MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-11-04, 18:41
Sasha Yusufali

Default Johnny Lombardi

I am a researcher working for The Canadian Encyclopedia, supported by the Historica Foundation. I am currently working on a project involving famed Toronto personality and founder of the CHIN radio station, Johnny Lombardi. I am seeking to find out which unit and regiment he belonged to during his WWII service and what his function was and would appreciate the assistance of the readers of this forum.

The information I have, based on research I have done to date, is as follows:

Name: John Barba-Linardo Lombardi or Johnny Lombardi
Born: Toronto Ontario on 01 Jan 1915
Died: Toronto, Ontario on 18 Mar 2002
Begin of Service: 1942
End of Service: 1946
Served in: Normandy, France; Belgium; Germany; Holland Honours: Battle of Britain, France and Germany Stars, Defense Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, and War Medal 1939-45

Concurrent to this effort, I have also sent a request to the National Archives of Canada, but hope that this forum may yield a quicker answer. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Sasha Yusufali
Old 19-11-04, 18:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Sasha,

Unless someone here has specific info, you'll have to go through Mr. Lombardi's family. The National Archives' ability to release service data is restricted by the Privacy Act in the case of a serviceman dead for less than 20 years; his immediate family are the only ones with direct access to his service records, and even then only with proof-of-death and proof-of-relationship. Those service records are what you need however... they document every stage of the gentleman's service from enlistment through to demobbing.

Let us know how you make out! I had no idea he had seen active service overseas.