WS19 NOS unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTG...ature=youtu.be

Alex
Old 28-03-20, 22:13

Good job Colin !
Attached Thumbnails
9580AEA9-5AFA-42ED-B2AE-D5D225C4DAF7.jpeg  
Old 01-04-20, 20:42

Were further videos produced that opened up the other packages in both boxes? I personally would be interested in seeing the accessories just as much as the unveiling of the main Transmitter/Receiver!
Does anyone know how the Museum acquired this fully crated WS19 Sherman Installation kit? I had heard of one about two years ago west of Toronto but could never locate the owner.
Old 07-04-20, 00:20

The eBay site in the States seems to average a complete in the crates Mk II 19-Set and/or Installation Kit being auctioned off or quietly being parted out each year for a while now. There must have been a pile of them found somewhere at some point.

David
Old 07-04-20, 22:08

Hi David,
I wish I shared your experience, I have checked eBay almost daily (the U.S. site) for the past 3-4 years and have never come across an auction posting a complete 19 set or installation kit in its crate, nor an auction with multiple components from a kit. Very rarely do you find NOS parts on eBay, and when they do they usually stand out! Perhaps I am searching under the wrong terms, as I would certainly have bid on any kits as the novelty alone would make it a fascinating purchase. Instead, I've picked up all my pieces for my Sherman tank project from locations in the States, England, and here in Ontario.
I am still hopeful that one day an installation kit for a Sherman tank will appear at auction which would include the thin metal straps that were used to hold the cables against the turret interior. These were all left in the tanks when they were mothballed so they are super hard to find. I have a few that appear to have come from armoured vehicles, but they are the wrong shape according to my references. I have the complete mounting straps and nuts/bolts for a Bren carrier (three pouch set, all C-Broad arrow marked) but they are not the same shape as for the Sherman, thus are surplus to my needs. Anyone need a set for a Bren?
Installation straps are the last items I need for my Sherman tank project, where I will have on display within a replica turret (rear 1/3) all the workings of a truly operational WS19 set complete with all control wiring and control boxes, including an original NOS turret wiring box and a complete Sherman mounting kit for the Variometer! Almost everything is in mint or near mint condition which makes it extra special.
Old 08-04-20, 01:56

Hi Patrick.

With the exception of one installation for what I recall was some model of Sherman that was advertised as such, the other show up by analysis and in some instances emailing sellers to ask key questions.

I peaked about two years ago with 14 different searches on eBay for 19-Set stuff. It never used to be like that but I suspect eBay seriously dumbed down their search engine to provide more product hits for their growing eBay Store Merchants. At one time you used to be able to employ very precise searches and get exactly what you were looking for. Those days are gone, so I went with a shotgun approach to searches. You end up with a lot of emails in your in box and a number of duplicate or more results, but you also find bits you would otherwise miss completely.

I look for frequent items from the same seller and that is when I start to suspect what they are doing. A mint transceiver shows up. Then a psu, then other bits that could only be coming from a kit. You can then contact them and ask if they have ever run across something obscure that should be in the kit, like the bags of hardware, packing slips, content lists, or the shipping boxes or crates. These are things many sellers do not recognize the value/importance of and toss outright or set aside and do not advertise. You nearly always get answers that confirm what is going on. The other consideration is many sellers do not want to deal with very heavy items to ship. They would rather part a kit out into smaller, manageable bits and perhaps increase. Their profits.

I have recently cut back my 19-Set searches. I think I just have four left. I have now found nearly all of what I had been looking for, but have also become suspicious eBay Searches can be easily hacked when you are active on their site. I am finding more and more results showing up for searches that have nothing even close in common to what I am looking for, and the sellers being listed are nearly always in Eastern European countries. Bulgaria is the worst. I stepped completely away from searching for military pocket watches as I was getting dozens and dozens of results for genuine WW2 German Nazi pocket watches that were so fake it was absolutely laughable and all from ‘different’ sellers in Bulgaria.

Anyway, Patrick, I think I have totally highjacked this thread now. I guess my key comment is you really need to be a detective these days to figure out what sometimes goes on on eBay.

Cheers for now,

David
Old 08-04-20, 18:20

I forgot to mention, Patrick, if I recall correctly, the last Sherman Installation Kit flogged as such on eBay was about 2 years back out of Wisconsin somewhere.

David
Old 10-04-20, 00:28
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I am still hopeful that one day an installation kit for a Sherman tank will appear at auction which would include the thin metal straps that were used to hold the cables against the turret interior.

Installation straps are the last items I need for my Sherman tank project, where I will have on display within a replica turret (rear 1/3) all the workings of a truly operational WS19 set complete with all control wiring and control boxes, including an original NOS turret wiring box and a complete Sherman mounting kit for the Variometer! Almost everything is in mint or near mint condition which makes it extra special.
Bear in mind that there are at least two, and possibly three different sizes of the cable clip set that you are looking for - to cope with the variations in cabling (screened conduit - UK and Canada, fabric coated (UK and possibly Canada) and plastic coated multicore (U.S.). It's possible that the Sherman only ever used the screened conduit type wiring, but I have a T26E1 (Pershing) installation kit with plastic-coated multicore that is a fraction of the diameter of the flexible conduit variety.

(I also have some loose cable clips from various countries/sources for the WS19, so if you let me know which variety of cabling you have I might be able to find some suitable (original) clips.)

Chris.
Old 10-04-20, 05:36

Hi Chris,
I really appreciate your response and willingness to help out! The cables clamps I'm looking for are the screened conduit which I tend to call 'armoured cables'. Although I don't have one of these screened cables currently in my house to check the thickness they are likely somewhere around 3/4-1" in diameter. The reason I mention this dimension is that the Sherman wiring kit is rather unique in that there are a number of smaller diameter screened conduit (5/8" is my guess) used to connect the Control Boxes in the turret. There is a picture up on MLU of my 19 set with Sherman wiring and I'll try to upload it again to show you the difference in sizes. From memory I need at least one cable clip that could hold in place two 1" cables side by side, and another that would hold the large and small one side by side. The best reference I can give is in the EMERS manual on Page 160 showing a variety of cable clamp configurations. I believe clamps #17 and #19 would ideally suit my purposes but #12 may also work. I don't know what my exact requirements are at the moment, give me a week or two and I might be able to give you a better understanding of numbers. Even one or two bring me that much closer to complete authenticity so every contribution is appreciated.
As an aside I would like to take the time to thank you for providing some truly great insights into the WS19 set, your knowledge base is impressive and I always look forward to reading your informed comments on MLU. I will be in touch shortly.
Regards,
Patrick
Old 10-04-20, 17:43

Hi Chris,
Here are the pics of my 19 set with the complete control wiring for a Sherman tank. I was fortunate to pick up near mint Control boxes and the associated cables from an eBay seller in Nevada, the sets were perfect with the exception of the rubber which was, to be expected, very brittle. It's not the best photograph but gives a good impression of the cables required. I've also included two drawings which will be familiar to all, which indicate the cables as 12-point and 4-point. From these two diagrams you can picture the ridiculous number of cable clamps required but frankly this seems to be a bit overblown, I can't imagine that many being required given the relatively short distances the cables had to go. I have a number of Sherman tank interior shots which back up my hunch. These drawings are also helpful because they identify the need for single 12-point cable clamps similar to Clamps #11 and #14 on Page 160 of EMERS.
Looking forward to your comments and findings!
Regards, Patrick

PS. I recently picked up a mint U.S. Signal Corps Mk.II so will likely opt to incorporate this unit into my display, rather than the Mk.III pictured in my photograph. It would appear that these Mk.II sets were being installed in the 76mm Shermans used by the British, according to the YouTube video which started this thread, so I think I can feel comfortable using a US supplied set for my Canadian Sherman M4A4 project.
Attached Thumbnails
WS 19 in my collection.JPG   WS 19 in Sherman tank copy.JPG   WS 19 set M4 Sherman set up.jpg  

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 10-04-20 at 17:52. Reason: Correction from 6-point to 4-point
Old 11-04-20, 00:23
Junior Password Gnome

Hi Patrick,

Yes, the Lend-Lease sets were all Mark II from beginning to end, though the really late production used Eicor supply units and the sets were modified for the 12pt-6pt dogbone. (My "intended for Pershing" unit is one of those sets.)

Somewhere I have the M4 "installation kit list" and layout drawings, but I suspect the "kit list" will only go down as far as "Hardware set #n" rather than a useful list of clip types and all the nut and bolt sizes.

I need to sort through the banana crate mountain (still not unpacked, three years after the forced house move), and finally catalog what's in each box - and chuck out things I will never ever use again.

Best regards, and Stay Safe,

Chris.
Old 11-04-20, 16:26
Junior Password Gnome

This is the problem with kit being made in three countries, each of which has their own part numbering scheme!

I found the wallet containing the installation documents for M4 Medium Tank 76mm and it's American. That said, the Installation Kit Register does go down to nut and bolt level...

1 Clips, Cable Fixing, Sets No. 302 PC/USA59442 ZA/USA0442
15 Detail 1 ----------------------- PC/USA59425 ZA/USA0425
05 Detail 2 ----------------------- PC/USA59426 ZA/USA0426
15 Detail 3 ----------------------- PC/USA59427 ZA/USA0427

I also found 10 x ZA15154 and 8 x ZA15153 cable clips.

I can't find any cross-reference at present, but ZA15154 is for a single braided cable about 0.75 to 1-in diameter and ZA15153 is for about 0.5-in cables (so may be for the cable between the rotary base junction and J.D.3 or possibly the Leads, Aerial (A set to variometer or B set to aerial base), but it seems a bit small diameter for that purpose).

Somewhere I have some boxed American clips (one size only, which will most likely be "wrong" of course) which may give me a clue as to the numbering systems.

Best regards,
Chris.

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 11-04-20 at 16:29. Reason: Tab damage