MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-07-03, 17:45
RIP

Default Re: Re: Smokey Smith's Victoria Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Hi Garry, was this "defending the bridge" thing the action that earned Smokey the VC???
Yes it was.Took out two tanks as they tried to cross the bridge.I'll dig out the book by Arthur Bishop,"Courage on the Battlefield "& quote the action for you on another post.Too busy right now.On holiday.
Old 01-08-03, 02:35
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Smokey Smith's Victoria Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Yes it was.Took out two tanks as they tried to cross the bridge.I'll dig out the book by Arthur Bishop,"Courage on the Battlefield "& quote the action for you on another post.Too busy right now.On holiday.

Thanks a lot for your reply Garry...

HOLIDAY... well.. I hope you'reenjoying yourself and that you aren't sweltering like we are here..still doingg 40 +/-...and we're all back in the apt building and sucking back left-over fumes and smell from the apt that was totalled on the 3rd floor Tues nite...andsuckingback "hazey" air (haze from the many forest fires in BC/Alberta and States. There is a total ban on camp-fires of course and we've been on water restrictions for more than3 weeks.

Ah...the joys of high summer and people buying old used air conditioners and putting everyone else in a full apt building at risk... especially eldery frail people (the first time she used it and the curtains went up in flames right after turning it on ..thatsthe first fire in here EVER... the building was built in the 1920's

aaaaaargh
Old 01-08-03, 22:42
RIP

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Victoria Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
In Dominion Square here in Montreal,adjacent to our War Memorial,& just in front of John A.McDonald's statue are two captured cannons which were presented to the city by the regiment of our first Canadian born recipient of the Victoria Cross(in the Crimea,will post later),having done Garrison duty here before embarking to the Crimea.Sooo,if they ever need more metal for making the cross,there are two guns here on exhibit available for the task
The two Russian guns in Dominion Square in Montreal were presented by Queen Victoria following the Crimean War.Regiments were coming back from the war to resume garrison duty they left from to go to the Crimea.On Saturday,June 28,1856,the 39th Regiment arrived in Montreal from it's Crimean Service.Voila!!Two guns to melt down for Canadian Victoria Crosses.
Alexander Roberts Dunn-Toronto born & son of Upper Canada's Receiver General."Charge of the Light Brigade Hero won Canada"s first VC & became the Youngest Colenel in the British Army".Buried in Senafe Ethiopia where his remains still rest to this day.As an aside,The Airborn Regiment,while there on UN Duty found his decrepid grave,restored the marker & surrounding fence,to it's previous glory.Died when both barrels of his hunting shotgun discharged during a hunting foray on June 25,1868
Old 02-08-03, 00:37
Vets_Dottir

Default Melt-Down?

..."Two guns to melt down for Canadian Victoria Crosses."...

I don't understand the couple of comments about "melting down the guns for the VC's"...???
Old 02-08-03, 01:11
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Melt-Down?

Quote:
..."Two guns to melt down for Canadian Victoria Crosses."...

I don't understand the couple of comments about "melting down the guns for the VC's"...???
Carman:

The guns after the Crimean War of 1854 were melted down and the metallic contents were used to fashion the VC, authorized by herself.

The quoted reference implies that, if Canada should ever issue the VC, perhaps these two guns could be used.

Perhaps a bit tongue in cheek?

Regards...BTW, I think I've run out of ways to mangle your name. No further bi-products herewith.
Old 02-08-03, 01:20
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Melt-Down?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Carman:

The guns after the Crimean War of 1854 were melted down and the metallic contents were used to fashion the VC, authorized by herself.

The quoted reference implies that, if Canada should ever issue the VC, perhaps these two guns could be used.

Perhaps a bit tongue in cheek?

Regards...BTW, I think I've run out of ways to mangle your name. No further bi-products herewith.

Thanks Jon... I thought the comment was some sort of "inside joke"

As for running out of names for me... I sorta like one I've heard thru-out me life...

"Charmin' Carman"
Old 02-08-03, 01:47
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Melt-Down?

Quote:
"Charmin' Carman"

Now hold on a minute, that may be going a little too far....
Old 02-08-03, 03:04
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Melt-Down?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Now hold on a minute, that may be going a little too far....
and YOU....Mr. GW-B ... wanna fat lip????????
Old 02-08-03, 09:03
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default there she goes again

runs outa yap and resorts to threats of violence..........

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 02-08-03, 10:19
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: there she goes again

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox

runs outa yap and resorts to threats of violence..........
Ah well... this chronic plus 40 weather can turn even my yap off... besides... actions speak louder than words...THUMP!