MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-03-09, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
If it is not raining ..............
If it is wet and miserable ............... circling the wagons and skulking under truck tarps and whatever else will keep the rain off...............but be prepared to put on a rain coat and make the best of it if it rains.

Lang,

Think positive..........it will not rain. In 2004 we had a good week, think it might have rained on one day only.

Mind you I will take waterproofs...just in case.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 26-03-09, 01:31

This is the photo Bev took a couple of months ago when I flew over Port en Bessin.

My proposed picnic spot is on the hill to the left above the red fuel cap on the wing.

Main cafe section is on the right hand side of the river along the waterfront and back into a couple of the nearby streets. You can see there is plenty of room for vehicles if we spread around a little.

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
NormPortenBessin.JPG  
Old 26-03-09, 02:27

Hello All,

Me and a group of about twenty Canadian HMVs owners let us be going belong to Bernieres-sur-Mer in next june. Near the beaches of Bernieres, a WWII Canadian military camp will be set up by Belgian and French re-enactors and they'll be there with their HMVs. During the activities of june 6th, we expect to be more than 150 Canadians in this sector.

I hope that you will have a lot of pleasure to participate in the rememberance activities of the 65th anniversary of the D-Day of Normandy.

Cheers from Canada

Last edited by M38CDNBill; 26-03-09 at 02:37.
Old 26-03-09, 09:56
Bruce McCann

Default Get Together

Quote:
I suggest a good meeting point might be Port en Bessin. Not only is it the border between the American and British beaches but there are some great little restaurants we could organise. Plenty of room to park vehicles up near the sea wall.
I agree,as i will be staying in the ACCOR at Port en Bessin with my wife, we will have a civillian hire car, an will be cruisin to the camp at Etraham, would loveto catch a ride in any MV to various outings.

Bruce McCann
65th D-DAY
Old 27-03-09, 00:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I think the outside system is best because there are not a lot of places in the area that can cater to a big sit-down mob. Also, once you get seated at a small table you only really talk to 3 or 4 people all night. Outside you get to move around and talk to everyone.

I am happy to plan on a grassy picnic but be prepared to put on a rain coat and make the best of it if it rains. A simple solution to keep warm would be to change from beer to Calvados!
Lang,

Personally I opt for a car boot picnic type of meeting. Big problem in Normandy during that week will be to find a place to meet.

A group of Dutchmen is organising a British & Canadian living history camp at the Batterie de Longues at Longues-sur-Mer (see the map). Knowing the situation in 2004, their site would be suited ideally for our "MLU boot picnic". I will discuss the possibilities with the organiser. Big advantage of this location is we can arrange everthing in advance.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 27-03-09, 06:48

Hanno,

That is a good idea. Not as pretty as Port en Bessin but as you say, if they are already camped there it should be easy to organise. Just depends if you want the MLUers having their own gathering or going to a place where there will be lots of others joining the mob.

Lang
Old 27-03-09, 23:32

I am trying to find a camping spot for our tent, so as of yet I am not sure if I will be there, but here is my 2 cents..

Just like Lang I am a fan of the village of Port-en-Bessin, but I can only think it will be very crowded during the week of the D-day remembrance. Accessing the village on the East-side (the non-restaurant side) of the harbour could be a solution, but I guess the limited number of restaurants will make it difficult anyway. A pick-nic or BBQ would also be my choise......anyone wants to offer his CMP grill for the BBQ already?

I think Hanno's suggestion of a meet-up at Longues is an excellent one....the site is great and hopefully pretty quiet (public-wise) in the evening. However, can we access the site at night?....and also people with a non-MV vehicle, or will the site be closed for public with cars??? If I remember correctly the road to the battery has been turned into a one-way route....one "in" through the village, and one "out" on the outside of the village.

There also is a parking next to the Churchill AVRE in Graye-sur-mer...allthough this might be less attractive.

Alex
Old 28-03-09, 06:04

From my past experience there would be little problem using Alex's suggestion of the east side of the harbour at Port en Bessin - basically what I also suggested. The large sea-wall car park normally has few people on it later in the day and we can park down along the river and up the hillside street near the houses in the unlikely event we have to squeeze in. Only a hundred metres to walk across the lock gate to get pizzas, fish and chips, caviar sandwiches or whatever.

Just had another thought. What about a beach party? This would overcome any parking problems as even the two wheel drive vehicles can get up and down most of the ramps. Lots of places anywhere between the Omaha memorial and Arramanches.

Who has tide tables for the D-Day week?

Lang
Old 28-03-09, 07:08

Just got onto the French Tide sites. Unfortunately their tide stations are a long way apart.

For 6 June 09

Cherbourg
High 0840
Low 1400
High 2100

Deauville
High 1000
Low 1600
High 2200

Dieppe
High 1130
Low 1830
High 2400

Interpreting this North-East progression would make the tides in the Omaha - Arromanches sector:
High 0930
Low 1530
High 2130

If you want times for other days the tide marches forward about 20 minutes each day.

This is not bad for 06/06 as the beach will be usable for much of the day. Unfortunately only good for amphibians for a morning run unless you arrive at the crack of dawn and retreat with the rising tide.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 28-03-09 at 07:15.
Old 29-03-09, 06:11

Daylight times for 6 Jun 09 at Arromanches.

Twilight (first and last light) 0319 and 2247
Sunrise/sunset 0501 and 2105

Lang
Old 02-04-09, 09:25
Bruce McCann

Default D-day

Lang,
When do you leave to meet up with your vehicles ?

Bruce McCann
65-D-Day 2009

1944 mb
1952 Dodge M37
Old 02-04-09, 22:31

Bruce,

Our people leave Australia on or around ANZAC Day, spend the next week getting vehicles off the dock, then depart Istanbul 01 May. We expect to roll into the camp site at Etreham Normandy to join the Poms 01 June.

Lang
Old 16-04-09, 15:33

What about a meet on June 5th, in the evening? There is a big fireworks show at 11PM intended to light up 50 km's of coastline....fireworks will be set off from 25 different locations, including Port-en-Bessin, Asnelles, Arromanches and Longues-sur-Mer.
The illuminiation of Port Winston will also start on June 5th, untill June 11th.

http://www.normandiememoire.com/NM60...=0&rubrique=13

Should be great watching it all during a beer in Port-en-Bessin or Longues!

Alex
Old 16-04-09, 15:44
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
What about a meet on June 5th, in the evening? There is a big fireworks show at 11PM intended to light 50 km's of coastline....fireworks will be set off from 25 different locations, including Port-en-Bessin, Asnelles, Arromanches and Longues-sur-Mer.
Alex,

The fireworks show is fantastic, and should not be missed (one hardly can when within 10 kilometres within the coastline). However, as I suspect traffic will be severely curtailed, or at least heavily controlled, on 6 June, the 5th is not an ideal option. I have discussed to possibilities with the Dutch people setting up the British/Canadian camp at Longues, and they would opt for 3 June.

Therefore I propose to have an impromptu MLU / CMP / MCP / British Historic Military Vehicle meeting at
Date: Wednesday 3 June
Time: from 12:00 hrs onwards.
Location: Batterie de Longues at Longues-sur-Mer (see the map).

Please post a message here if this is a viable option for you - and please spread the word!

More details will be posted here if and when they become available.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 16-04-09, 16:01

Quote:
However, as I suspect traffic will be severely curtailed, or at least heavily controlled, on 6 June, the 5th is not an ideal option.
I agree, that was the only downside I could think of.

Regarding your proposal; 3 June would work for me.

Alex
Old 16-04-09, 19:31

... June 3rd fine with me as well.

I'm staying in Trèvieres with my brother...

PS Will the Dutch have a DUKW swimming ceremony again, like they did in 2004?

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 17-04-09, 02:31

Personally I would prefer 5 June to watch the fireworks but if we are going into someone elses camp and not a public place we have to make our arrangements around them.

Any night except 6 June (we have a ball at a chateau) should be good for the ANZAC group. I haven't talked to them but 4 or 5 members are also MLUers so we can add maybe another half dozen vehicles to the bunch.

Presume the cooks are allowed to come and it is not just a boys-only get together?

Lang
Old 17-04-09, 04:42
RIP

Any recommendations? I am flying in to either UK or France on 3 June. I have no plans and two weeks of leave.

As I will be coming in from Haiti I will not have a vehicle or reenactment uniform but don't want to get sidelined with the unwashed masses.I will not have any camping gear and don't know the geography well enough to book a room anywhere.

Guidance required!!
Old 19-04-09, 22:15

Hanno,
Not sure of the events planned by the MVT yet, but I'll say a definate YES to meeting on the 3rd of june. Don't know how many CMP's are coming over with the MVT, but I will certainly put the word around at Etreham !
Keith
Old 20-04-09, 06:44
Bruce McCann

Default Staying over

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Any recommendations? I am flying in to either UK or France on 3 June. I have no plans and two weeks of leave.

As I will be coming in from Haiti I will not have a vehicle or reenactment uniform but don't want to get sidelined with the unwashed masses.I will not have any camping gear and don't know the geography well enough to book a room anywhere.

Guidance required!!
Here is some guidance,Plan ahead

Really mate ,leaving it to now is not a wise move, Get on the internet and get cracking, Don't like your chances as 99% of things were booked out months ago, but good luck.

Bruce
Old 20-04-09, 13:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Versitile..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneymver View Post
Here is some guidance,Plan ahead

Really mate ,leaving it to now is not a wise move, Get on the internet and get cracking, Don't like your chances as 99% of things were booked out months ago, but good luck.

Bruce
Bruce..
Knowing a little of our own Servicepub,I am sure,while preferring ties and tails..he has been know to slither out from under a rock on occasion..and is very adaptive at being his own batman..and can dig a mean trench ..if need be...
I'm also sure ,while jumping into the fray..his Gracies and Barn training will be put to full use and he will be a survivor..once again..with many storys to pass on to the crowd back home at the Barn and Gracies..
A little recce guidance would be of the greatest assistance..and most appreciated..
Old 06-05-09, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Therefore I propose to have an impromptu MLU / CMP / MCP / British Historic Military Vehicle meeting at
Date: Wednesday 3 June
Time: from 12:00 hrs onwards.
Location: Batterie de Longues at Longues-sur-Mer (see the map).
... only 1 month left. Is the MLU meeting now confirmed on that Wednesday? The day would still be fine with me because I've found so far no special MV event on that day.

greetings
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 14-05-09, 23:09

Guys,
Just had the info from the MVT with reference to organised events leading up to and including the 6th of June.
On Wednesday 3rd June the MVT are proposing to go to Hill 112, with a convoy of vehicles for a wreath laying ceremony. However, as there are only a handful of CMP's coming over with the MVT from England, we should be able to hopefully divert those vehicles to Batterie de Longues,rather than the campsite, after this event.
Keith
Old 18-05-09, 18:04

I will try to join you June 3 as well. Will be in Normandy from June 2 - 8 with "captured" Kübelwagen and Beetle (as in 2004)

It is a very long time since my last visit here, nice to be back!
Old 18-05-09, 22:14

I'll probably won't make it as I plan to arrive on the 3rd.
Leaving the 2nd stopping near Amiens for the night and travel the rest off the way on the 3rd.

What time ends the meeting ?

Cheers,

Danny
Old 26-05-09, 22:05

Hello, we hope to see you the 3rd. only ,sorry, not with the CMP, but with our family car, the Dodge WC51...

Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 27-05-09, 09:18
Bruce McCann

Default France

I will try to attend the get together, I have travelled from Australia and am currently in England.
Will be headind to France this Sat, to meet up with Glen Cairncross also from Aust.
We will be heading up to Villiers, and surrounding areas, moving to Normandy around the 3rd .... so will try.
Will be staying in Port en Bessan from the 4th till 8th.
My number if anyone wants to catch up is +447789728452.

cheers
Bruce McCann

44 mb
52 M37
Old 31-05-09, 10:47

Default MV related events

... I wrote a little list for me with all the MV related events happening in Normandy. Found them all over the internet. No liabilities if something is wrong. It's a mixture of German, French and English...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Programm MLU.pdf (10.1 KB, 28 views)

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 03-06-09, 19:20

Default small meeting

Hi there

Greetings from Normandy. The MLU-meeting was quite small. Only Jim from Perth was there with his Blitz Signal van and Keith Orpin with his C30 LAAT. Have to say a little bit disappointing. Where has everybody been?

Greetings
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 04-06-09, 14:12
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemsi View Post
Hi there

Greetings from Normandy. The MLU-meeting was quite small. Only Jim from Perth was there with his Blitz Signal van and Keith Orpin with his C30 LAAT. Have to say a little bit disappointing. Where has everybody been?

Greetings
Chris
Disappointing indeed Chris, but there must be a reason! I know a couple of the lads weren't due to arrive until yesterday, and they could have been held up... it may be something similar for some of the others. Just stay visible, and make sure those you do run into have your cellphone number! Maybe you lads can get something going today or tomorrow...

Jif