MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-10-13, 15:03

Guys,

interesting to see all these suggestions and options to fit the larger blokes in a cab 11/12. I guess with my C8 the problem might be even more difficult as I think the steering boxes has a fixed angle, so adjusting the support on the dash wouldn't work without also changing the angle of the steering box itself (?)

By the way.....what about a different steering wheel? Does anyone know of a steering wheel with a slightly smaller diameter and a design/look close to the original? Maybe even one with a different boss in the centre which already raises the steering wheel???? Wishfull thinking?

Alex
Old 30-10-13, 18:26

Default I just notice something

Hi All

I just noticed that we have been talking about both FORD and CHEVY Pattern 11/12s interchangeably and though close they are not identical.

Alex raises an interesting idea in extending the steering tube 1 or 2 inches might be a solution. With the replacement steering boxes sold for the US trucks of this vintage that is what they tell you to do cut the shaft and remove the outer tube and weld the new box on to the old steering tube.

While I would not rush into cutting the shaft, I would really consider mocking it up by removing the steering wheel and moving it out 1 or 2 to see if that solves the knee clearance issue.

Another alternative, just went to see the orthopedic surgeon about my knees this morning and in the course of things they discovered that I was 2 1/2" shorter than I was 20 years ago. So maybe just wait until you shrink enough to fit. Naw that's a bad idea you would miss out on too much fun driving these things.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 30-10-13, 18:44

Default Extending the shaft...

Should be a fairly easy process and can be tried out in gradual steps.

Outside tube can be cut and a overriding sleeve easy enough to make. similarly the inner shaft can be cut and sleeved.... a tight fit would allow to slide the try various lenghts before deciding if it is worth welding both components to a permanent setting.

How about totally modifying the tube/shaft with hot rod steering Ujoint that
would eliminate any needs for spacer/wedges...?

In my mind first prize goes to our friend in Texas who converted his F8 to a Ford C6 automatic transmission ......... he was determined to drive it.

For me diet and age shrinkage is within easy reach!!!!

Bob C
Canada
Old 29-11-13, 20:12

I was just browsing Clive's awesome factory photos CD once again and found this picture.....a Chev Cab12 with what seems to be an adjustable steering column with two wingnuts(?).....
Attached Thumbnails
Adjustable.jpg  
Old 29-11-13, 22:28

Default amazing

The tilt steering wheel is a 70 year old idea, just like the radiator over flow tank is a 70 year old idea. Marvelous how the auto industry reinvents these new ideas.
Old 22-03-16, 01:27

I just noticed something interesting in the C8 parts list....it seems there were two different size brackets to support the steering tube!

According to the manual the early bracket is 6-1/8" long (5801166) and the late type is 5-1/8" long (5804054). This would change the angle of the steering shaft and as the C8 has a fixed steering box angle, the bracket securing the steering box to the chassis also has to change......and it does...the manual also mentions two different brackets.

It's funny what you come across when looking for something else....I was only trying to find a new rubber bushing for the steering column/bracket!

Alex

edit: just checked...I have the late type bracket 5804054 in my C8

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 23-03-16 at 22:35.