MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 15-12-09, 17:25

Default Worth..... value....

Kris

All the seats are old....... and worth a "Nominal Egg"....... not sure we have spares but will talk...... there are other sources....

Your quest has just begun...... at least you have time on your side and not close to receiving a full annuity soon !!!!

Boob
Canada
Old 18-12-09, 19:07
Mr. HUP

Default Prototype Progress

The 45 HUP is pretty much wrapped up for the winter. That gives me some time to work on the Prototype HUP. An interesting accessory came with the Prototype. Any guesses as to what it is? Members of the Chicken Ranch and the Hammond Rotters already know what this is, so they are disqualified from this “game”. By the way, ignore the “crabfat” blue paint on the item.

More photos later...

Old 19-12-09, 01:14
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Any guesses as to what it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
The 45 HUP is pretty much wrapped up for the winter. That gives me some time to work on the Prototype HUP. An interesting accessory came with the Prototype. Any guesses as to what it is? Members of the Chicken Ranch and the Hammond Rotters already know what this is, so they are disqualified from this “game”. By the way, ignore the “crabfat” blue paint on the item.

More photos later...

Rob..
It's a big blurr...That's what it is..What do I win..??
Old 19-12-09, 05:35
Mr. HUP

Default We Have a Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Rob. It's a big blurr...That's what it is..What do I win..??
Alex, That was the effect I was looking for - no sense in making it easy. You win another try. Actually, it was so cold in the barn that day that the lens on my mobile device frosted over. However, the eagle-eyed among us can surely guess what the thin metal box is all about...

Old 20-12-09, 03:01
Mr. HUP

Default Last Shot

Must be the crappy photography...here is another bad shot of the object in question.

Old 20-12-09, 04:37
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Mystery item

Storage for Monsanto windows?
Old 20-12-09, 04:51

Default Aaaah duh....

...Pizza holder......

.......... Playboy holder.......

.................one sheet at a time toilet paper dispenser.......

............................... early Kleenex box before they discovered they could be folded......

............................. large condom holder.................

............ hat box for broad minded officers..........................

Bou Boo Bee Doo
Canada
Old 20-12-09, 05:21
Mr. HUP

Default Creative...But No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
...Pizza holder No the guts would slip off if stored vertical

...Playboy holder No, nothing that tame got into my command post

...one sheet at a time toilet paper dispenser No, the dimensions don't match

... early Kleenex box before they discovered they could be folded No, it' snot

...large condom holder No, size regular

...hat box for broad minded officers No, but see Playboy holder answer about broads

Bou Boo Bee Doo
Keep em coming folks!
Old 20-12-09, 05:23
Mr. HUP

Default Very Creative. But No Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmperry4 View Post
Storage for Monsanto windows?
Nice one, Mark. You might get one frame in there if you put it on its end. It is a storage box tho'...the question remains - What is stored in it?
Old 20-12-09, 06:49

hmm i would put my GPS in there.
Old 20-12-09, 08:21

I'll say it's for maps
Old 20-12-09, 16:46
Mr. HUP

Default And You Would Be Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo.NT View Post
I'll say it's for maps
Kris was oh, so close with his GPS suggestion, but Yeo.NT is right on the money. It is a map case that is fixed to a wall of the prototype. It is made of light sheet metal and as the poor quality photos show, has a hinged lid on top and a hinged drop side making for easy access to the maps.

Yeo.NT, the next time you are in Hammond, we will crack open a brew together.
Old 20-12-09, 16:56

I will most certainly make pilgrimage one day, only just up the river in Petawawa. Work likes to keep me busy "restoring" their fleet.
Old 20-12-09, 17:11
Mr. HUP

Default Nulli Secundus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo.NT View Post
I will most certainly make pilgrimage one day, only just up the river in Petawawa. Work likes to keep me busy "restoring" their fleet.
Are you base side or 2 Svc Bn? I was posted to Pet (SSF days) in the interesting mid 80's (pre-Somalia deployment, missing weaponry, etc...). Nonetheless, Pet was a great "soldier" posting, but a bitch on family life back then...

Looking forward to meeting you sometime in the future - maybe you can get to Ottawa for a Gracie's beer call, and or a visit to the barn.
Old 21-12-09, 04:42

Posted 1RCR, got out of Svc Bn soon as i could. As I said work keeps me busy deploying in May thus not much time for myself these days
Old 21-12-09, 16:29
Mr. HUP

Default Sea Container - CMP Storage. Yes or No?

Has anyone had success storing their vehicles in sea containers? I know that Gunner has a great set up at the S&P Museum with a can that has four roll up doors on it. Gilles in Cantley used one to store an Iltis, but has anyone used a plain-jane sea can for CMP storage? Will it satisfy the insurance company's security requirement (insured vehicle must be in a locked facility, etc...).

I did a check on the internet for used sea cans in central Canada and it seems that they are available. 40 foot long high ceiling cans are going for about 2K, not including transport (from Montreal or Toronto). Not sure if this is reasonable cost or not.

Any thoughts/experiences?
Old 22-12-09, 05:47
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Quote:
Kris was oh, so close with his GPS suggestion, but Yeo.NT is right on the money. It is a map case that is fixed to a wall of the prototype. It is made of light sheet metal and as the poor quality photos show, has a hinged lid on top and a hinged drop side making for easy access to the maps.
Well, now that you say it, it's obvious enough, should have guessed that.
Old 22-12-09, 06:18
David Pope

You can usually get a container delivered for next to nothing since they'll fill it with paying freight that they deliver before getting to you.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 23-12-09, 22:11
RIP

Bob, Rob

How is access to my shelter? I was thinking of bringing my son's new (to him) Iltis on Saturday and trying to get it in there with the sports car. Failing that I will find a quiet corner of the Hammond Vehicle Repair Depot (VRD) and wrap it up with a decent tarp.

Clive
Old 23-12-09, 23:56

Saturday is Boxing Day, are you bringing a big box (one of Rob's requested shipping containers) for the new addition to the fleet? 20 footers would be easier to get into the barn area, if you could do a 40 footer (Bob and I think there's a conflict between turn radius and trees that he wants to preserve, Rob is more optimistic) it might fit all 3 of the TR, trailer and Iltis.
Old 25-12-09, 06:37
Mr. HUP

Default Merry Christmas from the Rotters!

AD Wng Red. The fat man is on his way. All the best to those who peer in or comment on the goings on at the barn.
Old 25-12-09, 16:33
Mr. HUP

Default Access Denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Bob, Rob How is access to my shelter? I was thinking of bringing my son's new (to him) Iltis on Saturday and trying to get it in there with the sports car. Failing that I will find a quiet corner of the Hammond Vehicle Repair Depot (VRD) and wrap it up with a decent tarp.
Clive
Hi Clive, Your shelter is snowed in. You will have to chat with Bob to determine where to park the Iltis. I am looking forward to seeing the newest addition to the vehicle inventory.
Old 25-12-09, 17:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Hi Clive, Your shelter is snowed in. You will have to chat with Bob to determine where to park the Iltis. I am looking forward to seeing the newest addition to the vehicle inventory.
Rob, just tell him to bring his own shovel - he needs the exercise anyway...

BTW, and apropos of nothing whatsoever, as much as I hate this city, Toronto has ZERO snow on the ground as of yet. That must means something, Shirley...

Have a great Christmas Day, all of you Rotters!
Old 25-12-09, 17:37
Mr. HUP

Default Exercise for All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Rob, just tell him to bring his own shovel - he needs the exercise anyway... BTW, and apropos of nothing whatsoever, as much as I hate this city, Toronto has ZERO snow on the ground as of yet. That must means something, Shirley... Have a great Christmas Day, all of you Rotters!
Geoff, Only the body shops and the army are happy that there is no snow in TO. We are hovering around the freezing mark here in Ottawa and the side streets are a mess. There is no shortage of snow here. We went from warm and muddy to frikking cold and snowy in just a few days, and until this week, it was very cold.

Other than a few days cutting wood, not much got done at the barn other than chewing the fat. Speaking of which, the Hammond Rotters have put on more than a little weight in 2009. We are looking a little pudgy, so we will have to get more exercise recovering CMPs in 2010.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and don't call me Shirley...

Last edited by RHClarke; 26-12-09 at 05:16. Reason: To kill a smilie...
Old 26-12-09, 20:10

Default Hammond barn still there.....

....and so are all the little canvass barnees....... although thoroughly covered with ice......

Clive if the Iltis can be driven it should not be a problem....... some of the snow in front of your shelter could be cleared up with the tractor and the Iltis driven in....... if you need to push it in manually it will need some strong arm shovelling as the snow is ice crusted and soaked with water........ the alternative is to tow it to the near back field and cocoon in canvas until next Spring....... probably less physically demanding.

NOTE........ I will not be available to tractor things until Monday....... rain cancelled family gathering for today until tomorrow......

In any event parking another vehicle is not a problem.......

Geoff..... Yes we Rotters all hate Toronto when they still have green grass and we are stuck with freezing rain.......

....and who the He** is Shirley..........

All the Best for the coming New Year....... I understand next year, according to the CHinese calender, is the year of the CMP......

Boob
Canada
Old 26-12-09, 20:23
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
... the alternative is to tow it to the near back field and cocoon in canvas until next Spring.......

Boob
The vendor is delivering Sunday at 1PM and cocooned in the back field sounds like the best answer.

Quote:
In any event parking another vehicle is not a problem.......
Many thnx Bob for hosting these ROTs (and their 1/4-ton cousins)

Clive
Old 28-12-09, 03:20
Mr. HUP

Default Wild Weather at the Barn

What a hellish day - weather wise... Yesterday we had a bit of rain and last night we were stricken with freezing rain, which put a nice icy cap on the soggy snow. While not as severe as our infamous icestorm ( see: http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/weather/p/icestorm.htm), there was cause for concern. I spent the morning checking the integrity of the roof of my house and clearing away some of the ice that was forming dams on the eaves. In 1998, my home (like thousands of others) suffered damage to the roof and we were "awash" with water infiltrating from ice daming.

This morning the sidestreets were glare ice, and the ensuing demolition derby got underway. It warmed up to 0oC near the noon hour and the ice that was coating the trees started dropping little ice bombs. After making sure the drive and walk ways were well salted, I headed out to the barn.

The main roads were well cleared and salted. Upon turning into Bob's laneway, the world changed. Bob's trees had suffered from the effects of the ice build up. There were branches littering the road all the way to the barn. Bob and Joyce were out earlier clearing large branches from the road to the barn and putting out feed for the local fauna.

Glazed donut:

There was about an inch of ice built up on the shelters, but it came off with one hit with the snow rake, or a shake of the frame cleared both sides of the shelters. The barn was in the process of shedding the tons of snow on its roof. Some of the falling snow and ice came down with a thud that made sure you paid attention to where you walked.

Bob cranked up the tractor to clear tons of slush from the laneway. The snow blower did double duty as a wood chipper as the smaller branches got munched up with the snow. After the laneway was cleared, we made a "road" to Clive's shelter. It is now ready to receive a small green vehicle.

We did a small tour of the property to see if there was any damage, but luckily only the trees counted as casualties. Mind you, some of the ice falling from the 50 foot trees gave us cause for concern... The tour of the vehicle park revealed a nice blue tarp hanging on some trees. Kris' attempt to tarp his newly acquired HUP did not stand up to the high winds we had last week. I took only a few minutes to retarp the truck, and it was back to the barn.

A HUP rewrapped for "Kris-mas":

As the afternoon wore on, we chatted about the New Year. It looks like more of the same for 2010. Time will tell.

Last edited by RHClarke; 11-01-10 at 01:40.
Old 28-12-09, 03:32
RIP

Quote:
After the laneway was cleared, we made a "road" to Clive's shelter. It is now ready to receive a small green vehicle.
Thnx guys. The promised delivery did not occur as the vendor could not contact his friends with the car trailer. We will again try during the week.

Clive
Old 28-12-09, 16:44

Default Is the ILtis running,,,,,

........ we can pull it to the front of the Winter shelter...... will need to push it in..... or borrow a small portable winch from Guy Vapeur !!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 28-12-09, 21:20

Default many thanks

A HUP rewrapped for "Kris-mas":

Rob many thanks ...its all i really wanted for xmas this year