MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 25-08-24, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakko Westerbeke View Post
Sounds like you’re doing it right, then (Unlike someone I know who paints his vehicles in whatever shade of military green he likes.) It’s just that the way you said it made me think you used the USAAF colour on a ground vehicle, which is something a lot of modellers do because they’re confused about olive drab, and model paint manufacturers are too.
I have found many shades of green on parts for mine!

Hard to know if the original paint the original colour, or faded, or added post ww2.

If there is a definite answer, it would be great to know... in the meantime, I will start with US Olive Drab for the 1944 period on the basis this is most likely the colour it left Chrysler with.

Tim
Old 25-08-24, 15:58

Tim , for yours it is different again , yours is rebuilt by Chrysler again after it has been in used for training in the US. So has already had 2 coats before it arrived for conversion in the UK , but the post war paint didn`t stick that well on yours either , so the markings where readable again , mine had untouched paint behind the air cleaners , and inside the grouser box, i have 2 drivers hatches NOS , and they match that color.
Old 25-08-24, 18:32

Maurice. It doesnt matter what colour we paint our vehicles... someone will always say it is wrong! Good to know you have a paint match to work from for yours.
Old 25-08-24, 20:11

There is also the debate on which parts of 17-pounder Shermans were repainted in the UK. According to some, the whole tank was resprayed SCC 15, while others claim only the British bits were.¹ Because SCC 15 is a similar colour as OD No. 9 but slightly greener, and the two weather differently, if only parts were repainted, then the tank would soon end up looking greenish brown with clearly greener parts on it.

¹ The gun, gun shield, radio box, loader’s hatch, stowage bins, spare track racks, smoke launchers, sun compass mount, tie-downs on the left turret front, fire extinguisher holders, and brackets for the gun cleaning rods (did I miss anything?) — but on a Sherman IC not the appliqué armour on the hull!
Old 25-08-24, 21:45

Jakko, on the HMVF forum I posted a long time a go a picture from the T number , the tank was delivered with a big white star on the side , but this was overpainted in the same color as the tank before putting the T number over it , but the black shipping number was not over painted
Old 26-08-24, 11:20

The white star would have been there from the factory, the Americans were very keen on painting them on there. It recently came up on Missing-Lynx that the British ordered large quantities of American OD paint in 1943, most likely for touching up American vehicles. Chances are, I would say, that they used some of that to overpaint the stars on your tank. But did they then paint the 17-pounder modifications with that same paint or with British OD (=SCC 15)?
Old 26-08-24, 13:18

Jakko the mods like where the extra loaders hatch was welded in is first painted with red oxide and over it od, couldn’t see difference in collor. Interior is different matter, all 75mm stuff torched out, and new stuff put in, and with everything in sprayed white, so between boxes there is nothing. And both my Shermans have no primer inside, just satin/matt white, on period pictures you can see a lot of pencil writing on the white paint.i got the same matt paint in the interior , it stains quicly, so that is maybe because other people paint theirs gloss. But them again I got nos bits which are sprayed gloss.
Old 26-08-24, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Donckers View Post
the mods like where the extra loaders hatch was welded in is first painted with red oxide and over it od, couldn’t see difference in collor.
The same colour as the deepest layer of OD on the tank? If so, that would be a good indicator that at least Sherman ICs weren’t overpainted completely.
Old 29-08-24, 10:15

Unbelievable what a wealth of info is to be found in the heritage Canada files!

Maurice, well done on the Ic; hope to see it in person in the next few weeks.

Alex