MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-05, 16:23
carrier mech

Default The E-bay CMP mirrors

I got my origional CMP mirror for the Bren Carrier off e-bay last week. Who would have thought such a thing would still exist, and in a quantity to satisfy this many of the collectors. At a mirror a week, this guy has sold over a dozen already.

Mine cost $77 Cdn with shipping, and arrived duty free. For those of you who think this is too much, why would you spend extra money on things like cloth wiring which no-one really sees, and yet have a pair of Cdn tire mirrors sticking off your door posts? Also, try and buy a mirror for any piece of cra* Honda these days and you will spend three times that amount. If you think you are going to find origional CMP mirrors for $10, I think you will be looking for a long time.
Anyway, thats my morning rant, and I reccomend any other CMP enthusiasts to get them while you can.
(By the way, I have no connection with the seller, other than to be very happy with the product)
Old 02-02-05, 17:17
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Rob, you are absolutely right about the value in something like those cmp mirrors.
At the risk of offending anyone / everyone, it always astounds me at how cheap Canadian mv enthusiasts are.
I've seen guys spend hours and hours fixing something, which is available NOS but "too expensive" rather than pry open their wallet. How much is your time worth? Figure the average wage at $20 / hour, spend a day fixing a piece of junk, and hmm, that $50 part doesn't really seem bad afterall...
I have been around fellows that collect everything mechanical, from lawnmowers to tanks. Look at guys who restore old cars and see the lengths and expenses that they will go to for that special part. Anyone priced out a fender for a '57 Chev lately? I'll guarantee that if you can find a NOS one that you're in the neighbourhood of $1000USD. Rear fender NOS M37 < $75
As far as I'm concerned, considering the historical signifigance as well as the age of many vehicles out there, by far the mv hobby is truly a hidden secret when it comes to economy and value.
Thanks Rob, you got me going... I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 02-02-05, 19:38
carrier mech

Chris
You mirror (no pun intended) my point as to what a bargain something like these are. I think they still make 57 chevys; there are so many of them around. The aftermarket parts for these seem endless. Same for a WWII MB/GPW; you could just about start with a wheel nut and buy everything else NOS or repro to build a complete one. The CMP stuff just seems so hard to find in any condition, I really think these mirrors are the buy of the year.
The only reasonable alternatives to these are to use the mirrors off a old MG car (I think you can get repros, but they will be more than $80 and will come chromed) or find ferret mirrors, which are equally hard to find and last time I checked; more expensive.

Last edited by rob love; 02-02-05 at 19:58.
Old 02-02-05, 22:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default e-bay mirrors

I can certainly see your point. If there were only a couple of mirrors from this guy and "We will never see another like this", then rarity will affect the price and buyers will clamber over one another to get the last original mirror in existance. But when he offers them at a price of $14.90, and sells them week in week out (as you pointed out, over a dozen so far), why are we beating each other over the head to bid $50, $60 or $70? . If we could be gentlemen about this and take turns (I didn't say collusion) at buying mirrors at $15 a pop, we could have the best of both worlds- genuine mirrors and very reasonable prices. In fact, the seller doesn't know what he's sitting on as he describes them as GMC mirrors! All we're doing at the moment is rewarding this seller for his lies and deceitful business ethics. I don't think that's being cheap.
Some of the prices people are willing to shell out for Jeep stuff hasn't made this stuff more available, just the opposite! People tend to hoard it because think it will make them rich. I know of a property owner who has several Jeeps scattered around his land (out in the open, under trees, trampled by cattle, etc). When asked if he might sell, he says "No they'll be worth lots of money one day". They are rusting into the ground and turning into cr**.
Admittedly, high prices will encourage the production of repro parts where originals are no longer available and that's good, but it will also encourage poor quality and dodgy traders who see a market where they can make a quick buck.
I don't mean to offend anyone or deny them their point of view, but I don't think this seller is being entirely truthful and we shouldn't be suckered in by him.
Old 02-02-05, 23:31
carrier mech

Tony
I'll agree with you that his sensationalistic view of what he has found is wearing a little thin. It would be interesting to know just how many of these he actually has. And I'm not meaning my post to have us start bidding wars on the stuff either. But in the same breath, I personally have not seen origional, in the box CMP mirrors ever in the 25 years I have been collecting military vehicles. I'm just pointing out that these are something that stands out on a CMP, and really finish a restoration off nicely.
The gentleman rule only would work if we knew
a) how many mirrors he had, and
b) knew all the bidders who wanted them.

Since he likely won't reveal a), (when asked on the very first auction how many of these he had he replied: "It's the only yellow one he has" and we really can't control b), then I'm afraid that the traditional capitalism method of an auction will have to prevail.
At least E-bay hasn't adopted an auction extension system like gunbroker.com, where the auction doesn't actually close until 15 minutes after the last bid. This could really drive the prices up on some of those holy grails, as well as reduce the effectiveness of the last minute snipers.
Old 03-02-05, 00:53
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Reflecting on mirrors

Rob makes a lot of sense about the value of having the original mirrors, as a salient restoration touch, regardless of price. I'm needing a set myself, and have been tracking the Argentinian mirror auctions, but not bidding, seeing how high the prices were going. But as I always tell people, things on EBay (or any auction) are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them.

If the seller has a crate of mirrors, it would certainly be more "gentlemanly" of him to put them on multiple quantity "dutch auction" but as he seems to be getting the big bucks by putting them out one at a time with his sales pitch, so be it.

I suppose I will be bidding one of these days, if he keeps listing them - 'cause it sure would be nice to have a genuine set.

As for Canadian MV enthusiasts being cheapskates ... that's a whooole other topic.
Old 05-02-05, 11:33
RIP

Default Restorations

Hi All
I agree with all you guys say. But if that's the case where are all the orders for my instrument panel and gauge restorations. Huh!!
Salesman Bob
Old 26-04-05, 13:31
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default No looking back with these mirrors!

Could it be that the endless supply is running out, or is this just this week's latest ploy? This could be your last chance to buy (Don't know when I'll see another, blah, blah). The seller is now offering them at a fixed price of US$49.90 and has 10 in this Auction.
Old 26-04-05, 15:59
T-16, C15A

Default Problems in Brazil

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Could it be that the endless supply is running out, or is this just this week's latest ploy? This could be your last chance to buy (Don't know when I'll see another, blah, blah).
Either that of the 'poor' bugger has worn out his wheelbarrow tyre hauling all of the gold bars to the bank.

I wonder what other antiquities he has found in the old warehouse where he got the mirrors?

I better get a part-time job to save up some money in case it is something that I just cannot live without - like origional air for my Universal Carrier wheels, or fresh static for my old 19 set ...

Stewart
Old 03-05-05, 00:31
Bluebell

Default Acco mirrors?

Tony I have just spent an exorbitant amount of money buying 2 of these mirrors knowing how uncommon they are here in New Zealand (They have not yet arrived, and they cost $55.00 each plus $17 in shipping USD) Any how I believe these were the same mirrors that were fitted to the 6x6 internationals that the Australians sold our Army in about 1970. They were unpopular because of the size, and because of the curve it was difficult to judge how far away things were, and for any feeble reason ended up in the workshop bin. If only I had known.
Incidentally the 6x6's were posted to 4th Medium Battery to be gun tractors towing the 5.5inch guns. (5.5's had electric brakes), and I was an apprentice at 1st Inf Bde Gp L.A.D. Workshops
Anybody know who made these mirrors? They were fitted to all C.M.P's?, Aust Inters. GMC's and Jeeps in Argentina. What else?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-05-05, 08:21
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Lynn, I don't think these are the same mirrors that were on ACCO's, they were similar but larger. However, if we were selling ACCO's to NZ, we probably fitted them up with all the out of date CMP spares just to clear the warehouses! Those convex mirrors must have been quite a problem, as most ACCO's were fitted with larger flat "Truck style" mirrors through the 80's (pictured ACCO Mk3)
Attached Thumbnails
72halt1.jpg  

Last edited by Tony Smith; 03-05-05 at 08:27.
Old 03-05-05, 08:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Later style mirrors

Later style of ACCO mirror (on an ACCO Mk4):
Attached Thumbnails
late style.jpg  
Old 03-05-05, 09:51
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Another ACCO shot

And there are a couple more in service shots here.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-05-05, 14:25
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Acco mirrors?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Eades
Tony I have just spent an exorbitant amount of money buying 2 of these mirrors knowing how uncommon they are here in New Zealand (They have not yet arrived, and they cost $55.00 each plus $17 in shipping USD)
I've bitten the bullet as well. Two at US$54.90 each, plus shipping at US$17.00 makes a total of US$126.80 which is slightly less than 100 Euro's to me. Expensive? Well, 100 Euro's is a lot of money. But what are the options if you want original mirrors? I'm not in this hobby as long as some of you, and I have only seen Ferret mirrors for sale at Beltring for UKP 50 each. Originals for sale I have only seen here - CMP NOS mirrors. Question? - without any further follow up, and here: CMP Door Mirrors. Compared with Vintage Car Supplies' price, I've now paid almost 50 Euro's less. Not bad, considering they come all the way from Argentina.

H.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-05, 14:33
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Like Hanno and the rest of you, I bit the bullet and purchased 6 of these babies.
They were pricey, ( $50USD each plus shipping) but, where are you going to find anymore?
I've been in this hobby close to 10 years and only saw NOS ones once, and that was in the hands of a fellow collector who'd had them probably 30 years or more, and had only one pair.
I was fortunate to buy a cmp with two original albeit broken mirrors which I thought was lucky.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 03-05-05, 16:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Like Hanno and the rest of you, I bit the bullet and purchased 6 of these babies.
Six!?! That means you're either hoarding mirrors or CMP vehicles. C'mon, fess up, eh?

H.
Old 03-05-05, 21:33
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hanno, I just never know how many cmps I will have at a particular time. Ask anyone who knows me and I have an awful habit of buying, fixing up, playing with, and then selling my toys. This must stop.
Thought I should grab some of these up should fellow enthusiasts be looking down the road for one or two, or I buy some more cmps to have a place to put them!
Has anyone seen them on a halftrack???

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 03-05-05, 23:43
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Ask anyone who knows me and I have an awful habit of buying, fixing up, playing with, and then selling my toys. This must stop.
It will stop once you fit those mirrors, as it will double the price of your trucks ... and with Canadian MV enthusiasts being cheapskates (or so I have been told) they will not buy your expensive trucks any more. Problem solved!

And don't you dare fitting them to that International Half Track of yours - I'm sure the next owner will toss those mirrors in the workshop bin after fitting a set of proper US ones...

H.
Old 04-05-05, 05:08
Bluebell

Default "Fitting up" the Kiwi's.

Tony, I bet you were right on it, when you said about fitting up the Acco's (and the Kiwi's)with the junk in the stores. I'd almost lay money on it that,that's why the first of the Acco's came with the CMP mirrors. Interestingly New Zealand bought the 6x6 gs cargo's and the dumpers and had them in service for about 5 years. It wasn't until I was posted to Singapore in May 75 that I saw my first N.Z. Army Acco 4x4 gs...... 1RNZIR inherited them when the Aussies pulled out of Singapore.
Nice studebakers in the photo, Whats the "L" plate for? Is it because its a left hooker?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 04-05-05, 09:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: "Fitting up" the Kiwi's.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Eades
Nice studebakers in the photo, Whats the "L" plate for? Is it because its a left hooker?
The "L" plates are for Learner drivers. These are usually only displayed for someone going for their first car licence, not upgrading for heavy vehicle licences. This being Army training though, maybe they showed it for all driving instruction, or maybe the fresh recruits did'nt even have their car licences yet! The practice had stopped by the '80s for heavy vehicle instruction.
These pics are from the area near Port Stephens, NSW, which is still a playground for 4wding.
Attached Thumbnails
72_2a_stu_stu-2.jpg  
Old 04-05-05, 10:03
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: "Fitting up" the Kiwi's.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
These pics are from the area near Port Stephens, NSW, which is still a playground for 4wding.
... and Studebakers still frolic in the sand!
Attached Thumbnails
stockton3.jpg  
Old 05-05-05, 03:35

Hi everyone

He now has a bunch more listed in the SCC2 Brown and the desert yellow as well as the Kahki Green #3
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-05-05, 04:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Who'd a thought it?
This thread goes on and on and has tons of views. Didn't realize how much interest is in cmp mirrors.
Waiting patiently for my mirrors...
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 05-05-05, 23:05

Talking Mirror Mirror on the wall

Well Well Hanno who'd have thought it, you have just blown another English myth about our Continental cousins, I was always brought up to believe that the Dutch were a thrifty race !!!

Confession time seems to be the order of the day; I bought a pair two months ago. For those of you still waiting for your orders I can vouch for the vender he delivered dead on time and they are just what it says on the packet, he even gave me a refund on over paid postage

Pete
Old 06-05-05, 00:56
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Mirror Mirror on the wall

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Well Well Hanno who'd have thought it, you have just blown another English myth about our Continental cousins, I was always brought up to believe that the Dutch were a thrifty race !!!

Hanno,

The guy who told you that Canuck CMPers were cheap may have pulled you leg about some issues.

I will explain shortly.

Stewart

Old 06-05-05, 04:57
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Stewart, please do...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 06-05-05, 23:36
T-16, C15A

Default Can't reply Now

Chris,

I'm in Ottawa, and can't reply now ..

...wait a minute ...

All will be revealed when Jiff gets here.

Stewart
Old 17-05-05, 01:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

WooHoo! Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!
Just received the 6 that I ordered, and, as some of the others have already mentioned, the vendor was very efficient with the order. The mirrors are excellent and I am pleased. Although he quoted that some had minor staining on /in/ the glass, certainly nothing to worry about as these are beauties.
I would certainly reccommend other enthusiasts to purchase some if you want authenticity and get 'em before they're gone....

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 22-05-05, 05:43
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Got my pair a while back, both in OD, in original packaging, part numbers conform to manual and all that - I keep wondering when the guy's supply is going to run out.
Old 11-06-05, 03:42
RIP

Default Re: The E-bay CMP mirrors

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
I got my origional CMP mirror for the Bren Carrier off e-bay last week. Who would have thought such a thing would still exist, and in a quantity to satisfy this many of the collectors. At a mirror a week, this guy has sold over a dozen already.

Mine cost $77 Cdn with shipping, and arrived duty free. For those of you who think this is too much, why would you spend extra money on things like cloth wiring which no-one really sees, and yet have a pair of Cdn tire mirrors sticking off your door posts? Also, try and buy a mirror for any piece of cra* Honda these days and you will spend three times that amount. If you think you are going to find origional CMP mirrors for $10, I think you will be looking for a long time.
Anyway, thats my morning rant, and I reccomend any other CMP enthusiasts to get them while you can.
(By the way, I have no connection with the seller, other than to be very happy with the product)