MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 08-09-10, 16:21

Default Canadian units near Norfolk/Suffolk in UK fall 1943

I am trying to narrow down canadian units camped near the Norfolk/Suffolk county border in the fall of 1943. More specifically, units that left the area in the first days of December 1943.

I have read the report No. 104, and have narrowed down two possibilities:
4 Cdn Armed Bde at Lyndford Hall, Mundford and 4 Cdn Armed Div, at Cockley Cley, Swaffham

Can someone point me to somewhere I can find out which specific groups/regiments made up these two at that specific time? I'm having a hard time following all of the changes and amalgamations.

Thanks,
Val
Old 09-09-10, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valbart View Post
I am trying to narrow down canadian units camped near the Norfolk/Suffolk county border in the fall of 1943. More specifically, units that left the area in the first days of December 1943.

I have read the report No. 104, and have narrowed down two possibilities:
4 Cdn Armed Bde at Lyndford Hall, Mundford and 4 Cdn Armed Div, at Cockley Cley, Swaffham

Can someone point me to somewhere I can find out which specific groups/regiments made up these two at that specific time? I'm having a hard time following all of the changes and amalgamations.

Thanks,
Val
Val
Jean Bouchery's book, The Canadian Soldier, from Dday to VE Day is the reference point in answering your question.
4th Canadian Armoured Brigade was comprised of The Governor General's Foot Guards,
The Canadian Grenadier Guards, The British Colombia Regiment, and the Lake Superior Regiment. The 4th Brigade was but one part of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division.

Hope this answers your query

Randall