MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 30-12-09, 05:18
Mr. HUP

Default 12,000 Views in Sight

We are rapidly approching the 12K view mark for this thread. One of these days I am going to total up the Hammond Barn threads for a "view" total. I suppose the popularity of this thread comes down to one or two items: leadership and/or curiosity.

As a crusty old Warrant Officer related to me during my classification training those many decades ago - "people follow people either because of their leadership abilities, or out of curiosity to see what they f*ck up next"

I think we have good doses of both with this thread, and I look forward to more Hammond Barn "leadership" and "foul ups" in 2010.
Old 30-12-09, 16:35

Default To the Hammon Barn Crew

Has the deal gone through to turn the Hammon Barn into a Reality Television Series? I think you guys would be a lot more interesting to watch than some of the TV programs on today.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 30-12-09, 17:11
Mr. HUP

Default Reality at the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Has the deal gone through to turn the Hammon Barn into a Reality Television Series? I think you guys would be a lot more interesting to watch than some of the TV programs on today. Cheers Phil
Phil,

An interesting idea, but then we would actually have to show progress on our trucks. Additionally, we would have to have some young busty bikini-clad girls as assistants. Not too many of them hanging around the barn.

The wives probably would not go for the "assistants" anyway, and I am sure none of the Hammond crew looks good in a bikini... although once at Halloween, I dressed up as a...never mind.

Until one of us wins the lottery it appears that the barn will continue to measure progress part by part, post by post on MLU.
Old 31-12-09, 00:46
Gilles Chartrand

Default Storage Containers

We have been using containers to store our smaller vehicles. An Iltis will fit with no problem, we have stored our M37 in a container, the only problem : we had to crawl out of the windshield.
We have 3 x 20 ft containers and 1 x 40 ft high cube and to answer the query will it satisfy the insurance company the answer is YES. the container can be locked more securely than a garage door. What we do is park 2 containers with about 8-10 ft apart and park a vehicle between the containers. The average price for a container is $2200 for a 40 ft and $2700 for a 20 ft.
The containers can be purchased in Mtl or Toronto, to find a good price pick up the Heavy truck trader and check the ads, also check to see where the containers are located. If buying 2 x 20 ft the transport is the same as a 40 ft. It is a good time to buy a container as there is a surplus of them, nobody gives them away but specials are there. Last purchase we got 2 x 20ft containers for $1900 ea.
Old 31-12-09, 00:50
Gilles Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Thnx guys. The promised delivery did not occur as the vendor could not contact his friends with the car trailer. We will again try during the week.
If anyone has transport needs call me, we have a 24 ft gooseneck trailer that can haul 2 1/2 tons, Gilles
Old 31-12-09, 16:44

Default Check with insurance carrier before using storage container

Check with your insurance carrier before deciding on a steel shipping container I have heard that not all consider them acceptable.

I have a friend who has been storing his 57 Thunderbird in one and ran into a insurance problem over them.

Also obvious be sure that you check them for leaks. A question I have how do they do for locking out or in moisture? Is there a condensation problem?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 31-12-09, 18:01

Default Bonjour Phil

Locked in moisture can be a problem.......

.....depending on the model some containers do have some kind of water proof vents.... more intended to equalize inner/outer air pressure but not large enough to remove moisture.

I have seen modified containers used for storage of chemicals and "in process" sheet metal and all of them had been retro fitted with ventilation system some passive other had electric fans....... once the air is circulated condensation can be kept to a minimum. It certainly can't be worst than driving your car in a semi heated car garage with a car dripping with road salt every night.

I think a ventilation fan with a solar power hook up would be ideal.

All the Best for the NEW YEAR...

Boob
Canada
Old 31-12-09, 21:41
Addicted to Drab

Default containers

mmmmm I wonder if the Frau would notice that I replaced the temporary shelter with a Sea Can....perhaps If I put the temp tarp over it....great extension for the garage. I wonder if she wants to go on a shopping trip out of town for a couple of days....?

Mike
Old 31-12-09, 23:22
Lionel G. Evans

Default Condensation + Containers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Locked in moisture can be a problem.......

.....depending on the model some containers do have some kind of water proof vents.... more intended to equalize inner/outer air pressure but not large enough to remove moisture.

I have seen modified containers used for storage of chemicals and "in process" sheet metal and all of them had been retro fitted with ventilation system some passive other had electric fans....... once the air is circulated condensation can be kept to a minimum. It certainly can't be worst than driving your car in a semi heated car garage with a car dripping with road salt every night.

I think a ventilation fan with a solar power hook up would be ideal.

All the Best for the NEW YEAR...

Boob
G'day fellow MLU'ers

Moisture trapped inside can be a big problem - my sister had furniture and other goods inside a container for 12 months and most of it was ruined because of the condensation trapped inside.

If it had something like a whirlybird fitted to it this might not have been an issue. Not sure if the same product has different names around the world so here is a picture and a link to the site http://www.edmonds.com.au/html/produ...ator_300mm.htm. There is also a solar powered fan like Bob suggested http://www.solatube.com.au/homeowner...FQQwpAoduX7XzQ

As I formerly come from a horticulture background it was not uncommon to have shipping containers converted as chemical storage sheds and these were fitted with whirlybirds and did not leak. They also had the bonus of being lockable.

Anyway Happy New Year to all from Bundaberg Queensland Australia.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Attached Images

Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 31-12-09, 23:45
Rick Cove

We have just shifted 2 containers to our place. They are an unusual size, 24 ft x 9ft6in high and8ft 4 wide. These came from the India-Pacific railway here in OZ and are insulated inside as well. We have put them 20ft apart and are fitting a gable roof over the complete setup. That will allow under cover parking for 2 vehicles and secure storage for the spares. Municipal approval is required in this area for that set up, but still much cheaper than the equivelent shed.

Do we get a new thread for Hammond Barn 2010?

Happy New Year you guys.
Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 01-01-10, 00:17

Thanks for the whirlybird suggestion. The concept of spacing the containers to allow parking between them seems close to universal.
In suburban Ottawa even a 20 foot container is large enough to need approvals (anything over 100 square feet, I think) but Bob is blessed with the less restrictive rules in Hammond.
Old 01-01-10, 00:35

Default Same Problem in the States

The anything over a 100 sq.ft. rule is common in the US even if it is a canvas shelter. Heaven for bid my brother was a building inspector in one snotty community would get complaints ratting out the next door kid's tree house.

We live have lived in the same place for 30+ years and now they reservoir we over look wants to know what we have stored in our garage to which I responded by sending them a photo of their own little paint can dump (30 years of paint and beer cans) strangely I have not heard from them since.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 01-01-10, 00:54

Default The Hammond building rule.....

... if it is behind the tree line and they can't see it.... it don't exist..

He** will even camouflage the container if need be......

A couple of weeks ago my neighbour called to say there was lights in the back field....... choked on my steak.... grabbed the friendly social pursue-hayder and ran out back..... after a few 12 ga. blasts and ensuing flash the kids came to our position..... situation was cleared up,,,, nephews of neighbours are not permit free access to my CMP parking lot.......

Back field has been quiet since........ that's what we call by law enforcement in Hammond...

Boobboooom
Canada
Old 01-01-10, 04:06

Angry Can't see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
... if it is behind the tree line and they can't see it.... it don't exist..

Boobboooom
Bob if there are hydro lines going across your property the hydro guys may report you. This happened to a guy near me. Hydro was doing infrared pictures on the lines looking for hot spots and sent the pictures that showed his old cars to the bylaw dept. Some people just can't mind there own business.
Paul
Old 01-01-10, 06:28

Default Nah.... !

No hydro lines near by..... besides they are to busy looking for pot growers which is the cash crop around Hammond.....

Pay 5 bucks for the potted plant... grow and fertilize with Vigaro all Summer and get $100 per female plant from the same source in October.... then the sale of Ski Doos goes up for November...... some guy around here grows them behind his garage facing South..... 8 feet monsters..... 50 feet from the paved road..... I don't smoke... never did.... but chewing the tops has anice delayed reaction.... at least according to what I read in a book...

You can tell when they are ready for the picking..... the local corner store runs out of cake mix, frozen strawberries, whipped cream cans, chocolate bars, etc......

Mind you if need be we could use a few balloon barage......

Nearest daring thing we did was fire the Bofor and the 6 pounder in the back field on the same weekend they had the G8 conference in Montebello and security helicopters were flying directly over the back lot....

If they charged local resident for each and every infraction the court system would bog down for decades.....

Happy New Year everyone.....

Boob
Canada
Old 01-01-10, 06:56
David Pope

One nice thing about a prairie farmyard- you can put up anything you want without getting permission from anyone as long as it's low enough to not interfere with air traffic. Another bonus- you can shoot off what ever you want and nobody will notice. In the rare case where somebody does notice, they don't care anyway.
On the moisture issue, some people build metal quonsets with a dirt floor and when the moisture condenses on the roof it rains inside. A cement floor cures the problem.
It's just hitting midnight so Happy New Year to all fellow MLUers!!
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 01-01-10, 17:13
Mr. HUP

Default New Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
...Do we get a new thread for Hammond Barn 2010?
Rick
Bien sur! Keep an eye out for a new thread entitled "Hammond...2010".
Old 02-01-10, 01:58
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Gentlemen of Hammond, we look forward to your continuing adventures at the Hammond Barn, 2010! Here's hoping we see one or more of your vehicles running by BB4!! I think you'll do it...
Old 02-01-10, 02:28
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Reality show

I don't think you'd need bikini girls, but it wouldn't hurt. What seems to be the standard on such shows as I have watched is an undersize scoop-neck T-shirt over a push-up bra and tight jeans. Byronesque (as in Kari) red hair would be good, but blonde always works, of course.
That said, for such a show to work, someone would have to get on someone else's nerves a lot, when the cameras are rolling, and maybe throw tools now and again in frustration.
Stuff would have to not work, then dramatically work just when all seems lost. Swearing, to be beeped out would be obligatory. Sound anything like what goes on there?

That said - a happy new year to you all!
Old 02-01-10, 05:39
Mr. HUP

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmperry4 View Post
...bikini girls...undersize scoop-neck T-shirt over a push-up bra and tight jeans. Byronesque (as in Kari) red hair ...blonde always works, of course. That said, for such a show to work, someone would have to get on someone else's nerves a lot, when the cameras are rolling, and maybe throw tools now and again in frustration. Stuff would have to not work, then dramatically work just when all seems lost. Swearing, to be beeped out would be obligatory. Sound anything like what goes on there?
Everything but the girl related stuff...pity. While there has yet to be any tool throwing, there have been some dramatics at the barn. There are differences of opinions, unwanted advice, ignored advice and stuff of that nature, but nothing that prevents us from sharing a beer at the end of the day. I'm afraid that the "Hammond Barn Reality Show" is limited to one "boobie", and a few loose nuts...
Old 02-01-10, 15:13

Default Reality Show..........

Being a quasi-member of the Hammond Crew and a witness to the activities..... there are other elements that would make for good television viewing.....hell I am not sure that a full length movie is not in the works.

Let us begin with a segment showing the Hammond Crew planning their next recovery...........I already have to back up..... the Hammond Crew receives information that a CMP might/may/is available for salvage/purchase/or repossession. The member finding the treasure now becomes the lead/oic/commandant and other members fall in. There is much discussion on what price should be paid. At this same time the vendor/victim/target is thinking how much he should ask for the sale of the treasure/cmp. There are lengthy discussions which may take years to resolve.

Once a price has been settled on, the recovery trip becomes center stage. Already the route is being plotted to cover as much territory as possible. There are stops anticipated for perusal of future purchases, stops at MLU member residences to reconnoiter present restorations at that location and sniff out needed parts.

The recovery in itself would make for a short segment. Like a military raid, the purpose of the operation is to gather as much intel/parts and accessories as possible and leave. The return trip home is usually very quiet. All energies and thoughts have been spent. The purchaser may bemoan the fact that he has paid full price but he will be reminded that all four rims are in good shape and well worth the price.

The next scene is back at the barn. The boys are all grinning. It is a warm grin..... they say little....any visitor to the barn is greeted with a warm glow....and the new acquisition is pointed out. Penetrating oil is passed around freely....all nuts and bolts that may be undone in the next 5 years are given a liberal dose.....The tractor is warmed up... the chains are attached and with pomp and ceremony, the new acquisition is put on parade. Once properly parked and aligned, the cmp is put at ease, stand easy and one final glance is given before the crew returns to the barn.....

Information has been received that another piece of kit might be available.
Old 02-01-10, 15:35
Mr. HUP

Default Addendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyvapeur View Post
...Information has been received that another piece of kit might be available.
The final scene per episode should be a shot of the look on the wife’s incredulous face, as she shakes her head in disbelief. Cue in ominous music and fade to black with an unidentified Rotter pleading “It’s Clive’s truck”…
Old 02-01-10, 16:05
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Any Gracie action

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
The final scene per episode should be a shot of the look on the wife’s incredulous face, as she shakes her head in disbelief. Cue in ominous music and fade to black with an unidentified Rotter pleading “It’s Clive’s truck”…
Rob..
Any Gracies action for Monday night in honour of Gary Bath Jr..and he hasn't replied either to my show of hands for Monday night..Any interest..?
Alex