MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-12, 22:40
[user name reset]

Default Vickers MK VIB

This was sold into the UK with another owned by Bert Barker. I would be keen to know where it ended up. I think the museum it was sold to went bust.

The frame on the side was for a target and the splotches are bullet strikes. It would be identifiable wherever it is now by all of those bullet indentations. the jacketed rounds penetrated quite a way into the Armour.

This vehicle was used by the NSW Armored corps . all those used in Victoria had Australian native bird names the ones used in NSW has marsupial names. This tank was Koala .

Vickers MK VI B.jpg
Old 01-11-12, 23:19

Gina,
They were brought back to the UK by Tony Budge, who had a large collection of vehicles, Koala is now in the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, externally restored. There was another brought back that was much rougher and cut about. It was restored in the UK for the Jacque Littlefield Collection in the USA, I was involved latterly doing the electrical work and instruments. In doing so I was able to identify it with info from Mike Cecil, to be Platypus. That one is now in full working order.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 01-11-12, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
This vehicle was used by the NSW Armored corps . all those used in Victoria had Australian native bird names the ones used in NSW has marsupial names.
Gina,
The wrong way around, it was the NSW unit (1st Light Tank Company) that had the bird names, and the Vic unit (2nd Light Tank Company) the marsupials. I have seen photographic evidence of these.

Old 02-11-12, 03:45

Just by chance, does anyone happen to know where there might be a turret lying around anywhere.
Colin.
Old 02-11-12, 18:35

...And the one at the Littlefield Collection looks excellent, too, although it is in British markings, not Australian, which is a pity from an Australian's perspective. I saw it a couple of months ago when I visited (again).

Can't say the AC1 they have looks good, though: the ex-Belfield tank is out in the weather, and weathering badly in the California sun, wind and rain. Such a waste.

Richard, I didn't know the other one ended up at Duxford: I'd have paid more attention to it when I visited. Have to put it high on the list for next time I'm there.

Mike C
Old 02-11-12, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
...And the one at the Littlefield Collection looks excellent, too, although it is in British markings, not Australian, which is a pity from an Australian's perspective. I saw it a couple of months ago when I visited (again).
Hi Mike,
Having done some research on this tank at the time, as you will remember, I was a bit puzzled that the owner wanted it painted to represent Northern France theatre 1939-40, especially having found photos of the actual vehicle in training in Vic. At least it has its correct numbers on it.

Out of the 10 tanks that went to Australia, 5 are known to still exist in some form or another (that includes Colin's!)

regards, Richard

Old 03-11-12, 02:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Jb

I was told that John Belfield had at least one, or maybe two of these . What happened to them ?
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad