MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-09, 01:34
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Scratched plastic..

Rob..
Use some of this polish on those windows..clean 'em up like new..I used to use it on my MC Helmet visor..I assume the windows are Plexiglas..If you are not sure of the material take a window into the plastic shop and get the right polish for it..They should clean up well..
http://www.rplastics.com/novuspolish.html
Old 12-03-09, 03:50
Mr. HUP

Default Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Rob..
Use some of this polish on those windows..clean 'em up like new..I used to use it on my MC Helmet visor..I assume the windows are Plexiglas..If you are not sure of the material take a window into the plastic shop and get the right polish for it..They should clean up well..
http://www.rplastics.com/novuspolish.html
Hi Alex, How are you faring? The windows on the 45 are all glass. The scratches on the HUP Opera window are not readily seen at ground level but you sure can see the scratches when you are in the HUP looking out. Nonetheless, she is looking more and more complete.

By the way, are you getting itchy for a Gracies Call??
Old 12-03-09, 15:40

Default Gracies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Hi Alex, How are you faring? The windows on the 45 are all glass. The scratches on the HUP Opera window are not readily seen at ground level but you sure can see the scratches when you are in the HUP looking out. Nonetheless, she is looking more and more complete.

By the way, are you getting itchy for a Gracies Call??
Hi Robb
I believe that polish will also work on glass..clean them up a bit get that haze off them anyway...worth an hours work with a buffing wheel..
Gracies..??
Anytime..make the call and I'll book the joint..
It's been a long time ...and spring is coming..gotta have a gather up soon..
maybe talk Wild Willy up from the depths...
Not a weekend..make it a week night..Friday nights work for me..

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 12-03-09 at 15:41. Reason: Spelling
Old 13-03-09, 06:23
Addicted to Drab

Default Gracies

I need....NEED a road-trip! I am overdo for a weekend out.

mike
Old 13-03-09, 15:41

Default A Fer-in-ner...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post

mike
Mike..
Name the date..we'll make Gracies happen..!!
Old 16-03-09, 14:41
Mr. HUP

Default Boxing Day at the Barn

As mentioned, I had some metal bent up for my HUP one gal POW can holders. Using the original example as our guide, Bob and I welded up the POW can holders on Sunday. The original was spot welded along the seams but since we don't have that capability, we drilled small holes and filled them in with weld. These were then ground down. The end product looked the part - we will weld on the hinges at a later date.

Old 16-03-09, 15:37
Mr. HUP

Default Other Activities at the Barn

At lunch, we discussed upcoming road trips and our wish list for the summer. We have a lot to plan out. Top of the list is to find parts for the Cab 11 and HUP. Grant, our resident philosopher came up with the observation that Bob was on a quest for “Dinosaur shit” while I was on a quest for “Rocking horse shit”… He isn’t wrong! After lunch we headed back to the barn for some more fun and games.

Bob spent some time rebuilding his Cab 11 door. Here he is cutting out curved pieces.

Grant spent the day refurbishing his Cab 13 door.

I spent the afternoon mounting the rear fender and mud flaps.

All told, it was a great day at the Hammond Barn.

Last edited by RHClarke; 16-03-09 at 15:53.
Old 16-03-09, 16:11

Guys,

Great work on the POW holders! I always look forward to your updates of the Hammond Barn; it's so nice to see you guys really try to work on the CMP's every week.

Alex
Old 16-03-09, 17:02
Terry Warner

Default Road trip!

Quote:

mike
How about a two-day roadtrip with an overnight in the middle? Some people in smaller countries don't realize Windsor to Ottawa is still in one province, but darn near a full day's drive apart.

Maybe we should plan a field trip to the CWM or Vimy House to make it worthwhile. I know Boob will be happy to regale you with tall tales and low-brow humour, but he's not the only game in town!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-03-09, 01:07
Mr. HUP

Default Weekend Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Guys, Great work on the POW holders! I always look forward to your updates of the Hammond Barn; it's so nice to see you guys really try to work on the CMP's every week. Alex
Alex,

We look forward to our Barn activities as they are indeed therapeutic. While we do not have a fixed schedule, we usually do what is needed at the Barn as the first priority (cleaning, organizing, building items, maintenance), then we work on the trucks. It is but by the grace of Bob that Grant and I are able to pursue our metal passions. He offers the best deal in town – we trade our labour for storage of our trucks and work on CMPs. We sometimes contribute to the tool and supplies cabinets, but mostly we get a hell of a deal out of Bob and truly enjoy his company, which we like to share online.

I heartily recommend that more of our fold emulate the fine examples of folks like Bob, Phil Waterman and a host of others who regularly post to this forum. And of course, an acknowledgement to Geoff W-B who is in essence, the oil that makes this machine work.

I look forward to some of your pictures, Alex (et al).
Old 18-03-09, 16:32

Default Gracies Confirmed.......

Breaker one nine.....

Gracies Bar and Grill has been booked by the Noble Order of ROTters...
All welcome and the more the merrier..

Same place....Grace O'Malleys Pub..
Ogilvie Rd..
Ottawa
Time ...17:00 Hrs ....>>>>>>
27 March..'09..
Dress...Fartigues..(For Barry and his winger,Brian)
Old 18-03-09, 17:05
Addicted to Drab

Default HUP Picks

Hey Rob,

I know the squirls are big out in Hammond but do you need to chain down the tires to keep them from being "squirled away".

cheers

Myke
Old 18-03-09, 17:48
Mr. HUP

Default Easy Pickens

Quote:
Hey Rob,I know the squirls are big out in Hammond but do you need to chain down the tires to keep them from being "squirled away". cheers Myke
Hi Myke, Sometimes even the "essence of cat" is not enough to keep the two legged rats out of the shelters. So, I secure things as best as I can. The chain is knitted among the rims so that it would take an energetic thief a lot of time to unravel the chain.

And if you think the squirrels are big, you ought to see the nuts!
Old 18-03-09, 17:57
Mr. HUP

Default Word Use

Quote:
Breaker one nine...Gracies Bar and Grill has been booked by the Noble Order of ROTters...All welcome and the more the merrier...
Alex, That is the first time I've seen "noble" and "order" used in the same sentence as "Rotters". Makes us sound almost "respectable".

Just to shake things up a bit, I may bring my better half and my Mark III to this event... The wife is curious to see how Rotters behave outside of their natural habitat...
Old 18-03-09, 20:46

Wink Better 3/4's....

Quote:
Alex, That is the first time I've seen "noble" and "order" used in the same sentence as "Rotters". Makes us sound almost "respectable".

Just to shake things up a bit, I may bring my better half and my Mark III to this event... The wife is curious to see how Rotters behave outside of their natural habitat...
Rob...
Maybe Grant will show a little couth and NOT lick his eyebrows and leer in your good womans presence...
But anything is possible at Gracies...Mix ..beer...old reprobates...greasy young lads..more beer...lies...war stories...some great grub...more beer..and late nights and anything is possible..
Is there a legal release we should have her sign as a condition of attendance...Hmmmmmmm....may not be a bad Idea for ALL Gracies drunken thrashes....
I'll have my legal department look into it...
Stand by for further info on that..

And how old is your yung'un...???He has to be at least 6 to drink beer..
Old 18-03-09, 23:00
Addicted to Drab

Default Nuts

Quote:
Hi Myke, Sometimes even the "essence of cat" is not enough to keep the two legged rats out of the shelters. So, I secure things as best as I can. The chain is knitted among the rims so that it would take an energetic thief a lot of time to unravel the chain.

And if you think the squirrels are big, you ought to see the nuts!
Ah yes the Nuts....so you found some did you....round or square?

Cheers

Myke
Old 18-03-09, 23:05
Mr. HUP

Default Hmmmm...

Quote:
Ah yes the Nuts....so you found some did you....round or square? Cheers Myke
Judging from the way they walk, I'm guessing square...
Old 19-03-09, 14:24

Default ROTer's grub shack gone....

Saint Patrick Day fire guts Chez Marie restaurant
Quote:
17 mars 2009
vision@eap.on.ca
Saint Patrick Day fire guts Chez Marie restaurantAgrandir

The Chez Marie restaurant was under renovation for an anticipated reopening under new management. But now the restaurant doors will remain closed thanks to a fire Saint Patrick’s Day morning that gutted the burned out the building interior.
Trucks and crews from the Clarence-Rockland Fire Department were called out soon after 5 a.m., March 17, to main intersection of Russell Road in Cheney village and found the Chez Marie Restaurant burning. Fire fighters extinguished the flames but the fire had gutted the interior of the structure.
No one was injured during the fire. The building itself was closed for renovations at the time. Police detoured traffic from the intersection of Russell Road and Drouin Road while fire fighters were dealing with the blaze.
No specific damage estimate from the fire was available at press time. Police and the Ontario Fire Marshall’s office are both investigating the cause of the blaze.
Anyone with information about the fire can call Det. Bruce Quevillon at the Rockland OPP office at 446-5124, or the CrimeStoppers toll-free confidential tips line at 1-800-310-8477.
The Cheney Mini Market, located across the intersection from the restaurant, serves as a pickup/dropoff point for the Lafleur Bus Line. Passengers either waiting for the bus or getting off the bus at the mini market stop between the hours of 4:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. who may have seen anything suspicious near the restaurant that day are asked to call the police or the CrimeStoppers tips line.
Old 19-03-09, 14:58
Mr. HUP

Alex,

Interesting situation. I eagerly await the investigation report. I hope they rebuild, but I will miss the "rustic" nature of Chez Marie's. Mikes Place in Hammond is our new haunt, which is where our former Chez Marie waitress now work.

In the meanwhile, I'll have moment of silence in memory of the fine dining we experienced over the past few years...
Old 19-03-09, 15:03

Chez Marie has actually been closed since the fall. There have been recent signs that a new operator was trying to renovate and reopen. It seems the fire is viewed as being of "suspicious origin". I don't think that the date of the fire means an IRA cell has taken up arms against the local french population.
Old 19-03-09, 18:50
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Sounds like an insurance job... Boobie hasn't taken up "alternate employment" recently, has he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Chez Marie has actually been closed since the fall. There have been recent signs that a new operator was trying to renovate and reopen. It seems the fire is viewed as being of "suspicious origin". I don't think that the date of the fire means an IRA cell has taken up arms against the local french population.
Old 19-03-09, 22:34

About time for some more pictures of your grandson in action. Other wise we cannot share in him growing up.

All the best guys

Regards

Col
Old 20-03-09, 16:31
Mr. HUP

Default No! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Sounds like an insurance job... Boobie hasn't taken up "alternate employment" recently, has he?
Bob is beyond reproach here! First, he isn't of a Fenian bent, and second, he only likes his toast lightly burnt...
Old 20-03-09, 16:48
Mr. HUP

Default Taste for Beer

Quote:
Rob...And how old is your yung'un...???He has to be at least 6 to drink beer..
Alex,

Jesse has yet to develop a taste for the golden elixir. He still prefers milk or juice. Being six earns him a free pass, but I am sure that with the passage of time, my beer stock will dwindle suspiciously...it's in the genes.
Old 21-03-09, 01:38
Terry Warner

Default Guests, boys and an agenda?

Quote:
Alex,

Jesse has yet to develop a taste for the golden elixir. He still prefers milk or juice. Being six earns him a free pass, but I am sure that with the passage of time, my beer stock will dwindle suspiciously...it's in the genes.
My 8-yr old will be coming too, with his DS. I will submit his leave pass to the Residential Sergeant Major once homework has passed inspection. Then she will head to the opposite end of the city for her own hobby group.

What is the agenda. or is that too much to ask? Didn't someone want to show off their plasma cutter pictures?

I circulated the announcement to a few fellows on Facebook who are in a military Jeep group there. Who knows, we might see some more new faces.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-03-09, 02:49

Default Jeff .........Not me.......

Jeff

I did not do it and have two perfect aliby.... alibies.... wallibies....

Any ways, the fire was started at 5:00 am..... now everyone knows and Grant and Rob will vouch for me... I do not get up that early......

Secondly.... when I light a fire..... it really stays lit...... I would have used more gasoline and I am partial to nearly empty paint cans or starter fluid!!!!

Whoooommmmm!!!

BooBee
Canada
Old 23-03-09, 15:01
Mr. HUP

Default Full Weekend at the Barn

A banner weekend! The barn was a hotbed of activity all weekend. The sun was shining and the temperature went above zero on both days. The only down side was the yard turning into a mud bath.

On Saturday, we tended to the usual housekeeping chores. Grant and Bob continued to work on their door reconstruction project - Bob will post photos later. Bob and I welded the hinges and door flaps on to the 1 gallon POW can holders.

Guy Vapeur stopped by to have a look at some of the metal laying about the wagon lines. The conversation at our lunch at Mike's Place was dominated by the cancelled road trip. We were going to the Toronto area to look at some vintage iron, but technical difficulties postponed our trip. There was talk of going next Saturday, but traveling early in the morning following a Gracie's call was deemed "not a good thing" to consider...

On Sunday, I dragged some down-east mechanical and electrical talent to the barn. My older brother was in town on leave, so I put him to work. He spent most of his visit completing the many tasks I threw at him.

After adjusting floor plates, some grinding, adjusting and fitting of the HUP nose, and a dozen other jobs I ran out of things for him to do. I am grateful for his assistance as a lot of jobs that needed to be done were done quickly and accurately. I am trying to convince his wife to get him posted to Ottawa, but so far, no sale...

As mentioned we fitted the clip to the front of the HUP. After adjusting the radiator and support rods, there were some clearance issues, but nothing that can't be solved with a little heat and pressure.

I got goaded by the Hammond Hoard into a "glory shot" in front of the HUP. Ever so obliging, I showed my good side with a winning smile:

Old 23-03-09, 15:52

Default Looking good

Need I say more, looks like you are making real progress.

Though I must say using three people to put the nose on is cheating. Though I bet it went on quicker that way.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-03-09, 16:08
Mr. HUP

Default Any Advantage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Need I say more, looks like you are making real progress.Though I must say using three people to put the nose on is cheating. Though I bet it went on quicker that way. Cheers Phil
Phil, I took advantage of the available "horsepower" at the barn. One more advantage of working with a crew like the Hammond Quartet. Everyone at the barn is curious about the HUP as it differs in so many ways from the "real CMPs" as Bob and Grant put it...

Of course, we could have wheeled the HUP into the barn and use the overhead gantry system Bob installed, but the sunshine and fresh air was too nice to pass up.

Just another great day at the Hammond Barn!
Old 24-03-09, 02:59

Default Doors and more doors....

Finally got to the sheet metal part of the project.... one I dread being not very familiar with body work and the proper way of working sheet metal. Oh don't get me wrong... I read the books... seen the video... the proff of the "putine" is when you start to do it....

My cab 11 doors are not too badly rotted... just the bottom outside skin will need replacing. But before tackling the good one I felt I should practice first. Being lucky enough to have acquired the cab 12 from Ajax.... affectionately known as TED'S truck which is a 42 something cab 12 and theone I got from Doug Weatherstone (spelling?) a known cab 12 I removed all the doors and started to practice.

Grant was my able assistant and sometimes lead hand in this venture. We started by dismantling the doors many screws, bolts, etc..... and thereby removed the inner skin, the lock mechanism, handles, etc..... all to be saved in jars and labelled Zip lock plastic bags.

The doors were really "Hollier than Thou" in the bottom quadrant.... see the attached pictures.

It became obvious that we would need some 14 gauge sheet metal bent to shape by a patient and understanding fabricator.

IN the disassembly stage we discovered that the "wedge" that aligns the doors when shut latching mechanisms in the door and the striker plates that holds the door closed all had to be coordinated..... see pictures of the wedge on my cab 11.... the various striker plates... and the latch the we obtained from Mac Auto.... the Ford parts palce in Niagara Falls. After all if the door handles on a Chev cab 11 are Ford... why wouldn't the latch mechanism...?

We also found the pot metal tubes that fit inside the top of the cab 11 doors... the ones that accept the rod form the canvass curtains also at Mac Auto.......

So let me end this one posting with a series of pictures... more info to follow.

First two pics shows the inside, once the inside panel was removed and the outside condition. The sheet metal and the door frame was completely eaten away by metal termites....

The third is a seperate door with same affliction....

Boob
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM8791enlresized.jpg   HPIM8789enl.jpg   HPIM8714enlresized.jpg  
Canada