MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-12, 02:32

Default Southeastern Equipment Co

I am not usually in a position to peruse the forums, but as I am looking to find an M29C , thought I would scan.
I came across this thread with long legs and gave it a read. I see some discussion about Bill Gregg and his Stuart, and where it came from.
Here are some details, from my personal experience, nothing important, just a story .... with pictures !

Back in the winter of 83, Bill was looking for a Stuart. Southeastern Equipment Co had lots of them come in from Portugal. Bill asked Brian Asbury if he was interested in going down to SE and checking them out. So in winter of 83, Brian and I drove down to Southeastern in Augusta, GA, to go through the Stuarts and choose one for Bill.

As it happened, we arranged meet up with a then Director of the MVCC, Roy Hamilton, (Roy flew in from Calif.) and the three of us would search for 2 Stuarts, one for Bill and one for Roy. Brian and I spent several days excitedly scouring the Southeastern property, and also their bonded storage location in Charleston, SC, in awe. It was massive and loaded with great stuff. And of course we checked many Stuarts out, we had to drain water out of several, and made a decision on a real nice one for Bill. His tank would be processed and shipped north soon after. The tank was finished in 85 !

Brian and I stuffed the vehicle with all the militaria we could fit in, (things, of course, that we just HAD to have!) and RUSHED back home.

'Rushed' you say?

Well, while at SE, Brian had seen some Ferrets, and we rushed back to Canada, to head off to Quebec, so we could go pick one out ... but that's another story...

oooh sorry ... didn't mean to ramble, actually only really intended to post a sampling of some pics of Southeastern Equipment, back in 1983. I would hazard to say, that most of us have never been, or seen the property, and these images may tantalize.

Brock
Attached Thumbnails
SE Equip6.jpeg   SE Equip7.jpeg   SE Equip8.jpeg   SE Equip5.jpeg   SE Equip4.jpeg  

Last edited by Brock J; 02-11-12 at 19:39.
Old 02-11-12, 02:41

Default Southeastern Equipment Co.

couldn't resist... more Southeastern Equipment Co. pics from 1983

Interesting note: the photo of the CDN radio trucks.
I believe SE (SECO) purchased those trucks from Northern Salvage in Barrie, Ontario and shipped them to Georgia.

Brock
Attached Thumbnails
SE Equip1.jpeg   SE Equip2.jpeg   SE Equip3.jpeg   SE Equip 9.jpeg  

Last edited by Brock J; 02-11-12 at 19:52.
Old 02-11-12, 03:47

WOW!
Thanks for posting.
Must have been a fascinating trip.
Rich.
Old 02-11-12, 19:51
Frankencarrier owner

Wow! Is anything still there?
Old 02-11-12, 20:26

Default Seco

Hans

As I haven't been down to Southeastern Equipment Co, since 1983, so I couldn't tell you what they have available now. They ARE still in business, but may now be more commercial than surplus. Southeastern Equipment Co. now operates under the banner SECO and I believe if you google 'SECO augusta', that company will come up. Give them a call !

Richard

For sure, the 70's and 80's were full of adventures and characters, with many interesting stories to be told, most of which needed very little embellishment to make them seem incredible and sometimes near unbelievable.

... but alas ... much of which, is unprintable

aaaah .... the good old days

B
Old 05-11-12, 19:16
Mil history fiend

Outstanding display of vehs. the stuff of my childhood dreams (which incidentally were over by 1983)
Old 12-01-16, 22:43

Default Southeastern

SOUTHEASTERN IS STILL IS BUSINESS..

militarypartscenter.com
LOTS OF KHAKI AND OLIVE DRAB!!!
INCLUDING Shermans, M135s M211's, M38's, M151a1..
Old 13-01-16, 21:42
Canadian Rangers

Default Seco

Hey

If you use Google earth you can zoom in and see that SECO is still there and they have a lot of rusty green stuff that all looks military. I was not able to see the stuff in the yard very well but if you go to street view you can see a few M939's.

Gary

PS: Using Google Earth search SECO Augusta.
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer