MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-05-10, 04:11

Default New Project in Aus markings question

Hi all,

In the last few weeks the green disease has well and truly embedded itself in the psyche my father and myself. Not only have we been working on an extension to the shed so the blitz can "live" in comfort, but we've acquired a 1943 jeep (gpw) to keep it company (probably to the blitz's disgust, even though it is a ford). I'll eventually get around to setting up an account over on the g503 forum, but I'd thought I'd post a few photos here as well in case some of my fellow Australians can help with the patchwork of markings on the gpw. I've already talked to Ian Fawbert regarding the serial:167335 and ARN:155359, my concern now is if any markings can be identified or perhaps what duties the vehicle performed, there maybe remains of markings on the rear bumpers, there is a large white triangle on both sides of the tub and in the center of the windscreen, part of a number on the tub above the passenger step.

The ARN has been applied at least 3 times, and there are at least 4 different layers/shades of green. Considering this I wonder how many different markings were applied and how many remain/corrupt each other as the paint as peeled.
A rebuild plate on the block places it in Adelaide in 1953, and it was sold off to an orchard in Ringwood, Melbourne sometime later in its life. There is a d^d stamped right hand turn signal bolted to the inside of the windscreen.

...to add to the character of the vehicle, dad found an object wedged under the inside lip of the glovebox the other day, on removal it turned out to be a live cartridge!

James.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_11251.jpg   IMG_12021.jpg   IMG_13251.jpg   IMG_11401.jpg   IMG_11291.jpg  

Old 28-05-10, 04:20

Default more

more pictures, rear bumpers and windscreen. Maybe a 7 on the bumper in the middle picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_13721.jpg   IMG_13741.jpg   IMG_13761.jpg  
Old 28-05-10, 04:27

Default and yet more

white triangle on tub and windscreen, length height width markings, number above passenger step ...maybe something 82. The front bumper has been literally torn off at some stage, so we can't look there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_11341.jpg   IMG_11351.jpg   IMG_11481.jpg   IMG_13711.jpg