MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 19-06-12, 05:10

Default new M37CDN restoration

Hello,
I have a 1952 M37CDN I picked up in Manitoba. It needs a bit of work to the electrical to get it going. I drove it home but the former owner was a John Deere mechanic and over the years is adopted some non army green parts. It was also wired over to 12 V. This truck was an artillery truck, and I assume from CFB Shilo which was only just over an hour away from where I picked it up.

My second truck is a 1954 M37 Cdn. It has the 1970s prairie camo paint scheme. I'm trying to find the proper paint to repaint it, in the same scheme. This truck came from just west of CFB Wainwright. It is complete with 24V. Just needs some cosmetic work, and passenger fender, and other odds n ends. I'll play with them for a while to get them up to snuff for some local stuff, but won't get serious with a rebuild till I retire and have a garage to work in.

I also have a 1980 M101A1 Trailer, which came from Edmonton. It had a mech brigade sign on same before I painted over it to hid the camo from my wife. I can't remember how many kids or loads I have moved with that trailer. I had the brake hitch welded together so it does not work, as it had twisted on me one day while moving a kid. Other than that it is intact.

Some names on this site I recognize as people I have met or spoken with over the years. I may even be related to one M38 collector.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going. With all the house work and rain I have not had much time to do anything. Don't worry I'll be looking for some part for those of you who are looking for another sucker to sell to.

Cheers, Ewen
Attached Thumbnails
powerwagon (2).jpg   tanner2.jpg  
Old 21-06-12, 20:20

Default welcome to MLU

Welcome to MLU

Yes your name sounds familiar.

By the way there is a M38a1, GPW, M151a2, M100 and MBT in my collection but no M38. Even my loving wife knows that. haha

Eric
Old 25-06-12, 20:55
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Welcome to MLU

Hi Ewen:

Welcome to MLU! I owe you a PM about paint schemes...

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 25-06-12, 21:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Hi Ewen: Welcome to MLU!
I second that!

Quote:
I owe you a PM about paint schemes...
Why not post them here?

H.
Old 25-06-12, 22:20
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Yer right!

Yer right, Hanno... and I will!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 12-07-12, 05:22

Default still working away

Well I have done some work on the truck, wanting to have it ready for a parade at the end of the month. I was lucky a friend stopped in and brought a pipe wrench and a couple of sledge hammers. A few hours later all my fenders were straight and I realized I did not need a new front right fender after all. It still looks rough, but probably the best it has looked in 40 years. I put a couple of coats of paint on it. Flat black where the black used to go. Kakki tan where the off white used to be, and a gloss green matched up with to a chip of paint off the truck at Home Hardware. These colours actually look pretty similar to the original when I waxed a sample area on the truck and wet it down to look new.

There is still some small work to do before I'll get some photos on the site. Presently waiting for parts to come from the states so I can get the brakes working. Biggest dilema is what call sign to put on it. It had
42A painted over by 69D. Not sure if this would be the same unit, but I would like to try and keep it original. I also put new wood and made some backrests in the rear. Next major cost for the truck would be tires.

So far the budget has been pretty good:
Truck $1,700.00
Paint 110.00
front clevis hooks 50.00
lights 100.00
muffler 68.00
brake kit.. 211.00 (and a whole wack of other little parts)

I have my eye on some other parts for it later.
stay tuned for some photos.
Ewen
Old 27-07-12, 07:13

Default some update photos

Here are some photos of the 1954 M37 CDN I picked up west of Wainwright. So far my neighbour and myself (mostly him) bashed out the fenders and running boards with two sledge hammers and a large pipe wrench. I tested some spray paints to match colours and took a paint swatch from the truck that fell off, to Home Hardware. They scanned it onto their computer and were able to come up with an oil based beauty tone paint that was gloss in the green I needed. Cheap option, and i then brushed away as they did the last time the truck was painted in the 1970s. Waited for some parts to come from the states and now have to put the fender back on. Life in a small town with no local implement dealers...hard to find the right bolts you need when you want them.

Here are some photos to look at for now. One from the trailer ride home, and two from the work being done in my driveway. Still having a dilema as to what call sign to use. Threw my old Black Watch licence plate on the front for now. Ewen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00246-20120526-1941.jpg   IMG00278-20120712-0756 (2).jpg   IMG00279-20120712-0756 (2).jpg  
Old 11-08-12, 02:33

Default This is what it is all about!

Got the truck into the Railway Days parade in Melville. I had a group of Air cadets ride in the back and hand out freezies. I had 600 at the start of the parade and told them to hand one to each kid and people in wheelchairs. Well I didn't have any left by the time I hit 1/2 way through the parade. Cute kids but got a little too enthusiastic. Truck was a hit, and I left it at the car show for the day as well. Still lots of work to do on it, but this is what it is all about. Hey, I even got the wife to ride in it a couple of times. Keeps missing 3rd gear, but I can almost leave it in 4th for most of the driving in town anyways.
Getting ready to Move north, so the wife said I can't play with the truck till the house is ready to sell...and sold...and we are moved into our new house...and I hope I get a yard with a big work shop....and now I am really dreaming.

Some more photos for you.
Ewen
Attached Thumbnails
afterparade.jpg   parade.jpg  
Old 14-08-12, 00:11

It looks pretty good from way over here! the paint looks as it should too. nothing wrong with the hand applied coat of paint either. the thicker the better! LOL

Noticed you have it insured with regular plates for Sask. may i ask what you have to pay for insurance for this type of Vehicle? I am in BC and the lower mainland so we still have AirCare which really sucks the money out of our wallets.as well the insurance is very expensive even when put at month to month or a period of a few months...and each time we have to renew we have to aircare for the next year. Not an idle test as for collectors plates or Vintage. I failled the collectors plates. It had dents all over it... Duh Some one does not know dents from the depression left by spot welds! Alas I am at a crossroads as to insurance...PM if you like for the cost if you would ablige me.
thanks... Casey from Burnaby BC
Old 14-08-12, 01:14

Default Vintage plates Casey....

.... vintage plates Casey, repeat after me.... "Vintage plates"... $70.00 a year for 2 Million liability.
Old 14-08-12, 22:12

yes Harry V V Vin Vint Vintage Plaaaates there I said it...Hahahaha
Old 17-08-12, 02:27

Thumbs up Licence Plates in Sask

Actually the plates are cheap.. They are standard plates but it is registered as an antique. Approx. $120.00 the year. This is without the extra carrier for glass, wildlife or theft. If I wanted that I would have to have the truck appraised as it is an antique. I have done some research and I have enough hours in the military (reserve and CIC officer) to apply for Veterans licence plates. Then I can also get custom plates done up...so once I am done I will pay a one shot deal of $5.00 to the legion to get the veteran plate. I then get the custom # I want for an additional $99.75 for two licence plates. (In Sask we only use one plate but I wish a second in case somebody steals the first). Then the usual registration fee noted above. That way the trucks will be veterans with their own custom licence plate. They served more time than I did, so they are the real veterans here, not me.

This is all available on the Saskatchewan Government Insurance web site: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/reg...tes/index.html

The really nice thing about antiques in Saskatchewan...no safety required! But then again that could be why there are some old junkers still on the roads. Off to a car show (local A&W) tonight to show off the old beast. The wife will also be coming with me (To my surprise..and no she is not the old beast..haha)
Will get some more photos. I will be looking for bows, tarp, Ammo boxes etc to finish it off and ad as props later. I taught her (the wife) how to shoot a '.22 and .38Spl handgun last weekend so I better watch what I type...not that she will ever find this website...but you never know.
Ewen
Old 18-08-12, 00:31

Talking brown-green glossy paint used on truck

Hey. Here is the paint code for the colour chip (that fell off the truck) I took to Home Hardware and had them scan on their computer. They produced this paint for me in the beauty tone rust paint. It is the brown-green paint, glossy. It works good and at around $36.00 a gallon (3.48L) can it is cheap. It is mixed to a clear base.

Product: 1823-389
size: B-Y26
Colour:H-7y 12 (could be H-74 12)
Formula:2-36

I will be getting a new batch done up so I can paint my frame and undercarriage. It will also be used to paint the old green truck a solid green.

I will get some better photos of the colour on the truck for you.
Old 20-08-12, 06:22

Default more photos/ Brigade barkings?

Why does everybody have to have the same pose. I let the kids drive the truck and this is how they pose. Not sure how they are supposed to sit and smile but it must be in the genes. I guess the prairie camo does work with the right setting. Have not found the right background yet I guess.

Here are also a couple of photos of the brigade sign on my 1984 MANAC 3/4 ton trailer. I believe is a Mech brigade as it came from Edmonton. Anybody have any better suggestions?
Thanks

Ewen
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0158 (Medium).jpg   GEDC0160 (Medium).jpg   IMG00299-20120819-1651.jpg   jordan.jpg  
Old 20-08-12, 07:05
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen B View Post
Here are also a couple of photos of the brigade sign on my 1984 MANAC 3/4 ton trailer. I believe is a Mech brigade as it came from Edmonton. Anybody have any better suggestions?
Thanks

Ewen
1 CMBG, Armoured Regt... Translation: LdSH (Lord Strathcona's Horse) out of Calgary and later Edmonton.
Old 23-08-12, 03:26

Default Brig markings

Scotty B
Thank you very much! When I get around to repainting the trailer I'll put the markings back on. Presently covered with black fender protector to disguise the camouflage from the wife. I'll have to slip up to Steele Barracks to see if they have any licence plates I can put on the trailer from the regimental quartermaster store.

Do you have any idea about the call sign numbers on the Wainwright truck? "69D" and "42A"?

And for those who were looking at the veterans licence plates I made a boo boo. That is not the needed time in hours, it is days. So the trucks will not get their veteran plates. I will get custom plates made eventually. If not already taken the Wainwright truck will be "ready", and the Shilo truck "rough". The Shilo truck's hood and roof looks like a bear jumped up and down on them and I doubt I will get all the dents out...so I may as well call it rough.

Again, thank you for your help.
Ewen
Old 10-11-13, 01:29

Default update on my 54 M37 CDN

Not much progress..working too much. I got the brakes working and put it in the Prince Albert Fair Parade. I was attached to the North Saskatchewan's Reg't display. Their pipe band was choking on my exhaust fumes and they had a Milcot following the band. By the end of the parade my brakes were gone and I realized a wheel cylinder seal is gone. I pulled my M101 CDN 3/4 ton trailer with a poster honouring the Korean Vets. Too bad nobody gave me a photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	holbein nov8.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	61466
Here is a photos I took two days ago when I went playing on the local ATV trails with truck. This is the ultimate ATV. The other one is at the end of a rainbow. (not a pot of gold yet..)

Monday is a big day for many of our website participants. "At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them!"

Ewen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0709.jpg  
Old 13-11-13, 15:12

Default Pot of gold

Ewen

Don't bother looking for the Pot of Gold, you are spending it.
The Pot of gold is what you require to restore these things properly.

When you visit you can admire my Veteran plates (That is... when i eventually pick them up.)

Eric
Old 20-11-13, 04:48

Smile pot of gold

Actually the costs in addition to the above postings for this truck was another $150 for a new fender and some other small parts. I just could not fasten the fender properly due to the warping and a few bolt holes were ripped. I wanted it strong so that the Jerry can bouncing around did not loosten the fender on me. So the pot of gold really has not cost me much so far. Two pieces of flat glass have to be replaced, and I want to get canvas and bows. The biggest cost will be a new garage once I settle into the retirement home..whenever that happens. The truck is pretty solid, and is working out well.

I guess the one ton truck and the 20 ft trailer can be added to this cost but don't tell anybody.