MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 25-06-10, 17:33
302Trooper's Avatar
302Trooper 302Trooper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 94
Default Looking for jeep history

Clive directed me to this forum so here is my request. Gentlemen, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and if anyone could give me some info on my new aquisition it would be greatly appreciated. It is an M38 A1 CDN 3 CFR- 70-08650. I just picked it up yesterday in the Sudbury area. It is mostly complete but in bad need of body work and new canvas. Can anyone provide me with the background of this vehicle.

Thanks
302Trooper
Dave Chaloux
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 04-07-10, 20:33
graveltech1 graveltech1 is offline
Graveltech
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2
Default

Scotty, thank you for taking the time to search for and provide the details of the Jeep ambulance! The body is off the frame now, so the restoration continues

Cheers,
Graham (Graveltech1)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 07-07-10, 03:13
oldlithgow's Avatar
oldlithgow oldlithgow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cold Lake AB
Posts: 86
Default

Good day Craig,
Can you give me any information for my second M38A1
Ser#710597424 CFR 68-08157.
Any help would be appreciated.



Craig Harris
Cold Lake
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-07-10, 23:59
Mike Baker Mike Baker is offline
Squid out of water.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Comox, BC
Posts: 110
Default Very Long Shot - Any info on M100?

I just acquired an M100 CDN, and am hoping to find some information on its history. I know it's a long shot, but the CFR is 53-70193. No data plates, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Mike Baker
Esquimalt, BC
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 29-07-10, 10:06
Mike Baker Mike Baker is offline
Squid out of water.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Comox, BC
Posts: 110
Default M38A1 CDN2 I just bought at an estate sale...

Good evening,

I just bought an M38A1 CDN 2 at an estate sale, and am hoping to find something of its history. The S/N on the data plate is 96887, which I am assuming would make it 710596887. Delivery and inspection dates were both December 1967. According to ramtank.ca, that S/N was assigned CFR 67-07840.

I will likely post some photos in a different thread when I get it home tomorrow or Friday, but I think I struck a pot of gold with this one. It's been sitting in the guy's garage for 10+ years, but flashed-up almost immediately when some new gas was added to the tank. Engine has a re-build tag from 1978. It has very little rust, is still painted in the CF camoflage pattern, came with all of the canvas including the grille cover, and even a bright red arctic hard top! The lights even work. Only things missing that I can see are the winch, the shovel from under the hood, the wiper arms and the fire extinguisher.

If only my wife was as happy as I am!
__________________
Mike Baker
Comox, BC
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 29-07-10, 13:46
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Clive directed me to this forum so here is my request. Gentlemen, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and if anyone could give me some info on my new aquisition it would be greatly appreciated. It is an M38 A1 CDN 3 CFR- 70-08650. I just picked it up yesterday in the Sudbury area. It is mostly complete but in bad need of body work and new canvas. Can anyone provide me with the background of this vehicle.

Thanks
302Trooper
Dave Chaloux
CFR Information
CFR No 08650
CFR Year 1970
Serial No 99989
Actual ECC 121301
Authorized ECC 121301
NSN
ERN 30104
Holding Unit 0131
DA Unit 0131
Date Acquired 01-Jan-70
Cost 0
Alloc Code MD
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP357375 - 28-Oct-86
HN Date 27-Feb-87
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 22-May-87

VMO History for CFR Number : 08650
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP357375 - 28-Oct-86 REGUL No 121301 MA 0131 0131 CANADIAN FORCES BASE LONDON
F86-431 - 18-Sep-86 UPDAT No 121301 MD 0131 0131 CANADIAN FORCES BASE LONDON

Last Maintenance record shows 43888 miles/kms on the odometer performed by the Windsor Regiment on 23 March 1983
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 29-07-10, 13:51
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlithgow View Post
Good day Craig,
Can you give me any information for my second M38A1
Ser#710597424 CFR 68-08157.
Any help would be appreciated.



Craig Harris
Cold Lake
CFR Information
CFR No 08157
CFR Year 1967
Serial No 7105-97424
Actual ECC 121201
Authorized ECC 121201
NSN
ERN 30103
Holding Unit 1732
DA Unit 1732
Date Acquired 01-Jan-67
Cost 0
Alloc Code MA
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP350852 - 23-Jun-87
HN Date 20-Oct-87
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 30-Sep-87

VMO History for CFR Number : 08157
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP350852 - 23-Jun-87 REGUL No 121201 MA 1732 1732 CFB EDMONTON DETACHMENT WAINWRIGHT

Last Maint entry entered was performed by 2 RCHA in 31 Dec 78 with 55575 miles/kms on the Odometer. I suspect the rest of the maintenance records are missing as there is nearly a ten year gap from the last one until auction.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 29-07-10, 13:52
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baker View Post
I just acquired an M100 CDN, and am hoping to find some information on its history. I know it's a long shot, but the CFR is 53-70193. No data plates, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Mike Baker
Esquimalt, BC
CFR Information
CFR No 70193
CFR Year 1952
Serial No O203
Actual ECC 131101
Authorized ECC 131101
NSN
ERN X5270001
Holding Unit 0103
DA Unit 0103
Date Acquired 01-Jan-52
Cost 0
Alloc Code MA
Comm Suite
Current VMO -
HN Date 10-Dec-82
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 10-Dec-82

I cannot find any other information on this M100
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 29-07-10, 13:56
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baker View Post
Good evening,

I just bought an M38A1 CDN 2 at an estate sale, and am hoping to find something of its history. The S/N on the data plate is 96887, which I am assuming would make it 710596887. Delivery and inspection dates were both December 1967. According to ramtank.ca, that S/N was assigned CFR 67-07840.

I will likely post some photos in a different thread when I get it home tomorrow or Friday, but I think I struck a pot of gold with this one. It's been sitting in the guy's garage for 10+ years, but flashed-up almost immediately when some new gas was added to the tank. Engine has a re-build tag from 1978. It has very little rust, is still painted in the CF camoflage pattern, came with all of the canvas including the grille cover, and even a bright red arctic hard top! The lights even work. Only things missing that I can see are the winch, the shovel from under the hood, the wiper arms and the fire extinguisher.

If only my wife was as happy as I am!
CFR Information
CFR No 07840
CFR Year 1967
Serial No 7105-96887
Actual ECC 121201
Authorized ECC 121201
NSN
ERN 30103
Holding Unit 0122
DA Unit 0122
Date Acquired 01-Jan-67
Cost 0
Alloc Code MA
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP356702 - 22-Sep-86
HN Date 05-Mar-87
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 03-Feb-87

VMO History for CFR Number : 07840
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP356702 - 22-Sep-86 REGUL No 121201 MA 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK

Last maintenance record was dated 7 Mar 85, performed by CFB Chilliwack with 83013 miles/kms on the Odometer.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 30-07-10, 15:27
302Trooper's Avatar
302Trooper 302Trooper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
CFR Information
CFR No 08650
CFR Year 1970
Serial No 99989
Actual ECC 121301
Authorized ECC 121301
NSN
ERN 30104
Holding Unit 0131
DA Unit 0131
Date Acquired 01-Jan-70
Cost 0
Alloc Code MD
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP357375 - 28-Oct-86
HN Date 27-Feb-87
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 22-May-87

VMO History for CFR Number : 08650
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP357375 - 28-Oct-86 REGUL No 121301 MA 0131 0131 CANADIAN FORCES BASE LONDON
F86-431 - 18-Sep-86 UPDAT No 121301 MD 0131 0131 CANADIAN FORCES BASE LONDON

Last Maintenance record shows 43888 miles/kms on the odometer performed by the Windsor Regiment on 23 March 1983
Thanks for the Info. Is Holding Unit 0131 The Windsor Regt? I was thinking it came from Petawawa due to the CFR being close to the ones there but a plesent surprise.

Thanks

Dave
302Trooper
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 30-07-10, 15:42
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Thanks for the Info. Is Holding Unit 0131 The Windsor Regt? I was thinking it came from Petawawa due to the CFR being close to the ones there but a plesent surprise.

Thanks

Dave
302Trooper
I went back through the Maint Logs again, as they are a good way to track vehicle movements. All of the maint performed on your 38A1 was either at CFB London (Windsor Regt) or CFB Borden. IIRC, HU0131 is ASU London.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 31-07-10, 08:42
Mike Baker Mike Baker is offline
Squid out of water.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Comox, BC
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
VMO History for CFR Number : 07840
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP356702 - 22-Sep-86 REGUL No 121201 MA 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK

Last maintenance record was dated 7 Mar 85, performed by CFB Chilliwack with 83013 miles/kms on the Odometer.
Do the maintenance records give any indication of which unit it belonged to at Chilliwack? I suppose it could even have belonged to one of the Militia units in Vancouver and just been serviced in Chilliwack.

Also - how likely is it that the recorded mileage is incorrect? Is there a mileage given for the previous service? Reason I ask is that the current mileage is 59,717 and it has been sitting under a tarp in a guy's garage in Cobble Hill since at least 1988. And I doubt it did 77,000 miles in 2 1/2 years!

Lastly, the engine has a rebuild tag from 1978. It was done by a company called Eastern Rebuilders in Bedford, Quebec, which is a short drive southwest of Farnham and near St. Jean. Would it have been just the engine that was out east or was the whole Jeep out there in the '70s?

Thank you very much for your assistance with this - the more info I have, the easier it will be to convince ICBC to register it in my name.

Mike
__________________
Mike Baker
Comox, BC
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 31-07-10, 16:22
rob love rob love is offline
carrier mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Shilo MB, the armpit of Canada
Posts: 6,990
Default

Back in those days there would have been a national contract to overhaul the engines. Eastern had the contract for a while, later it was Bennet and Hanson. Earlier than that it was 202 Workshop. Engines were traded out fairly often on the fleet, especially as they neared that magic 35,000 mile mark.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 31-07-10, 18:13
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baker View Post
Do the maintenance records give any indication of which unit it belonged to at Chilliwack? I suppose it could even have belonged to one of the Militia units in Vancouver and just been serviced in Chilliwack.

Also - how likely is it that the recorded mileage is incorrect? Is there a mileage given for the previous service? Reason I ask is that the current mileage is 59,717 and it has been sitting under a tarp in a guy's garage in Cobble Hill since at least 1988. And I doubt it did 77,000 miles in 2 1/2 years!

Mike
Mike, as I have mentioned in some earlier posts in this thread, I suspect that the odometer readings on some vehicles have been converted from miles to Km in the database. In your case, if you convert the last entry from Km to miles, it comes in at a much more reasonable 53000 miles. Two of my 3 M151s were this way also.

With regards to units, generally the logs will have unit names if they belonged to one. In the case of Chilliwack back in the day, there would have been 1 CER or the DMER pool. CFSME and CFOCS generally shared the Base Tpt fleet. I suspect yours would have been used by either of these schools as all of the logs indicate either Base Maintenance or ASU Chilliwack.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 01-08-10, 19:17
Mike Baker Mike Baker is offline
Squid out of water.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Comox, BC
Posts: 110
Default

Awesome - thanks for the info. Obviously I'm new at this!

Mike
__________________
Mike Baker
Comox, BC
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-08-10, 22:25
302Trooper's Avatar
302Trooper 302Trooper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
I went back through the Maint Logs again, as they are a good way to track vehicle movements. All of the maint performed on your 38A1 was either at CFB London (Windsor Regt) or CFB Borden. IIRC, HU0131 is ASU London.
Would you know the history of CFR 67-08318. This might have been a jeep used for parts at some point.

Thanks so much for the help. I would like to personally thank you on my way through Oromocto tomorrow as I visit my friends at the Armoured School.

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-08-10, 22:49
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Would you know the history of CFR 67-08318. This might have been a jeep used for parts at some point.

Thanks so much for the help. I would like to personally thank you on my way through Oromocto tomorrow as I visit my friends at the Armoured School.

Dave
Dave,

I'll check out your parts Jeep for you as soon as I get a chance.

I will most likely be tied up tommorrow with training, but I appreciate the gesture.

Bit of irony that your 38A1 ended up coming from an Armd unit, although, judging by your Avatar, i'd imagine you were hoping for an RCD Jeep. Worked out well for you either way, plus you can put the Recce kit (MG mount etc) on it without being a poser I have collected 3 x 151s now, and still no luck getting an original Fd Engr Jeep. 2 CER never even used M151s, so I was hoping to find a 22 Fd Sqn carcass out this way, but i've given up as most have returned to the earth now. I'm going to find a CFR from a 4 CER M151A2 on the Database, as I know those were all destroyed in situ at Lahr, so I don't have to worry about stealing someone elses CFR.

Scotty
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 06-08-10, 22:21
302Trooper's Avatar
302Trooper 302Trooper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 94
Default

Scotty, I was actually hoping it came from the VIII CH as the RCD were in Germany and when I arrived on the driver wheeled portion of my TQ3 all the M38A1's were marshalled to leave the regiment and the new Iltis were arriving. I'll take Windsor Regt and I will track down some friends there and see if they have any pictures of my jeep during its regimental service.

The 151's while I was in Pet were only at the Airborne Regt with the 106 guys if my memory serves me right. The iltis didn't have the capability.

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-08-10, 00:29
Ed Storey Ed Storey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,229
Default M151A2s

Did Canada use the M40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle on the M151A2, I was under the impression that weapon was only mounted on the M38A1.

As far as M151A2 use in Petawawa goes, I know that 2 Field Ambulance used them and 2 Combat Engineer Regiment and 2 Military Police Platoon did not.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 10-08-10, 07:02
Aide Memoire Aide Memoire is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aldergrove, B.C.
Posts: 40
Default

Hopefully the database holds some info on a couple of our local club members otherwise history-less vehicles:

1. M38 CFR 52-30688
2. M38 CFR 52-30323
3. M37 CFR 52-40764
4. M151A2CDN 74-09188

(That first M38 has really been around the block and had a really heavy duty Southwind heater installation and about three layers of tac signs.)

My own M151A2 (not the one in the list up there) was part of a group of PPCLI(3) vehicles that were disposed of in Victoria, but unfortunately any CFR markings are looooong gone. Was there a block of M151A2 CFRs that went to PPCLI(3) from which I could sort of adopt one? A lot of the PPCLI ones that were scrapped out here had this really ugly "piece of railroad track" abortion for a bumper done as a field mod at some point, and I was hoping one day to find a pic of one of those in service and narrow the range down that way. Who knew there'd be so few pics of the M151A2 in Canadian service?

Andy Hill
Western Command Chapter MVPA
Aldergrove, B.C.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 10-08-10, 07:50
Ed Storey Ed Storey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,229
Default Canadian M151A2 images

Images of Canadian M151A2s are not that rare, I have quite a few that I took when they were in service.

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 10-08-10, 20:30
Aide Memoire Aide Memoire is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aldergrove, B.C.
Posts: 40
Default

Probably quite a few people have shots of them in their own photo albums, it's just that looking around the web you only see the same seven-eight shots of them. If scanning photos wasn't such a royal PITA I bet more people would put them up. If I can find the ones from the 3PPCLI disposal I'll nail them up on Flickr or something as I think those vehs still had their plates on.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 10-08-10, 21:33
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aide Memoire View Post
Hopefully the database holds some info on a couple of our local club members otherwise history-less vehicles:

1. M38 CFR 52-30688
2. M38 CFR 52-30323
3. M37 CFR 52-40764
4. M151A2CDN 74-09188

(That first M38 has really been around the block and had a really heavy duty Southwind heater installation and about three layers of tac signs.)

My own M151A2 (not the one in the list up there) was part of a group of PPCLI(3) vehicles that were disposed of in Victoria, but unfortunately any CFR markings are looooong gone. Was there a block of M151A2 CFRs that went to PPCLI(3) from which I could sort of adopt one? A lot of the PPCLI ones that were scrapped out here had this really ugly "piece of railroad track" abortion for a bumper done as a field mod at some point, and I was hoping one day to find a pic of one of those in service and narrow the range down that way. Who knew there'd be so few pics of the M151A2 in Canadian service?

Andy Hill
Western Command Chapter MVPA
Aldergrove, B.C.
Andy,

I've got nothing on the 2 x M38 and the M37. This info is long gone now from the server.

The M151A2 is originally from LDSH, followed by 15 Fd (Arty):

CFR Information
CFR No 09188
CFR Year 1974
Serial No 43753
Actual ECC 121401
Authorized ECC 121401
NSN
ERN 30105
Holding Unit 0122
DA Unit 0122
Date Acquired 01-Jan-74
Cost 0
Alloc Code MD
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP357357 - 25-Oct-86
HN Date 30-Mar-88
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 05-Jan-88

VMO History for CFR Number : 09188
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP357357 - 25-Oct-86 REGUL No 121401 MA 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK
F86-415 - 17-Sep-86 UPDAT No 121401 MD 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK

The last maint entry was on 19 Mar 86, with a mileage of 66542. Again, this may be in Km, so try converting back to miles if its way off.

Any pics of this said M151 would be of interest. I'm always collecting them as I am still a bit off from completing my M151A2 resto.

As far as a block of CFRs for the VP in Esquimalt:
74-09454 up to 09478
I didn't check each one individually, but as a betting man, I doubt the Navy was using them There were a half dozen more, but were one off CFR's not in any sequence.

Scotty B
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 10-08-10, 21:39
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Would you know the history of CFR 67-08318. This might have been a jeep used for parts at some point.

Thanks so much for the help. I would like to personally thank you on my way through Oromocto tomorrow as I visit my friends at the Armoured School.

Dave
CFR Information
CFR No 08318
CFR Year 1967
Serial No 7105-97585
Actual ECC 121202
Authorized ECC 121202
NSN
ERN 30103
Holding Unit 0124
DA Unit 0124
Date Acquired 01-Jan-67
Cost 0
Alloc Code MA
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP356323 - 28-Aug-86
HN Date 02-Feb-88
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 25-Sep-87

VMO History for CFR Number : 08318
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP356323 - 28-Aug-86 REGUL No 121202 MA 0124 0124 CFB TORONTO
DP355585 - 07-Jul-86 REGUL No 121202 MD 0124 0124 CFB TORONTO

Last maint entry was 17 Dec 83, with 66527 on the odometer. Work was conducted by 25 Service Battalion.

Scotty B
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 10-08-10, 21:50
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
Images of Canadian M151A2s are not that rare, I have quite a few that I took when they were in service.

Just in case you wanted the history on that one Ed:

74-09315

CFB Kingston (1974-77)
CF JSR (1977-82)
Reinforcement Holding Unit Lahr(1982-87)

I'd like to know when the photo was taken, as its one of the few 151's i've seen with the MLC marking on the side of it.

Scotty
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 10-08-10, 22:20
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
Andy,

I've got nothing on the 2 x M38 and the M37. This info is long gone now from the server.

The M151A2 is originally from LDSH, followed by 15 Fd (Arty):

CFR Information
CFR No 09188
CFR Year 1974
Serial No 43753
Actual ECC 121401
Authorized ECC 121401
NSN
ERN 30105
Holding Unit 0122
DA Unit 0122
Date Acquired 01-Jan-74
Cost 0
Alloc Code MD
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP357357 - 25-Oct-86
HN Date 30-Mar-88
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 05-Jan-88

VMO History for CFR Number : 09188
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP357357 - 25-Oct-86 REGUL No 121401 MA 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK
F86-415 - 17-Sep-86 UPDAT No 121401 MD 0122 0122 CFB CHILLIWACK

The last maint entry was on 19 Mar 86, with a mileage of 66542. Again, this may be in Km, so try converting back to miles if its way off.

Any pics of this said M151 would be of interest. I'm always collecting them as I am still a bit off from completing my M151A2 resto.

As far as a block of CFRs for the VP in Esquimalt:
74-09454 up to 09478
I didn't check each one individually, but as a betting man, I doubt the Navy was using them There were a half dozen more, but were one off CFR's not in any sequence.

Scotty B
Also, that M151A2 that is listed above wouldn't happen to be this one would it? Reason I ask is that it has a 15 Fd (Arty) Tac Sign on it. I don't have any full pics of the Jeep, just some detail shots. Of interest is that it also has the GPMG Mount on it, which was rare/strange for M151s:



__________________
Gone but never forgotten: Sgt Shane Stachnik, Killed in Action on 3 Sept 2006, Panjwaii Afghanistan
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 10-08-10, 22:50
servicepub (RIP)'s Avatar
servicepub (RIP) servicepub (RIP) is offline
RIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aide Memoire View Post
Probably quite a few people have shots of them in their own photo albums, it's just that looking around the web you only see the same seven-eight shots of them. If scanning photos wasn't such a royal PITA I bet more people would put them up. If I can find the ones from the 3PPCLI disposal I'll nail them up on Flickr or something as I think those vehs still had their plates on.
Although I haven't done much work on this over the past couple of monmths, I am always looking for photos of M-series vehicles for my www.RamTank.ca website. Feel free to scan and send to me for uploading.
Cheers,
Clive
__________________
Those who live by the sword will be shot by those of us who have progressed.
- M38A1, 67-07800, ex LETE

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 11-08-10 at 05:07.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-08-10, 02:08
rob love rob love is offline
carrier mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Shilo MB, the armpit of Canada
Posts: 6,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
Also, that M151A2 that is listed above wouldn't happen to be this one would it? Reason I ask is that it has a 15 Fd (Arty) Tac Sign on it. I don't have any full pics of the Jeep, just some detail shots. Of interest is that it also has the GPMG Mount on it, which was rare/strange for M151s:



The GPMG mount was tried at LETE on a M151A2, but was "found to be unsatisfactory without extensive vehicle modification". (Quote from the installation instructions for the GPMG on the M38A1Cdn2/3) It's installation on a M151A2 would not have been authorized, nor practical considering the roll cage would severely limit it's arcs of fire.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-08-10, 04:58
Aide Memoire Aide Memoire is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aldergrove, B.C.
Posts: 40
Default

Thanks for all the info, Scott. Yup, 74-09188 is the CFR that vehicle in the pics with the GPMG mount is wearing, but the owner, Robert J. Sutherland, basically gave it that identity to mimic a vehicle in his old unit (GPMG mount was added just for fun.) The vehicle itself is actually another anonymous one from the same 3PPCLI disposal I talked about earlier, so its true identity is unknown. I took those pics a few years ago to show someone the basic setup on the Canadian M151A2 vs. the American ROPS cage as respects radios and the like.

Dug through the files at work today and happened across both the photos from the disposal of the 3PPCLI M151A2s out at Work Point Barracks and a list of their serial numbers plus a few sold out of Colwood later on. All the vehicles in the pics have the last 3 of their CFR numbers handily painted on them too, mostly in the range Scott gave earlier.

All of the M151A2s in the pic are 3PPCLI and they all have the ugly 'railroad track' abortion of a bumper on them. Out of the 10 vehicles I could identify in the pics, just the one happens to have an extra jerrycan mount on the fender right in front of the driver mounted in such a way it would obscure the tac sign. Just on the off chance I had a look at my M151A2 from that sale and voila! The holes are there for the jerry can mount, though covered over by a subsequent owner with bondo! By fluke I found my CFR...

74-09464

If you could look that one up for me too, Scott, it'd make my month. I wonder why there'd be an extra jerry can mounted there, for openers, and why just on the one vehicle? Should make it easy to identify if I ever come across any 3rd Pickly photos from the 80s.

My scanner's pooched at the moment (it's allergic to Windows 7) but I'll try get the photos up somewhere public within the next week. All interested parties may feel free to use them anywhere and everywhere.

Andy Hill
Western Command Chapter MVPA
Aldergrove, B.C.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-08-10, 12:34
Scott Bentley's Avatar
Scott Bentley Scott Bentley is offline
MUTT Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 700
Default

Andy:

CFR Information
CFR No 09464
CFR Year 1974
Serial No 43846
Actual ECC 121401
Authorized ECC 121401
NSN
ERN 30105
Holding Unit 0103
DA Unit 0103
Date Acquired 01-Jan-74
Cost 0
Alloc Code MA
Comm Suite
Current VMO DP356262 - 27-Aug-86
HN Date 12-Feb-87
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 11-Dec-86

VMO History for CFR Number : 09464
VMO Type Pending To ECC To AC To HUIC To DA UIC
DP356262 - 27-Aug-86 REGUL No 121401 MA 0103 0103 Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt
F86-204 - 14-May-86 UPDAT No 121401 MD 0103 0103 Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt

All documents show that this was a 3 VP vehicle for its entire career. Last maint entry is dated 30 Dec 84 with an odometer reading of 68724. This may in fact be Km instead of Miles, which seems to be the trend lately on most of the vehicles i've looked up on the EDR Viewer.

Not sure how clean this will come out in the post, but I discovered I can pull this data into Excel, then paste it in. Sadly, the maint logs don't actually show what was done, but its a rolling record of the mileage. The mod instructions list is quite handy for determining which holes are legit mods There is another thread in here called "Looking for Canadian M151A2 Pictures...." and I believe Rob Love detailed each mod to the CFTO numbers below.

CFR Number : 09464
Format Work Order Number SS Date Completed CIN HUIC Usage Qty Parts ($) Rebuild
6 LM4464 30-Dec-84 255* 1854* 68724 1 19 NO
6 LM3464 29-Sep-84 255* 1854* 68642 1 0 NO
6 LM4464 31-Dec-83 255* 1854* 66641 1 268 NO
6 LM1464 31-Mar-83 255* 1854* 63714 1 87 NO
6 LM4464 31-Dec-82 255* 1854* 63703 1 82 NO
6 LM1464 31-Mar-81 255* 1854* 57302 1 81 NO
6 L02028 05-Nov-80 255* 1854* 54988 1 90 NO
6 L04087 14-Feb-80 255* 1854* 54986 1 70 NO
6 L03664 21-Sep-79 255* 1854* 50030 1 73 NO
6 L02818 30-Nov-78 255* 2208* 0 1 0 NO
5 L04984 31-Aug-77 716* 2208* 0 1 0 NO
6 L01003 31-Mar-77 255* 2208* 0 2 0 NO

Modification History of CFR : 09464

Modification No Modification Complete Date Completed
30010000CF003* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION NO
30105000CF001* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF003* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF004* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF005* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF006* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF007* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF008* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF012* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF013* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF016* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
30105000CF017* NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THIS MODIFICATION YES
__________________
Gone but never forgotten: Sgt Shane Stachnik, Killed in Action on 3 Sept 2006, Panjwaii Afghanistan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016