MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-04-08, 07:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
And then there is the old discussion,never ending..which part of the chevron on the tire should hit the ground first??..the open end..or the pointed end...or the point on the front and the open end on the back...???
I see yours all have the point hitting the ground first..
Would anyone wish to settle this discussion once and for all..??
Only what the Ford and Chev Manuals say on the subject:
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrons Ford.JPG   Chevrons Chev.JPG  
Old 20-04-08, 19:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Tire Rotation......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Only what the Ford and Chev Manuals say on the subject:
Tony...
I was trying to be nice to Mike and tell him to read his manual and put his tires on the right way...

Old 20-04-08, 19:56
Addicted to Drab

Default Tire rotation

AS we all know there are many "schools of thought" given to what is the right shade of OD and did they use gasoline to cut paint and do weavels wobble....This is particularly true of "those tires that won't fit"....now that we know that, yes Martha they Do fit...and the fact that they are considered "directionals" with an arrow to boot, and considering when and where one will have the inclination to rotate their tires to include the spare, afterall we don't want to incurr "push-pull" on our diffs with tires that are not the same circumference. I would suggest that although the manuals have decided this and that....no matter what direction the v hits the ground the tires will in effect roll if placed on edge rather than flat like some seroid bound Icelandics who consider tires not only poorly engineered but damn heavy?? So for those who wish and suppose that my tires are on wrong....I will give you an updated picture after my first rotation of all tires....say next year sometime? They will then follow the notion that the inverted V will make them last longer. At least for a year until next rotation.

Make no mistake I take all your opinons with a wink and a smile and enjoy a good torment and sh-- chucking...after all "you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke"!

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk from sunny Windsor Ontario....
Old 20-04-08, 21:02
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Tony...
I was trying to be nice to Mike and tell him to read his manual and put his tires on the right way...

He'll have to put his wheels on inside-out now...
Old 21-04-08, 03:40

Default Duh!!!!! what ham eye gonna do.....

.... I have NO spare on my cab 11....... how will I rotate....side to side or criss cross...... so let's see at 3000 miles per year every second year my tires will be on right...... that should last me.... hell I will never last that long.

BooB
PS.... Thanks for the nice card Mike..... Joyce thinks you are super guy!!!!
......we know better...!!!
Canada
Old 21-04-08, 17:24
Addicted to Drab

Default Clam shells on back burner.....

Sometimes there are just too many diversions....ah the spice of life.

Here are a couple of shots of what has got may attention for the next little while....Picked it up (dragged it up) with the use of a come-a-along and some rope....quite easy actually. Since it was laying on the ground after a slight tug from the truck. Just a matter of standing it on end and letting gravity and a bit of purchase do the trick. I am sorry I did not bring the camera....but here it is in the driveway at home. The neighbours think my wife is a saint.....I KNOW she is.

cheers for now.....
Mike Timoshyk from Sunny ahhhhh Windsor Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
box.JPG   P4190083.JPG   P4190084.JPG   P4190085.JPG   P4190086.JPG  

Old 21-04-08, 17:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post
Make no mistake I take all your opinons with a wink and a smile and enjoy a good torment ...after all "you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke"!

Mike Timoshyk from sunny Windsor Ontario....
That's Navy Talk coming through, we're deadly serious here on MLU.

(Snigger, Chortle!)
Old 21-04-08, 18:54

Default Are there any goodies left?

Quote:
Here are a couple of shots of what has got my attention for the next little while....
Mike, are there any good looking parts left at your secret source or did you clean out the pot of gold. As much as Bob is looking for 2B1 bodies as parts and/or patterns, I would be interested in finding a good 2C1 or later body (or enough parts to make one).
Grant
Old 21-04-08, 21:40
Addicted to Drab

Default The Champ.....

For those of you who follow "The Champ".

Well anyway my wife and I were standing by the truck after just recovering the CMP box from a back yard when along comes the neighbour with a beer in his hand and he stops and looks in the direction of my wife and the truck and says "hey Champ!" "nice box"....now I know the old cauliflower ears aren't as good as they used to be and I still have the occasional ring from too many bells so I says....hurumpf...I beg your pardon....and the neighbour says again hey Champ NICE BOX....Well, I LOOSE IT...I SNAP...I grabs the tin of Coors Light from his hand and I give him a silver bullet to right temple, then a quick flurry to the solar plexis and an old upper cut for good measure...he's layin there with a pull tab sticken out of his forehead and I look down at him.....yaaaaa nice box I says....

http://www.thechamp.com/audio.html

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk from Windsor Ontario

Hi Grant....sorry nuthin left...but will keep an ear to the ground for you.

Last edited by Mike Timoshyk; 22-04-08 at 04:01.
Old 22-04-08, 02:34
Addicted to Drab

Default The Box....

Not a rubic's cube and not too much to do to bring it up to snuff.

I am quite pleased. having done a thorough going over there are only a couple of spots that really need attention. It should be relatively easy to patch and weld. I realize that the wheel wells need attention...interestingly they used the original pieces of the wells to patch and fill in...sooooo with a little bit o grinding and careful cutting I should be able to utilize the original pieces. nuff for now.....

cheers

Mike Timoshyk in sunny Red Sky at Night ...sailor's delight...Windsor Ontario

BTW there are 2 meanings to the previous
Attached Thumbnails
P4200088.JPG   P4200089.JPG   P4200090.JPG   P4200091.JPG  
Old 22-04-08, 21:40

Default Provenance.....

Hi Mike

Was your box one of those that were welded end to end to make al arger grain box/trailer....?

Any specualtion as to the intent or origin of that perfectly round hole shown in the picture.

Final question..... I found a source for the 3M BODY PANEL CEMENT/GLUE..... the two tube version with removable tips...... $75....a pair.........BUT... BUT... they want $470 dollars for the special gun to use the twin tub pack......

I don't remember you telling us you parted with that much money for your mixing gun....... enlighten me!!!!

BooB
Canada
Old 22-04-08, 22:18

Default Alternate source for the twin tube gun

Consider looking at construction supply houses. Similar 2 tube guns are used for dispensing and mixing structural epoxy for anchoring rebar in concrete and crack injection. I don't recall seing such guns at Home Despot or Rona, but CRS or Len Murray might have them
Old 22-04-08, 22:55
Addicted to Drab

Default twin tube gun...

Bob,

Don't believe the guy....I can see 47$ or 74$ but man someone needs attention.

If you want a gun let me know and I will buy one for you here...I will send to you and you can fix me up later.

yes it appears to have been welded at the tail gate....the tail gate attachments for the hinge portion are missing which leads me to believe it was a grain car or some other farm thingy...as for the round hole which no longer exists what it was for is anyones guess....I believe it was protection against worm holes....after all the box is still in this dimension...so it must work. Well I have to go and get some more strawberry Jam for my tin foil hat....those micro waves are everywhere...

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk from the Southern Quadrant....
Old 23-04-08, 03:55

Default What Brand....??

Hi Mike

the 3M guys must be nuts.... or did not want to sell to me....and I didn't want to buy from him.... his outfit had been referred to me by a large body shop which uses the stuff. Claims it is so strong that they are not suppose to use it when replacing quarter section as it will reduce the crush-ability of the body panel in subsequent collision.

What brand name was your glue and gun...???? I got to look some more..?

Bob Unglued!!!!!
Canada
Old 24-04-08, 03:33

Default Solutions......

Grant did some searching.....

Found Speedy Grip at $58 a double tube.....compared to 73 for 3M and a special gun for the double tubes at $92........all stock half a block away from the 3M idiot......

Now to try it.........

Heads up..... my local fabricator... metal shop.... tells me the price of steel is expected to jump by 30 to 50% before Summer due to shipping (fuel) costs....

...... he tells me metals quotes that he gets for projects are only good for 24 hours......

Got a 6 inch x 2 U channel 78 1/4 inch long for the cab 11 bumper.... $44.00

Boob
Canada
Old 26-04-08, 20:37
Addicted to Drab

Default a man and his box...the continueing storrrrrrry

Been a week since I retrieved the box....got it off the truck...taught a friend a few simple welding techniques and prepped the box for the next 75 years.

I am using the POR 15 system. Did a light grind with a 36 grit sanding disc and washed the bottom of the box with Marine cleaner to remove any grease n stuff. Then I washed it with a mixture of Phosphoric acid and Zinc Phosphate. Washed that off and hit the box with POR 15 by brush. I let it cure for a few days and today I hit it with a coating so that it will accept the Light Stone 61 paint. Once it is painted on the bottom I will put it on the frame and finish off the box restration. I will not put the wheel wells in for now. There will be 5 1/2 inches of clearance for the big 10.50s. The truck is now in the garage and I will be attending to the "finer bits". I hope to have it on the road before I leave for Quebec City in the last week of June. I will be away till 20 August. Hopefully the CMP gods will smile on me during the next few weeks.

Hey Chris....any word on the tailgate?

cheers

Mike Timoshyk basking in Sunny Windsor
Attached Thumbnails
P4210093.JPG   P4250099.JPG   P4250098.JPG   P4250097.JPG  
Old 27-04-08, 08:02

Default CMP Spare Tire Carrier

Hi Mike I made a endgate for Gordon In Yellowknife for the same box that you have .you can aske hime how he likes it .I copied mine and it's better than mine as mine has a few dints in it .George
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 03-05-08, 00:03
Addicted to Drab

Default Boxing Day...

As the title suggests....today was a landmark day...I have sat 'round the problem of trying to get the box from its position on end to sitting comfortably on the rails...so to speak. Phase one....let gravity do the work...so....like a good ol BC lumberjack...down she went...sitting on the gravel made shifting it to the correct departure angle quite easy with the use of the come-a-long. A few furrows later I attached the engine hoist and using the come-a-long attached to the frame crossmember above the transfer case I started inching the box up and along....quite easy actually. Once on the frame I placed 2 steel rods for ease of movement once the laws of gravity were overcome. The rods will stay in place for the moment allowing me to move the box when the time comes to attach the front section. The distance between the box and the frame caused by the steel rods will also allow me to place thick rubber down before tightening the box down to the frame.

cheers for now from Thunderstormy Windsor Ontario

Mike Timoshyk Time for some wine....
Attached Thumbnails
P4250099.JPG   P5010121.JPG   P5010120.JPG   P5010122.JPG  
Old 03-05-08, 00:06
Addicted to Drab

Default Boxing Day PS

I didn't get a pic of the box with a coat of the Light Stone 61 on the bottom but I did paint it before the evolution....

mike
Attached Thumbnails
P5010123.JPG   P5010124.JPG   P5010125.JPG   P5010126.JPG  
Old 03-05-08, 00:07
Addicted to Drab

Default Boxing Day .....impatient....

Had to get a shot with the bows on.....
Attached Thumbnails
P5010127.JPG   P5010128.JPG  
Old 11-05-08, 04:13
Addicted to Drab

Well, I have the engine in the truck...unfortunately the casting on the water pump that forms the engine mount has broken....soooo I have to purchase another water pump....meanwhile here are some pics of the plant going it...

closer, ever closer...

cheers

Mike Timoshyk in Windsor Ontario....
Attached Thumbnails
P5090129.JPG   P5090132.JPG   P5090133.JPG   P5090131.JPG   P5090134.JPG  

Old 12-05-08, 03:57
Addicted to Drab

With it being mother's day and all, I spent more time with my sweetie than with my other "woman". Mind you I did get a little garage time in...after all...if you ignor them they get cantankerous....so there was a little progress to expose to those who may be interested. I don't know if I will meet my self imposed timeline of road-worthy my the end of the month but I am giving it a try....I am now wiring for "flash-up". First turn of the screws should be by Wed or Thursday. I have the morning watch so it will be up to me to light the furnace.

Cheers from wet Windsor Ontario

Mike Timoshyk....the count down is on.....

BTW still looking for two 20in CMP rims and one 16in for my Ford.
Attached Thumbnails
P5100136.JPG  
Old 17-05-08, 19:37
MLU Administrator

Mike,

I am really enjoying your series of DIY restoration of your F15A. With DIY I mean you prove one can restore a truck within a restricted space and with limited tools (some of the guys here have huge sheds, cranes, blast cabinets, paint booths etc. )
Quote:
I will not put the wheel wells in for now. There will be 5 1/2 inches of clearance for the big 10.50s.
For comparison, attached goes a pic of a C15A here in Holland without wheel wells, it's been driving around like this for years.

Keep up the good work!
Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
P1020126 resized.JPG   P1020119 resized.JPG  
Old 24-05-08, 19:05
Addicted to Drab

Default a few days away....

first off, thanks Hanno for your comments. Much appreciated.

I have the engine in...it turns over and I am waiting impatiently for a new distributor cap... The spark is intermittent. Have a new capacitor and power all the way to the points. Coil is good...sooooo now I wait for the mail.

I am now ready to register my truck. This will present a few problems. First off there was no data plates with it and I could not find a serial number on the frame. The rear Pintle has been added from another vehicle and the engine serial number is 110971. The transmission has been replaced at one time and there is no serial number on it. So, I have two options....utilize a number that is close to the manufacture year of the truck or....make up a vin and stamp it on the frame. I would prefer to use a number that would closely match a vehicle made in 1942 considering the accoutrements on the truck. Any suggestions out there and any assistance would be much appreciated.

cheers

Mike Timoshyk in sunny Windsor Ontario
Old 24-05-08, 19:18
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Don't know what the procedure is up there but if one doesn't have a clear title (only a bill of sale) the licensing bureau here in Arizona assigns their own vin number. What you can do though is to have the actual year, model, and maker shown on the title you receive.

Regards,
Jim
Old 21-06-08, 23:24
Addicted to Drab

Default First Run...out of the garage

While everyone is attending CC7 I was very busy getting prepared to travel to Quebec City tomorrow. I burnt the midnight oil to get the truck ready to move on its own so I could fill the garage with 2 jeeps and a motorcycle. The truck will sit under the temporary shelter. After a few heartstoping moments the engine is now purring like a kitten. There is about 1 hour on the engine so I did not take it on the road but did move it up and down the driveway. All the guages are working and still have a couple wiring runs to get all the lights done. OOPs the boss is calling me for supper...here is one pic...more later.

Mike Timoshyk in Windsor Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
P6200197.JPG  
Old 22-06-08, 00:29
Addicted to Drab

Default out of the barn....

As mentioned in my last thread...there was quite a heartstopping moment when we flashed up the engine...it was done in the garage with no exhaust system and the inital start filled the garage with smoke...should have looked funny seeing two guys waving their arms and heading out into the fresh air.
We could not get the baby to idle....so apart came the carb and a check that all was in order. Back on and it was noted that we were starting it at full throttle....dough! With the engine and the noise we could not hear the clunk....yes I said clunk. We got it idling and you could hear it plainly...but no, it was not a connecting rod...well it was, but it was contacting the bottom of the oil pan. The pan was dinted slightly and just enough for the contact. sooooo off pipes....drain oil...had to be done anyway....with all the fuel dilution trying to get it to fire intially. Take out the dent...weld the score mark made by the con rod contact and put it all in place...the pipe arrive for the muffle and chicken wired it in place....ahhhhhh the quiet purr of a flathead...one of the pics shows Geoff and his son who helped in the shifting of vehicles today. The truck would not be ready if it were not for the help and guidance that Geoff has provided these past few weeks....thanks again Geoff. (he owns a F60)

from Thunderstorm Alley, Windsor Ontario

Mike Timoshyk
Attached Thumbnails
P6200195.JPG   P6200198.JPG   P6200194.JPG  
Old 10-09-08, 10:04
Addicted to Drab

Default back at it after 10 week hiatus

Hi folks,

It has been a long summer away from bustin' knuckles 'n turnin wrenches but I have managed to get back in the saddle...so to speak. Unfortunately I was unable to join you all at CC7 and BB3 and I will miss the Kingston get together... I will be on the ranges warming up a few barrels and spending some of the Queens purse.

Here are a few photos of my progress.

cheers

Mike Timoshyk in Sunny Windsor Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
P9080225.JPG   P9080222.JPG   P9080224.JPG  
Old 18-09-08, 02:44
Addicted to Drab

Default GS Box rear panel

Hi Folks,

I have a request for those who have a GS Box for a 15cwt.

I am fabricating the rear panel and need detailed photos of how it was attached to the rear of the box. As well I need an inside and outside shot of the corner where the angle iron is...mine will be bolted on.

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have searched through numerous sites and looked in many reference books but can't find a close up for detail.

Cheers from sunny Windsor Ontario...

Mike Timoshyk

here are pics of my box
Attached Thumbnails
P4190086.JPG   P5010126.JPG  
Old 20-09-08, 07:38

Default CMP Spare Tire and Tool Box

I can send you pictures of mine ,also of the endgate I made for this box . I would comment about your channels under the box .They are upside down as compared to mine .This is for holding a wood spacer between the box and the truck frame . About the price of steel .They just crushed 2800 cars in the fifties and 400 pickups in the 60-70"s where I live They were shredded and it went to china so keep your toys close to home . George
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank