MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-12-04, 11:09

Talking

Well, Miss Yappy, just makes sure he's big and beefy and handsome too so he can do all those leeeeetle jobs you can't do yourself eh!
Old 07-12-04, 19:24
Vets Dottir

Default Scot

MARY, actually, I think I prefer a Scot cheese slicer cleaner helper personal assistant My Scot blood I guess?
Old 07-12-04, 19:49
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Scot

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
MARY, actually, I think I prefer a Scot cheese slicer cleaner helper personal assistant My Scot blood I guess?
Gee MA YAPPY, your not to picky are you.....but the one thing your above mentioned PA won't be able to do for you is...., I'd better not go there.......
Old 07-12-04, 20:04
Maria

Smile I Wouldnt mind a Bit of Irish !

Hi Carmen and Mary,

Mary your thread was very interesting, and I agree with both of you, that a lot of todays problems, healthwise are to do with our rather poor diet, sure we have a lot of the good foods, then mess it up with a lot of the not so good eh?.
I have never tryed Soya milk, does it actually taste milky? I would like to try it, it amazes me how anything Organic in this country, is soo much more expensive :

Such is life I guess :

Carmen hope you are having more good then bad days
And Mary I should say the same for your DH, please tell me that it does stand for Dear Husband as you just wouldnt believe what I first thought

Old 07-12-04, 20:57
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Gee MA YAPPY, your not to picky are you.....but the one thing your above mentioned PA won't be able to do for you is...., I'd better not go there.......
Hmmmm ..... I have a feeling a frying pan won't be enough for the likes-n-spirit of you, you HBM-O (nasty buggar you! ) Little Miss Ma Yappy knows more than one way to skin... ooops .... do a little "like for like" ... payback time SHALL arrive. This DELIGHTS me no end. First thing I do AFTER I rip yore bluddy beard off is to see if I can strangle you with the hair from yore chinny chin chin. I shall then start on other parts, for I shall keep you alive enough for you to be a good husband and father and finish your Historian days and teach us what we don't know and gotta know about what you learn and know. NO?

MARK MY WORDS... OUR DAY WILL COME
Little Miss MA has a bright future to look forward to indeed ;D

(Hey Mark ... ... hope yore having a good day. Take care of yore eyeballs. I want you to see it coming )
Old 09-12-04, 22:40
Pops

Default my cure

Good'day Carmen

It has been interesting reading on the cures that some of our readers have come up with. Having suffering the same problem I have found that on bad days the best cure that I have found is to hop in the Ford blitz and go for a drive, if on return there are still some aches and pains I just put a smudge of gear oil on the aches and pains or even just under the nose and it all disappears.
The driving of and the thrill of this gets the adrenalin going and you foregt about the pain.

Another good one is to drive the bren carrier, but an audience is the most essential item there.

Max
Old 10-12-04, 00:26
Vets Dottir

Default MAX

Hi MAX, well, amd very sorry to hear you susffer some of the same problems, but amtotally happythat youenjoy someofthe same "cures" for the moments that I do. It's amazing what a little laughter and joy can do for the spirit ... and attention. All is a good shot when joy and laughter strike.

And I have this psychic premonition that I'll enjoy learning to drive, and actually driving, a CMP or two in my future. That should put a REAL smile of pleasure on Little Miss Ma face.

Another "joy" I look forward to is one day soon meeting Master Mark Tonner and Black Cadillacs Denise Tonner themselves ... and to just sit with Mark himself, and review my Uncle Eddie's service records and just ... listen to Mark. (Mark ... copies of everything are YOURS for the asking FINALLY! I'll bring the coffee and cigarettes!)

So ... many many things to learn and do in order to raise one level above ... pains of physical or other ... distractions.

Thanks Max ...
Old 10-12-04, 03:02
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: MAX

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
And I have this psychic premonition that I'll enjoy learning to drive, and actually driving, a CMP or two in my future. That should put a REAL smile of pleasure on Little Miss Ma face.
Perhaps you'd better get out there and practice driving on the LEFT like CMPs were designed to do. Doesn't matter what you borrow to drive, the important thing is to experience being on the correct side of the road.

Don't forget to anoint your head with CMP oil or grease every day.

And remember, CMPs have neither lighters or ashtrays to foul up either.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 10-12-04, 03:25
Vets Dottir

Talking Sufferin' ?

The road )duringnon FIRE seasons makes a great ashtray. Dust in the wind, and a tobacco offering to the Great Spirit as well. Like good Karma in the bank?

For fire season ... well hey, my bulk size coffee can works great

But KEEFY ... I fear, dreadfully, that should I drive on the LEFT, that I would auto-pilot left-coast that I tried SO hard to leave for SO many years. For I AM an OLD dog (though Master Sunray prefered to call me the "B" word whilst visiting ...(nothis fault,it just SLIPPED out ) and new tricks are a tad difficult.

IMHO ... I think it best for me to START with a drive on the RIGHT ...but not TOO FAR RIGHT as I would be in the ditch (been there, done that, tho NOT with a CMP... YET : ) and I'd be even MORE socially unacceptable should I visit the Left-Coast if I return too RIGHT for the likes O' theold home-town (whether it looks the same or not)

And by the way, have you eever met my friend BAILEYS? You realy SHOULD have drinking glasss available to moderate, as a sip here, and a sip there ... well ... you know what I mean?

SO...this little light o mine, I'm gonna let it shine on the road... not left... not too far right, but JUST right, and both CMP and myself, cigarettes included, shall survive, no matter WHOSE CMP I drive.

Arthritis? Eh? Whats THAT????

Hi Keefy

SENDS AND ENDS (this go round)
Old 11-12-04, 10:56

Hi Vets. Sorry can't tell you what the soy milk tastes like as I've never had it. The DH (yes Dear Husband, Maria, you were right, I'm too polite to put up the other definition especially on a male dominated board teeeeheeeee!) thinks it tastes OK. Not like regular milk of course but with the relief he gets from the aches and pains he's prepared to drink that instead of regular milk. Over here you can also buy soya cream (Trade name Provamel Soy Dreem) which I've tasted and it's not bad as a substitute. I think a similar product is available in the US but what the trade name is I've no idea but if it's available Stateside I'm sure you could get some too.
Old 11-12-04, 19:14
Vets Dottir

Default Soya stuff :)

Hi MARY,

Thanks regards the Soya Milk idea. i think we have stuff called "Soya Dream" here in Canada. I don't "drink" milk anymore. I do use a little cream in coffee as black coffee upseets the wee tummy usually.

I know Soy beans are loaded with protien and vitamins, and I actually used to do a soy protien mixture daily (tossed in other good things, including B-Complex vitamins and orange juice to make it pleasanter, and it had a overall general very healthy impact. At my worst health I was down to 83 lbs (meaning I'd lost 24 lbs rather quickly ... down from my usual 107 lbs. Too weak to spit, let alone chasing anyone with frying pans )

I'll thinking up some new daily "get fit" routines and exercises. I think a military type coach would do much to keep me motivated I HOPE this all helps ... am sure it will some. I realy DO feel amazingly better after months of being traditional heavy prescription meds. How come. eh? My doc has lost a fortune in steady income from me in required weekly visits and lab etc

My youngest daughter (21) will be very surprized when she see's me at Christmas. Hasn't seen me for a year since LAST Christmas ... she be the biggest feedback noticing the changes

So ... I know you "others" withrheumatoid arthritis problems are following this thread so I hope we keep it going with some things that help (and don't harm!) Life with chronic pain and discomfort ... is wearing and tiresome. Any improvements at all, especially when they don't empty the pocketbook, a plus.

Simple things:

Diet
Rest
Exercise
Fresh air
Positive people around you
MLU
Old 14-12-04, 20:54
Vets Dottir

Default HORSE LINAMENT!!!!

Gee ... I get into the most interesting conversations with strangers The Greyhound courier guy was just here to pick up some boxes and while he was taking a breather 9 he is in his mid-60's and was working alone )

We got to talking about rheumatoid arthritis and such ... a lady friend of his has this arthritis really severely. Sh got herself a horse for air and exercise and one day was rubbing down the horse with horse linament ... and suddenly realized "Oh my god ... I have absolutely NO PAIN!" The horse linament killed the pain coompletey!!! But I hear its pretty stinky-smelling and I don't know whats in the linament.

I figure its worth checking into to find out the ingredients and get a whiff ... but when pain is horrid, testing unconventional treatments and smelling bad can sometimes be worth the risk... and loss of companionship due to foul odor

MAKE MA YAPPY STRONG LIKE HORSE!!!!! Neigh neigh neigh
Old 14-12-04, 21:30
Maria

Thumbs up Horses eh?

Hi Carmen,

Nothing really surprises me about what can and does help certain conditions and if I had a really painful condition like yours, my friend I would rub MANURE
on the painful area`s if it did the trick.

A crazy thought I had once...yeah honest just the once ...would I lie to you ? :

So what is this idea :idea: what if sperm gave an instant facelift , men would become millionaires, mind you I should say, TIRED ONES

come on darling lets have another early night :love:

Give that horse liniment a try, Im sure it wont do you any harm, look at the horse

Old 14-12-04, 21:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Horses eh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Maria
[B]Hi Carmen,
A crazy thought I had once...yeah honest just the once ...would I lie to you ? :
Hmmmm, now you tell me. Didya and Wouldya and wouldya tell me if-n-how yadid or how often?

MA YAPPY
Old 17-01-05, 14:34
Vets Dottir

Default But we all know ...

But we also all know the power of MUSIC (sounds) to effect us ... a great example is the power of music on troops (just to keep this post in sync with MLU focus) to boost morale ... and energy to FIDO ... and yes, the key would be the emotional response which releases chemicals in the brain and body to change inner experience ... MUSIC is the best mood alterer I know!

Quote:
Emotional response to music can reduce pain: study Jan. 13, 2005

Provided by: Canadian Press

Written by: ROSS MAROWITS

MONTREAL (CP) - Even the head-bobbing beat of a hip-hop track can offer pain relief to the genre's fans, suggests a study on the analgesic properties of music.

Music has long been known to calm and relax. But a University of Montreal study suggests it doesn't merely provide a distraction from pain. It induces an emotional reaction among listeners that can diminish their pain by up to 15 per cent, the study found.

The impact reflects an individual's musical tastes. Jazz fans may be best soothed by the trumpet sounds of legend Miles Davis while classical aficionados may find comfort in an orchestral masterpiece.

"Our analyses showed that music the subjects liked had a significant effect on reducing their pain," said Mathieu Roy, 24, a doctoral student in neuropsychology.

Roy exposed 80 university students to pain by attaching hot electrodes to their forearms. Various levels of discomfort were applied while subjects listened to six pre-selected instrumental musical pieces.

The students said the pain diminished most in songs they liked and least when songs with harsh sounds were played or no music was played at all.

"We think that by having a better understanding of the way by which music influences pain, it might help to be integrated into the clinical setting," said Roy, who next wants to study the impact of music on brain activity.

Music therapy is just one of many efforts being undertaken to study non-pharmaceutical ways to help provide relief to the millions of Canadians who suffer chronic and acute pain.

"Pain is a silent epidemic," said Celeste Johnston, past president of the Canadian Pain Society and associate director for research at the McGill School of Nursing.

Canadians spent more than $2 billion last year on over-the-counter, herbal and prescription pain relief medication, say industry experts.

About 17 per cent of Canadians suffer chronic pain from such ailments as osteoarthritis, lower pack pain, fibromyalgia, migraines and menstruation. Up to half of hospital patients are exposed to moderate to severe discomfort.

Recent reports about the side-effects of COX-2 inhibitors like Vioxx and Celebrex and the addictive potential of OxyContin have spurred a public interest in alternatives, she said.

"People are starting to realize that they can't take a pill that's going to fix everything."

Researchers are also studying alternatives that were once considered taboo by the medical community, said Dr. Marc Ware of the McGill University Pain Centre.

"There is unlikely to be a magic bullet," he said in an interview. "The approach for chronic pain is likely to be multidisciplinary and indeed integrative."

In addition to drug therapy, alternatives include psychotherapy, relaxation techniques, physiotherapy, acupuncture, massage and yoga.

A study of 170 patients at the Montreal pain centre points to the alternatives people are seeking. About 35 per cent use nutritional supplements including vitamins, 11 per cent turn to massage, 7.2 per cent to meditation, 6.5 per cent to glucosamine and five per cent to cannabis.

While acupuncture was once considered experimental, recent studies confirm its usefulness for arthritis and migraines.

Ware said physicians need to ensure natural remedies don't interfere with prescribed drugs. But they also need to further study alternatives to ensure nothing is overlooked in the quest to help patients.

"With an aging population and with the demographics of our society, chronic pain is only going to continue to become a problem or to become a bigger problem, so we need to recognize it and tackle it," he said.
MOOD ... also has an amazing capacity to effect capacity for pain ... which we all know too I like to crank up some upbeat sounds/music when I do housework and I find I can actually get much done while listening ... pain is not SO painful.... it works for a while anyways! I think hospitals should have headsets and players for patients, even comatose, to listen to their favorite "music". I recall holding "Margaret's" hand, while she was comatose, talking and siinging to her while she passed and her spirit left her body ... I like to think that my presence and sounds made a difference to her (she passed away from extremely advanced lung cancer) I'll NEVER forget Margaret or that experience ... and now while my sister is going through the same process ... well ... my sister loves country music ... and meds just ain't good enough at this stage for her ... perhaps a llittle music can help ....

Herr Pear ... and others with chronic pain in here ... i hope you all spend time listening to music and note the difference in headspace? let me know your feelings on this

Speaking of music ... the doorbell chimes, more like church bells, just knocked me out of my seat a minute ago ... we all know the power of music to disturb as well LMAO

Note to Master Sunray: Please do NOT forget to buy MORE "DEPENDS" on the way home...

Karmen