MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-07-04, 20:16

Default Lock washers

Hi
Does anyone know of a source for the lock washers used on GMC CCKW's and US Dodge trucks which were supposed to aid radio noise suppression? I can't find anyone here in the UK who makes them,I'm thinking of going into the prospect of having them made to order but I guess this will cost£££.

Any help would be great!
Old 25-07-04, 21:12

Hi Matt
These washers are available here in Canada from regular hardware suppliers. I have a catalogue for one company at work and I can bring it home tomorrow night and scan the washer pages if you like.
Barry
Old 26-07-04, 17:31

Default Washers...???

Pardon my ignorance but what kind of washers are those???

....is that the star shape lock washers.... real sharp upturned edges that would cut into the metal and insure good ground???? very popular in the old radio assembly but much smaller.

I have seen large ones.....some are cut with the teeth inside some have the teeth outside.... and some special ones actually have 4 square sides and are used on the sheet metal of Dodge Power Wagons...... on the Powerwagonforum someone had some square ones manufactured and was selling them to rebuilders......

I don't think I have seen one of those on my cab 11......

Bob
Canada
Old 26-07-04, 20:00

Default Star washers

Bob

they are called star washers here in the UK, as Matt says they are all over Dodge and GMC, CMP however use the good old single coil spring washer in UNF/UNC sizes

Matt

If you identify a source for star washers both internal and external toothed my son David would be interested in a whole range of sizes for his WK60

Regards

Pete
Old 27-07-04, 00:56
Richard Notton

Default Re: Star washers

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
If you identify a source for star washers both internal and external toothed my son David would be interested in a whole range of sizes for his WK60
http://www.allfix.co.uk/
Have imperial internal and external star washers, plus every imperial fastener you'd ever need.

Ordering imperial stuff, especially BSF and Whitworth, on the net using the personal credit card is just one of the various duties of the Ballards' Signals Clerk.

R.
Old 27-07-04, 21:50

Default Thanks!!

Thanks all for the info.I will order some and see how they match up to the originals I have.if hey are a good match I'll order the million or so I need for my trucks,if not I'll look into getting them made in the correct sizes for GMC and Dodge.

Pete,on my D-15 there are no US type lock washers anywhere,I was wondering if they were indeed used on David's truck?
Matt.