MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 28-08-13, 02:20
Brian Asbury

Default Drain an Iltis gas tank

I want to drain the old gas in my Iltis; can't seem to find a drain plug. Nothing mentioned in the manual. Do I have to pull up the floor boards to access the top of the tank?
... Brian
Old 28-08-13, 03:18
carrier mech

You can pull the two layers of floorboards and do it through the sending unit hole, or you can just pull off the hose at the fuel pump underneath and let it drain there. That will get 95% or better. We used to do it that way when we got the fuel/water mixture that Winwright used to issue for gasoline when on ex. Once we filled the drain pans, we would pour the gasoline back into a jerry can, leaving the water in the drain pan. Usually worked just fine, although it took a little prime to get the carb to work through it's water collection.

If you do pull the sending unit, and find those pesky explosafe balls still floating around in there, do yourself a favor and remove them. We had instructions to do that during maintenance procedures on the tank as far back as around the mid 90s.
Old 28-08-13, 06:01
Brian Asbury

Default Draining gas

Thanks Rob, I'll tackle the job tomorrow and didn't want to overlook an obvious solution.