MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-11, 19:42

Default Another CMP Found - Restored

Got a call today from a family who has a CMP apparently a modified HUP series back fitted with a flat bed, what is kind of neat about this one is the family literally flagged me down on the highway about a year ago when I was in a convoy with a lot of other MVs from our local club. I stopped but there was no place for the convoy to pull over and I had to catch up with the convoy before they got out of radio range because I didn’t know where we were going.

So our conversation had to be short, anyway the lady of family said they had a truck just like mine that had been in there family for years I explained, I'd love to talk but I had to catch the up with the others but I dug one of my CMP business cards out and gave it to them and said give me a call or send and e-mail they said they would. When I didn’t hear from them last summer I figured the card had been lost or they thought I was being rude to say I had to go.

Well this morning I get a call out of the blue from the lady who I’d spoke with, to follow-up we had a nice chat, it turns out the truck nickname OLD RED has been in their family for years being a farm truck in Northern New Hampshire. The family is a large one 13 children I think she said and OLD RED was the only vehicle the family had that could haul all of them at the same time. She mentioned that there are family stories about all of them going to church in it.

The family farm was a dairy farm located up a typical steep dirt road. Well a number of years ago the dairy business came on hard times and the family had to get out of the business, OLD RED started moving from family member to family member and finally was sold out of the family. Well a few years ago the brothers and sisters in the family thought it would be fun to track it down. Well it had changed hands a number of times by then but with the help of a local newspaper they track it down bought it for $500 and did a quickie get it running and painted as a present for their parents. Well the truck is once again part of their family.

Side point of interest the dairy of some 500 acres which had been sold probably 20 years ago has now been pretty much reassembled by various members of the buying up 400 acres of the land. They are now running a Christmas Tree Farm on it.

I think the smile on the next generation says if he has his way the truck will stay in the family.

PS the owner gave her permission to share the photos and I told her they would probably be seen around the world today.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2007 to mid 2008 131.jpg   May 2007 to mid 2008 222.jpg   May 2007 to mid 2008 234.jpg  
Attached Images

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-05-11, 21:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Excellent

What a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us Phil.

I hope at least some of the interrested family members become part of our extended CMP family through this contact.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-05-11, 13:00

Default Fantastic

Only just read this Phil...

Great story with lots of good warm vibes - hope the truck brings the next generation lots of memories as well......