MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 13-12-07, 22:05
Blitzed

Default 40mm Bofors on oz ebay

Not everyday you see one of these for sale. Lots of post war mods to it. Also comes with 104 40mm rounds.
No connection with the seller.
link:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1940-40mm-MK-...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010356.jpg (60.8 KB, 497 views)
Old 13-12-07, 22:06
Blitzed

Another view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010341.jpg (46.0 KB, 461 views)
Old 14-12-07, 06:17
Armour Owner x 3

Default Re: 40mm Bofors on oz ebay

Quote:
Originally posted by rynoki
Not everyday you see one of these for sale. Lots of post war mods to it.
AND it is a powered one, which are the bees knees of Bofors.

Rather tatty, but looks mostly there and restorable.

Regards
Doug
Old 16-12-07, 17:35

It seems to be a 40mm AA No. 12, better known as the Bristol Bofors. After the War the Bristol Aeroplane Company was awarded a contract to modify a number of wartime Bofors guns. These entered service with the British Army in the late forties or early fifties.

The modifications consisted of the installation of electric motors, batteries and control gear to enable the gun to be traversed and elevated by simply moving a "joystick". A reflector sight was fitted, and now the gun had only one layer. It could only be traversed/elevated on power and no provision was made for manual control.

A rack was fitted for 'ready at hand' ammunition, and the loader was provided with a guard rail to steady himself during sudden movements of the mounting.

A small petrol-engined generator ( J.A.P engine ) could be fitted on the back of the loading platform to charge the on-board Ni-Fe batteries.

This example seems to be very complete and restorable, though the traversing motor is missing ( should be bolted on to the flange beneath the control gear on the right hand side of the mounting).

The shells are probably unused and unfilled, still fitted with the plug to keep the interior clean. The markings would be applied after filling, to denote what type of explosive it then contained.

I hope someone saves it.
Old 17-12-07, 01:20
Armour Owner x 3

Default Bofors

Godwin

Many thanks for the background info on the version of Bofors.

Until your email, I had never seen anything in print about
the powered version.

Regards
Doug
Old 10-01-08, 13:48

Hi to the Group. I have aquired this Bofor...in fact it will be delivered tomorrow. I am planning a full ground-up restoration.
We are extremely busy with retorations and there never is enough hours in the day!
The latest project finished was 3 X 1910 75mm Krupp Cannons...thousands of hours. Cheers until I have the "new toy". Jon.
Old 10-01-08, 15:25
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Gregg
Hi to the Group. I have aquired this Bofor...in fact it will be delivered tomorrow. I am planning a full ground-up restoration.
We are extremely busy with retorations and there never is enough hours in the day!
The latest project finished was 3 X 1910 75mm Krupp Cannons...thousands of hours. Cheers until I have the "new toy". Jon.
Welcome to MLU ..This is the best world wide information site on everything..
We try to stick to old military stuff but nothing is off limits..as far as I know..and we have enough moderators to enforce the rules..which are few..Stick around,,post lots and pix will get you cheers from all the MLU junkies.
Again..Welcome aboard..
Alex

Old 10-01-08, 21:34

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jon Gregg
[B]Hi to the Group. I have aquired this Bofor...in fact it will be delivered tomorrow. I am planning a full ground-up restoration.

Hi Jon,

Good for you!!!

If the motor which seems to be missing in the photos does not turn up let me know as I might be able to help.

By the way, did you secure the shells as well?

I also have the drill book for this model, but I'm afraid it won't help much with restoration. But if you intend to use the bofors for reenactments the information would come in handy.
Old 11-01-08, 04:50

Hi Guys, Thank you for your warm welcome. The Bofors arrived today and the Traverse Motor is missing..pinched recently along with the three small brass switch position plates. safe/single/auto. These shouldn`t be a problem as I have a Pantograph. The front levelling ram insert is also missing along with the Gun`s buffer. The Barrel and spring have a small Oxy cut...I maybe able to locate a suitable replacement.
The Bofor is a No.12 made at the Otis Fensom Plant 1942 Serial 8032 with usual Bristol modifications. There is a lot of surface rust apparent albiet very light. The Electrics are in amazingly good condition with all the wiring/solenoids/switches present..short of the Trav. Motor.

The shells did come with the Gun., appears to be around 100 or so. They have the plugs and are lightly rusted and I`m pretty sure that a light bath of dilute Phosphoric Acid should fix that problem. It`s interesting to note that they were made at Woodville GMH Holdens plant less than 2 miles from where I grew up.
An hour after the Bofors turned up, three Oerlikons 20mm all uncut. I`ll be a busy boy for a while yet.
Regarding Manuals I`ll take any I can get my hands on.Pricing & Post ? then I`ll remit.

Thanks again Chaps. Regards Jon.