what of the period between those? Were these individual CKD, without cabs and bodies, so the engine was already with/mated to the chassis?

I'd be very interested to hear from other 15 cwt CMP owners in Australia who have matched their vehicle to a particular ARN, and if the engine/trans number was stamped on the chassis rail. Hopefully, a pattern will emerge if we can get that data, and we may be able to come to a reasonable conclusion as to why some do and some don't have the chassis rail stamping.

Long winded, I know, but I think it needed a full explanation of what is asked for and why.

Mike
Old 06-01-22, 23:23
VMVC

Default Ford 15 CWT Australia- Chassis number stampings

Hi Mike,

To get the ball rolling I have matched (with the kind help from you) F15-A. ARN 55166. This is an unstamped chassis.

Unfortunately another unstamped F15-A chassis I have at present had a transmission swap and the ARN from the transmission was not for an F-15A. Based on the towing pintle brackets arrangement all I can narrow it down to was most likely pre 1944. It also has some casting numbers inside the right front diff housing, date: 4-42 17. Of course, diffs do get replaced!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed